Pretty please - what did you do?

allthatgl1tt3rs

I scoured the Industry Discussion forum from beginning to end and couldn't find anything on this:

I'm in a full-time office job and have been getting into make-up artistry since last summer. I love it so much that I want to make a proper go of it and I have my sights set on a course that will be held later this year - it will cover everything from fashion to TV/film makeup which is the direction I want to take. Anyway once the course is completed, you can go on their books which means they can give you a gentle nudge and get work for you when they get calls.

Obviously I'll have to do my own networking etc. to source my own jobs but my concern is that:

In order to say yes to future incoming freelance jobs I can't really take up a full time job - otherwise how am I going to be available? The more I turn down MU work, the less calls I'll get (I could keep the job I have now but there's every chance I won't be able to due to the course being 3 weeks long and they may not allow me to take the time off to complete it).

However MU jobs aren't going to be rolling in for me having had so little exposure so I can't just sit around waiting - so could I get a part-time job and still remain flexible to take up the MU freelance jobs?

Out of curiosity, MUAs out there - what did you do at first so you could keep the money coming in? I don't live at home with my parents and I have rent and bills to pay. If I get into financial trouble I'll pull my bf with me and I want to obviously avoid this as much as poss!

Any advice/encounters would be so much appreciated!

TIA x

Le-Saboteur

I completed a one year certificate course in make up design and production last year, and this year I'm still working full-time, but my hours are 'flexible'. So far this year I've done a few weddings, special events and have worked on a feature film... There's no way I would have been able to support myself without this job, very rarely (if ever) do brand new make up artists make enough to support themselves freelancing- at least not in NZ.

Unless you're going for a counter job I don't think there's any way you can get out of working, at least part time. Every one who came out of the course is working, bar one girl who is living with her parents, and she hasn't had any more make up jobs than I have.

allthatgl1tt3rs

Thank you for sharing!!
yes.gif

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do in your full-time job that offers the flexibility you need?