pretty upset

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyKisses1018

I don't mean to sound rude.

but..

Some of the admin's are rude as hell towards me and some of the people on here and I don't appreciate it.

Some people get mad if other people on here open old threads.. then they complain.
Sometimes when I try searching things; I can't find what I am looking for. ( In other words; sometimes the search engine on here acts BUNK as hell)

So I posted something on here today because I couldn't find what I wanted to know and an administrator closed my thread down.

It's not fair to me that this sometimes happens.

I talked to a couple of my friends that are on here about how rude some of the admins are.

I have a suggestion; Fix your search engine so that when I are someone else that is having the same problesm as me on here don't have to feel pist off over admins. closing our threads.

Thanks.

duch3ss25

You know you come off really strong here. I understand that you are frustrated but like other sites/search engines, it takes several attempts before you find what you're looking for. Considering that this is a free site, be nice and please take into account the amount of effort that Janice and the admins put into Specktra to give the high quality information we all enjoy.

FullWroth

Okay, color me confused.

How are the moderators being rude to you? The only thing you say they did is close your thread. How is that rude? That's just enforcing the forum rules they're asked to enforce.

Did the moderator call you names? Did the moderator tell you to get off the forums and never come back?

I'm honestly trying to understand where the rudeness is here, because the only thing I saw in my "new posts" thing was a Jordana thread you started that got closed because it was a duplicate. Um, that's pretty normal. You started a duplicate thread, so a moderator closed it and even went out of their way to find the original thread and link you to it so you could find what you were looking for there.

So, you broke a forum rule, and a moderator told you that you did, gave you the information you were looking for, and did not penalize you for it at all. How was the moderator supposed to know that you already searched? They're not mind readers, after all.

Where's the rudeness there? And how is it not impolite to air this publicly rather than privately contacting the moderator and telling them how you feel and why, and working it out between the two of you?

Relax, moderator actions aren't personal attacks, they're a matter of protocol.

<i> It's not fair to me that this sometimes happens.</i>

How is it not fair to you? Everyone is using the same search engine. What are you expecting from it? It's a simple word search, not a personal butler. If you type the word "Jordana" in, all that's gonna come up is every single post with the word "Jordana" in it, and that includes FOTDs with a product listed under that name and poll threads like "What is your favorite product?" All search engines are like this. You just need to keep clicking the "next" button until you find what you want; it's not that hard, and with the internet, you don't even have to get off your butt to do it, and there's no scouring library bookshelves for just the right decimal number.

And you know, sometimes it happens that you overlook the thread you're trying to find, because you're tired or your eyes just skip over it - okay, that's cool. But it doesn't change that you're posting a duplicate thread, and the moderator will have to close it down because that's a forum rule - no duplicate threads. That doesn't make it *rude*.

And you're probably going to think I'm being rude to you right now too, but oh well, I tried. Being a moderator is a thankless job, and people overreacting and taking things personally when a moderator is actually HELPFUL to them just bothers me.

lipshock

To be brutally honest, something like this should have been brought up in PRIVATE between you and the administrators that you say are at fault and being rude to you.

Though, to add my two cents in, if this post is in retaliation against your Jordana thread being closed for being a duplicate thread ... you are overreacting and stating untrue things about Juneplum --- whom for one has never been rude to anyone on this board (from my knowledge) and, most importantly, who was not being rude to you. Especially since she offered you a link to a thread that you would find useful in your search regarding Jordana products. Also FYI, it is forum rule on Specktra that there be no duplicate threads, so this is why she closed your post.

But I'm not stepping anymore into this. You should PM her and discuss this with her instead of potentially starting a fire here on the boards, in public view.

redambition

have you tried using the advanced search option? it allows you to filter which forums you are searching as well as defining other criteria so that the search is more accurate. it works a lot better than just typing your query in the search box if you are looking for something that is potentially mentioned in a lot of threads in different parts of the forum.

the search engine that's on here is on par with many other forums sites that use the same software - i am pretty sure it's part of the forum software itself. if it's part of the software it would make it quite difficult to change it.

the rules apply to everyone equally, no matter who had posted that thread it would have been closed. if you do have issues with a mod then a PM is usually the best way to talk things over and sort things out.

HTHs.

edit: in regards to the opening of old threads... if the thread is timeless (like name your favourite (blank), questions about a line etc) then there shouldn't be an issue - and i say shame on those who nark at it.

then there are those resurrected threads where the OP asked for advice or something, the issue gets resolved... and then months or years later the thread jumps up with the new post providing advice for the original post. this happens to be a pet peeve for many people as it doesn't make sense, so that's when you might see some irritation being displayed.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyKisses1018
I don't mean to sound rude.

but..

Some of the admin's are rude as hell towards me and some of the people on here and I don't appreciate it.

Some people get mad if other people on here open old threads.. then they complain.
Sometimes when I try searching things; I can't find what I am looking for. ( In other words; sometimes the search engine on here acts BUNK as hell)

So I posted something on here today because I couldn't find what I wanted to know and an administrator closed my thread down.

It's not fair to me that this sometimes happens.

I talked to a couple of my friends that are on here about how rude some of the admins are.

I have a suggestion; Fix your search engine so that when I are someone else that is having the same problesm as me on here don't have to feel pist off over admins. closing our threads.

Thanks.

The FAQ and the TOS may be of some assistance to you.
As far as people being rude etc., I can't agree with that statement in the slightest. We work hard to keep the site flowing smoothly, and, if you'll notice number 17 on the TOS, you'll see why the thread was closed.

Having uncountable duplicate threads on the same subject is difficult to manage, redundant, AND tiresome to the people who answer the same questions repeatedly. There are numerous artists, and many highly experienced members, on this site who take the time to hand out a little of their knowledge when it's beneficial, and answering 65465196876516231387 questions with the same core point is...irritating, tbh.

Sorry you felt slighted because that was never the intention, but perhaps now you understand a little better why things are done as they are.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Having uncountable duplicate threads on the same subject is difficult to manage, redundant, AND tiresome to the people who answer the same questions repeatedly. There are numerous artists, and many highly experienced members, on this site who take the time to hand out a little of their knowledge when it's beneficial, and answering 65465196876516231387 questions with the same core point is...irritating, tbh.

Even as relatively new member/visitor (since Oct, I think), I find duplicate threads (especially on recent topics) frustrating.

I continue to be amazed at the number of new posts on Specktra in any given day, I can come on and there are 300+ more posts since I signed off two hours earlier! That's a lot of posts/threads to go through, so even I as user (and non-mod) get frustrated when I see a duplicate thread especially when there is another active thread on the same subject.

So, THANK YOU, moderators, for trying to reduce the number of dups.

The specktra search can present a learning curve, for sure. I have had to learn how to manipulate the search because it's not the same search engine programming as Google, for example. But that doesn't make it bad; it's just not what I was used to. It's not even that it's un-user friendly; it's just not what I was used to. When we get used to something (such as a search engine) working in a certain way, we forget that it's not the only way. Now, I find that for specktra purposes, the engine here is actually more helpful than a google-type would be because there are so many ways that we all may choose to type out the same name of a product, for example.

As an aside, I can understand that sometimes a mod's post in a dup may *seem* to be short (and thereby curt or rude) when they redirect an OP to a similar thread, but think about how many times, they've had to post this same particular sentiment. In the beginning of specktra, they may have been more sugar-coated (for lack of a better word), but when you're having to do this same type of moderating multiple times a day, you get to the point of keeping it short and simple: "There is a thread on this already: <insert thread> Please use search." Nothing rude intended about it; there's just nothing superflorous about it (ie nothing to stroke your ego at the same time that they redirect you.)

As someone mentioned, don't take it personally; it's not intended as such. Again, as someone mentioned, it's usually more appropriate to take concerns up with moderators privately.

In the end, this forum is "owned" by Janice, and, as such, her and her agents (moderators) have every right to enforce any forum rules & etiquette that they see fit to keep the forum operating smoothly. There are so many users and posts that anything less would make the forum, in its entirety, a less friendly place. It is the moderation that also keeps the forum from allowing personal attacks that you may see at other forums.

If they were *trying* to be rude to you or anyone else, do you think this thread would have been allowed to stay?

On the other hand, when I look at your posts that are still on here just from the last month:
"Tons of Q's...." This contains multiple questions that are all individually addressed on other separate threads (depot-ables, HIP, Max Factor, etc), and the mods did NOT close it nor did anyone even re-direct you to search for the answers individually. You will find a TON of information that answer your questions by searching for them individually. Also, by reposting the same things that have been covered, many will just skip over your questions and NOT bother answering them again in your new thread.

"Can Someone attempt..." Yesterday, you asked for a '"pink smokey" tutorial. The mod posted back about a tutorial with "smokey pink" in the title, so I am confused as to what you might have searched for. If you know that you are looking for a tutorial, first go to the tutorial forum. then use the "search this forum" option. When I did this and put in "pink smokey", there were only 23 hits, and the "smokey pink tutorial" is the 8th listed.

"Jordana products..." Forum search produces 8 hits; the one you were directed to is #3 (and would be #2 before you posted your new thread on the same subject.)

I am not trying to be a jerk, but please don't be so quick to judge the moderators when it appears to the outsider that there hasn't been searching performed. It is one thing to call out the moderators if the duplicates of your posts were HARD to find with a search, but clearly they're not. Most people when redirected, simply post "Thanks, I missed that" instead of getting defensive.

Juneplum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
Even as relatively new member/visitor (since Oct, I think), I find duplicate threads (especially on recent topics) frustrating.

I continue to be amazed at the number of new posts on Specktra in any given day, I can come on and there are 300+ more posts since I signed off two hours earlier! That's a lot of posts/threads to go through, so even I as user (and non-mod) get frustrated when I see a duplicate thread especially when there is another active thread on the same subject.

So, THANK YOU, moderators, for trying to reduce the number of dups.

As an aside, I can understand that sometimes a mod's post in a dup may *seem* to be short (and thereby curt or rude) when they redirect an OP to a similar thread, but think about how many times, they've had to post this same particular sentiment. In the beginning of specktra, they may have been more sugar-coated (for lack of a better word), but when you're having to do this same type of moderating multiple times a day, you get to the point of keeping it short and simple: "There is a thread on this already: <insert thread> Please use search." Nothing rude intended about it; there's just nothing superflorous about it (ie nothing to stroke your ego at the same time that they redirect you.)

As someone mentioned, don't take it personally; it's not intended as such. Again, as someone mentioned, it's usually more appropriate to take concerns up with moderators privately.

On the other hand, when I look at your posts that are still on here just from the last month:
"Tons of Q's...." This contains multiple questions that are all individually addressed on other separate threads (depot-ables, HIP, Max Factor, etc), and the mods did NOT close it nor did anyone even re-direct you to search for the answers individually. You will find a TON of information that answer your questions by searching for them individually. Also, by reposting the same things that have been covered, many will just skip over your questions and NOT bother answering them again in your new thread.

"Jordana products..." Forum search produces 8 hits; the one you were directed to is #3 (and would be #2 before you posted your new thread on the same subject.)

I am not trying to be a jerk, but please don't be so quick to judge the moderators when it appears to the outsider that there hasn't been searching performed. It is one thing to call out the moderators if the duplicates of your posts were HARD to find with a search, but clearly they're not. Most people when redirected, simply post "Thanks, I missed that" instead of getting defensive.

thank you
smiles.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts