Problems looking for an apartment..

labellavita7

My two roommates and I are looking for a new apartment. I currently live in a closet while they have giant rooms, they pay a bit more but my room is completely not worth it. So while we're looking for new apartments, apparently I'm the default tenant for the smallest room because I can't go much higher than what I'm paying. We've been trying to look for places with equal sized bedrooms, but we just looked at one, and the rooms are all pretty good sizes, the smallest one is bigger than my bedroom now but I still don't think I would be happy with it, I want a little bigger. I don't think it's fair that I HAVE to get the smallest bedroom, they don't even ask who wants what room they just assume by who has more money.

They make me feel like the bad guy because the apartment was perfect except for me not liking the bedroom. Neither of them "can fit" their stuff in there, so why do they think I can? It's not fair, and I'm always the bitch roommate. I'm always the bad guy telling them and their friends to shh while I'm doing homework, telling them to clean stuff after they've messied it when I cleaned it, writing notes on the board so people will get the hint. Now I'm the bad guy again becuase I'm not a huge fan of the bedroom. Am I the one being selfish?? I feel like they are being selfish because as long as they are happy with their rooms I should stop complaining and be happy with mine too since it's like 3 feet bigger than the one I have now.
th_dunno.gif

Bah I'm in such a bad mood, I feel like a disappointment.

gigglegirl

Do you think its possible to find an apartment that has larger rooms for everyone? I think it makes sense that if say you are paying only as much as you can afford (and if that's less than everyone else's share) then you would get a smaller room (if they differ) but if you are able to keep looking and find a stellar place that you all could afford equal payments then no you shouldn't be stuck with the smaller room. LOL did that make any sense? 3 extra feet could be nice especially if you are able to cope in a smaller room right now (as much as it sounds like it sucks). Its a lot to have to balance, and if I were in your shoes it'd probably depend on if there are tons of apartment leases available, that the city you live in is more opportunistic for the tenants---then you could prob keep looking to try and find something better

fingie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Have you thought about getting new roomates?

Or getting a 1 bedroom by yourself?

Loveleighe

the way it always goes is the person willing to pay less is always the person with the smallest room. It would be unfair if you were willing to pay as much as they are but they said no and put you in the small room but you said you can't afford to pay that much more. my thoughts if they love the apartment so much and it makes you feel bad then maybe it's time for you to find a new apartment on your own or find a new roomie to move in with and they can just find a new roomie that way you're all happy. The best thing is to discuss it with them and bring up your concerns.

lovely333

If you can afford to pay more money then I can see why you would want a bigger bedroom. But if not then the less you pay the smaller the bedroom. Its only fair why should they have to pay more money and get the smaller bedroom. If it bothers you that much look for a studio apt or one bedroom. Its not fair to want them to move so you can have a bigger bedroom and you can't afford it.

Beauty Mark

It's only fair for the person paying the least to get the smallest room, much like my friend pays less money than I for a smaller apartment in the same area. It is selfish of you if you think they should opt for the smaller bedroom if they're paying more. It sucks that you have to go with a less than ideal place, but that's life. I lived in a small studio for a while. The kitchen was galley, so it was essentially a hallway. I had to cut back considerably.

Also, how unhappy are you with the apartment? I'm not saying that you should automatically settle, but most people who apartment search and aren't intending to make their places permanent do not have 100% perfect living situations. My current apartment has a tiny kitchen and a tiny bathroom, but it still was overall a good deal for me.

It sounds like you have another problem though, that you and your roommates live different kinds of lives. Why not find new people?

captodometer

It sounds like your roommates are kind of messy party animals and you are not. If so, why do you even want to continue living with them?

And it is completely selfish of you to complain about having the smallest room, especially if the other roommates pay more rent than you do. The objective of having roommates is to lower expenses for everyone and live somewhere nicer than any of you could afford on your own, not to have the people who have more money completely subsidize your lifestyle. You get what you can afford to pay for, and in your case it doesn't sound like very much square footage wise. But that's life.

Just suck it up and deal with it, which means getting rid of all your unnecessary stuff so that everything you actually need will fit in your small room. I don't recommend the studio/one bedroom option that other people have mentioned in this thread; if you can't afford a decent sized room in a shared living situation, you will never be able to pay the amount of money required to to live on your own. It already sounds like you basically want to live beyond your means, i.e you want more space but you don't really want to pay for it. It sounds like the fact that you have roommates who are making sensible housing choices is the only thing keeping you from making a really big financial mistake. They may not be completely compatible with you lifestyle wise, but they do seem to be financially responsible
th_dunno.gif

You could go find more compatible new roommates, but it won't change the room size issue. 3+ bedroom houses/flats are designed for families: an adult couple with children of various ages. One bedroom is always going to be significantly smaller than the others, because it's meant to be used as an office or baby nursery. You would still end up with the small room: no reasonable person is going to pay more in rent than you do and take the smallest room unless it has some really unique feature like a fireplace or separate private entrance, etc.

Maybe your finances will improve in the future. But today is reality, and you are stuck with the amount of money that you actually have.