Problem with contacts

Blueeyesangel18

I just got contacts I've had them before a while back and toughed out the simialar problem I have with these. First of all they are the same brand as the last ones and they are soft monthly disposables, I was given a multipurpose solution to clean them and store them in a barrell. So the problem I have is after they have soaked over night which should be after at least four hours they sting my eyes when I put them in so I do a little dance wince in pain and blink for a few mins and then they are grand not a bother?? Why do they sting my eyes
shockt.gif
I mean I clean them properly and all I thought it could be soap residue left over after washing my hands so I just made sure I rinsed well and dried my hands touroghly but that didn't happen, do you think it could be the solution??? TIA for any help

allthatgl1tt3rs

Hmmm it could be the salt in the solution that you leave them in overnight (as if I recall rightly, there is a degree of salt in the solution)! I sometimes had the same problem when I had monthlies (now I'm on dailies).

I think, if you don't mind the extra hassle, you can get a gentler rinsing solution to squirt over the lenses after you take them out of the barrells and before you put them in your eyes to rinse away this extra salt which can irritate.

It may be worth visiting your optician to let them know this is happening - they can then point you in the direction of this rinsing solution or check that you're not allergic to your cleaner in some shape or form!

HTH x

COBI

I had to grab a case once because I just needed something for an unplanned stay out of town, so I picked up a "travel" kit at a store. It contained one of the "barrel" store cases and solution. No problems with that combination.

However, the next time I was away, I brought the "barrel" container (I usually used the cases with single storage "cups" versus the barrel) and my "normal" solution. HOLY $HIT! I thought I was going to go blind when I put my contacts in the next morning. I was literally writhing and doubled over from pain of the stinging. I couldn't figure out how I was going to open my eye to take out the contact before the obviously impending fusion that was going to happen from the reaction <<not literally, but that's how bad the burning felt.

Anyway, the only thing I can determine is that something in my "normal" solution reacted with the metal-like base on the "cage" that goes into the barrel.

All I know is that once I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed the contacts with my normal solution, they went in my eyes fine without stinging. I've never used the barrel again, and I've never had the problem again. And again, I didn't have the problem when I used the barrel with the solution that it came with.

Not sure if this helps.
shrugs.gif

Blueeyesangel18

That is interesting although the cage on my barrel is plastic I wonder if it could be the solution reacting with the plastic in some way?? I'll talk to my optician today I was just curious to see if anyone had ever had the same problem

Quote:
I had to grab a case once because I just needed something for an unplanned stay out of town, so I picked up a "travel" kit at a store. It contained one of the "barrel" store cases and solution. No problems with that combination.

However, the next time I was away, I brought the "barrel" container (I usually used the cases with single storage "cups" versus the barrel) and my "normal" solution. HOLY $HIT! I thought I was going to go blind when I put my contacts in the next morning. I was literally writhing and doubled over from pain of the stinging. I couldn't figure out how I was going to open my eye to take out the contact before the obviously impending fusion that was going to happen from the reaction.

Anyway, the only thing I can determine is that something in my "normal" solution reacted with the metal-like base on the "cage" that goes into the barrel.

All I know is that once I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed the contacts with my normal solution, they went in my eyes fine without stinging. I've never used the barrel again, and I've never had the problem again. And again, I didn't have the problem when I used the barrel with the solution that it came with.

Not sure if this helps.
shrugs.gif

X4biddenxLustX

From the way your post sounds I think your most likely using a hydrogen peroxide based contact solution instead of the traditional no rub multipurpose solutions with the two flat screw on lids. They come in the little cup that has a grey brown blackish tint to it with the cage to hold your lenses while there being cleaned?

Now there are two types of hydrogen peroxide contact solutions and they both use the same type of container to store lenses. The first kind requires you to leave your lenses in the solution for at least SIX HOURS (no less) because after those six hours the hydrogen peroxide turns into saline which won't irritate your eyes. So with this as long as the lenses have been stored for at least six hours in the case you can immediately take the lenses out and wear them with no problem. This is the kind that I currently use and is marketed as Clear Care and you can find it at any drugstore.

Now the second kind requires you to leave it in for at least four to six hours but after that time it DOES NOT turn into saline like the first kind does. So you will need to buy saline solution separately to rinse off the lenses before wearing them or else they'll burn cause there's peroxide on them. Yes it is a hassle and this was the first kind of hydrogen peroxide solution I've used and I always found that both of them were very effective at cleaning my lenses and making them comfortable to wear. Its just that the first kind is more convenient though and much cheaper. In fact I talked to my eye doctor who said that this is the best contact lens solution they currently have out in the market. And I must agree, the traditional multipurpose ones always left so much gunk on my lenses and my eyes would be soo dry and irritated from them.

Now don't be alarmed if it fizzes, that's just the solution doing its job =]

User35

do you rinse the contact with solution after you take it out from soaking all night? If i dont it sometimes stings, you could try that.