Problems with Studio Fix Fluid

erinmosh

So, I have been matched up numerous times for sff. about 4 of the times i had been matched up (at the same counter) to nw20. then i realized, it is too orange for me, so i tried nw15. still the same. After that, I went to the same counter, and talked to a MA, saying i was matched up to nw20. but i felt that i was an nc. she matched me up to nc15. i later found out that, that shade made me look ghostly white. SO, I finally went to my free standing store, and they matched me to a nc20 shade. I find this shade to be too dark, and too orange. So.... basically in a nutshell: nc15 in sff is too light, and nc20 in sff is too dark/orange. does anyone else have this problem? any suggestions on what to do? I have already tried mixing nc20 and nc15, and it still looks weird. I have wasted about $300 on foundation trying to find my shade, and frankly it's starting to piss me off, lol. is my obvious solution just to go tanning? :/ any help would be great. thanks guys!

knoxydoll

Mix nc20 and nc15 together. Not everyone falls into one category; some people have to mix nc's and nw's together to find the shade that's perfect for them. Why did you have to spend 300$ on foundation? Why didn't you just exchange the bottle for another colour?

erinmosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxydoll
Mix nc20 and nc15 together. Not everyone falls into one category; some people have to mix nc's and nw's together to find the shade that's perfect for them. Why did you have to spend 300$ on foundation? Why didn't you just exchange the bottle for another colour?

because i did not have receipts/access to the store/counter at the time. hmm, would it be weird to ask a MA to try mixing some to find me a shade? it always looks fine in the store/counter, but when i go out into natural light it's completely different. so it'd be kind of tricky telling if the two mixed together foundations match or not.

CaraAmericana

If possible post a pic of yourself bare face. Because even tho not everyone can be matched perfectly it seems there is too big a diff between the 15 and 20 for you. I use to think NC25 was wrong for me but everyone I annoyed by asking over and over again if it was the right shade would tell me it was. Turns out the light I use in my bathroom cast shadows on my face and my old cam did the same. So I was looking at myself all wrong and in the wrong lighting.

Also, I would recommend on Monday chatting with an artist via MAC site. They have great experience and although they can't color match you thru the chat session they could be offer professional advice.

erinmosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraAmericana
If possible post a pic of yourself bare face. Because even tho not everyone can be matched perfectly it seems there is too big a diff between the 15 and 20 for you. I use to think NC25 was wrong for me but everyone I annoyed by asking over and over again if it was the right shade would tell me it was. Turns out the light I use in my bathroom cast shadows on my face and my old cam did the same. So I was looking at myself all wrong and in the wrong lighting.

Also, I would recommend on Monday chatting with an artist via MAC site. They have great experience and although they can't color match you thru the chat session they could be offer professional advice.

thanks for the advice, i'll try to chat with an artist on monday. I'll also try to get a bare faced (ew!) picture of me up.
smiles.gif

knoxydoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmosh
because i did not have receipts/access to the store/counter at the time. hmm, would it be weird to ask a MA to try mixing some to find me a shade? it always looks fine in the store/counter, but when i go out into natural light it's completely different. so it'd be kind of tricky telling if the two mixed together foundations match or not.

Well first always keep your receipts. For everything not just makeup. Also, try using a base before hand because it seems that the foundation is oxidizing on you. Once the artist colour matches you put your hand over the foundation to warm it up. This speeds up the oxidizing of the foundation and you'll be able to see the colour change quicker. Always check the colour in natural light before buying, and ask for a sample.

trollydolly

i had the same prob with sff. i was matched nw20 which is a bit too dark and orangey but im going to save it for the summer when im a bit darker. nw15 is ok on me but can look orange some days. wot i do is mix a small amount of moisturizer in with it and it seems to make it easier to blend into the skin. if u dont want to do that id recommend using a small amount of sff with the 187 brush (a little goes a long way and has great coverage). and then buff it out and blend with the 182.
also go easy on places like the forehead because thats one of the main areas that tends to go orange and to be honest not many people tend to need to use as much on the forehead area. alsoooo (sorry to go on!) i always make sure i blend it right under my chin and up to the hairline to make sure theres no visible line.
i do tend to look a tad orange first thing in the morning but i make sure when i leave the house i get my trustworth mac mirror out and check it in natural day light so i can get rid of any orange bits.
one final thing i forgot, go easy on the powder if you use it after you've put on sff because ive noticed that tends to make it go a bit cakey.
sorry if ive rambled on a bit. hopefully what ive said can be of some help.
laura
x

trollydolly

forgot something else i wanted to say! when i go into my local mac counter to get a new foundation they are sooo helpful. when theyve put the foundation on me the give me a mirror so i can go and have a look in the natural light outside which i think is great. its a cool mac vanity mirror, im sad i know! hehe. if ur not happy with the shade they pick for u then let them know, they wont want you to leave with something ur not happy with or tell them u want to go and check what the foundation looks like outside first. unfortunately they do colour match people for foundations wrongly sometimes :-(

s0damnbeautiful

i got soooo many samples of foundations before i finally purchased one, and not just from MAC. I just explained that I was trying to find the perfect foundation, and that I didn't want to end up spending that much money just to find it. 99% of make up counters (not just MAC) will give you samples of foundation so you can try it for a few days. Ask at MAC ... they probably will! Good luck. I know what pain it is!

erinmosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0damnbeautiful
i got soooo many samples of foundations before i finally purchased one, and not just from MAC. I just explained that I was trying to find the perfect foundation, and that I didn't want to end up spending that much money just to find it. 99% of make up counters (not just MAC) will give you samples of foundation so you can try it for a few days. Ask at MAC ... they probably will! Good luck. I know what pain it is!

i wonder what samples i should get. nw15, nw20, nc15 and nc20? and try different mixtures? anyone got any suggestions?

noahlowryfan

i would ask them to match first then ask them for a sample. hopefully, you can get 3 samples. one shade that they match you with. one shade darker and one shade lighter.

erinmosh

I just talked to a MA online, and she said it sounds like i am between a nc20 and nw20, that i should try mixing those two together. maybe i'll get samples of nc15 and nw15 too, just in case. she said to also try select SPF, for similar coverage. I guess studio fix fluid shade wise runs very different from their other foundations.

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmosh
I just talked to a MA online, and she said it sounds like i am between a nc20 and nw20, that i should try mixing those two together. maybe i'll get samples of nc15 and nw15 too

Sounds like an excellent plan!

Latest posts