Professional critique of Carmindy from WNTW

MAC_Whore

To be honest, I hate that show. The hosts are just unnecessarily mean. You can be honest and frank without being an a-hole, but they just do it to try to be witty (and they fail, IMO). Anyway...

I watched the other day to check out Carmindy (yeah, it was excrutiating listening to the hosts. I'll be honest, a lot of time the TV was muted).

With a show as highly visible as WNTW, I am sure that sponsors are throwing free product at her. She doesn't need to use anything twice if she doesn't want to. So she can easily afford to pitch something if she wants to. Although it is incredibly wasteful.

As far as blending on her hand and all of that. I think they consider it acceptable, as it is an intimate setting. One artist, one client. Not a mass assembly line of artists and models dipping in and out of the same containers with the same brushes. Don't get me wrong, it's still unsanitary, but I am sure they consider it reasonably safe.

Someone mentioned that a lot of her looks are the same, kind of neutral. When you look at the demographic they are targeting, that is what the majority of people do. We makeup fiends embrace crazy colours and dramatic looks, but the majority of folks don't do that. It only makes sense that she give the viewing audience what they want.

5 minutes is a stretch in my book. Someone mentioned that gives a lot of women false expectations. I agree with that. On the other hand, rather than a naked face, you can do a lot in 5 minutes.

cloudburst

The makeup she does is for the most part, pretty, realistic & achieveable for the people on the show. Yes, it's not going to win any rules for creativity, but it does the trick.

As for the sanitary concerns...lots of makeup artists blend on their cleaned hands. As well, I'm also pretty sure the participants have freshly washed (& therefore clean) faces...

ShugAvery2001

I was wondering what people though about Carmindy's rules. I like the show and I like what she does for those girls who really don't have a clue when it comes to make-up

One episode she stated that you should put your concealer on AFTER you put on your foundation. she said that you wipe off the concealer that way.. i tried it.. i didn't notice a difference

gigglegirl

see the putting concealer over foundation kinda wrecks some looks. IE Hyperreal with the light luminescence, putting concealer overtop would mute out the light reflecting parts.

Nuh-ah. Many things I do not like of hers. But she's trying to help people, and they look okay at the end, better than before. *shrug* but I do not heed any of her tips

wifey806

Quote:
Originally Posted by _trimm_trabb
I don't mind her for the most part; yes, the makeup she does is pretty basic and boring but the person usually does look much better. And simple makeup is appropriate for most (key word: most) guests on the show because many of them never wore any makeup. However, she does some really dumb stuff occasionally that really bothers me.

For example, one girl on the show was very enviro-conscious and Carmindy knew ahead of time that she wasn't comfortable with using makeup brushes made of animal hair. So, she showed her an assortment of wonderful, high quality synthetic (talklon, Too Faced's "teddy bear hair", and the like) brushes, right? No! She told her to apply all of her makeup, from lipstick to eyeshadow to liner to concealer, with Q-tips (except for creme blush which she used her fingers for)! Using Q-tips for EVERYTHING every time you do your makeup is not only shoddy and messy, but if anything creates MORE waste, being LESS environmentally friendly! WHY on earth would she recommend that to somebody who is very eco-conscious, especially when there are so many well made synthetic brushes out there? Stupid!

WTF?! are u serious?! I can't believe that!! I personally have vegan brushes (ie the one's u mentioned) for clients just like.. well... the one you mentioned! If I used Q-tips i'd freakin be laughed at!!

sharkbytes

Frankly, what I hate more than anything is the whole "5 minute face" mentality...it usually stems from the assumption that women who spend more time on their makeup are either extremely high-maintenance, or silly, or have nothing better to do with their time. This is particularly true here in NY, where people literally stare at me in wonderment, as if I'm sort of rare creature for taking the time to do a full face. I can't even tell you how often I'll get a condescending look, and the mention that they "couldn't possibly do that in the morning." I'm probably hyper-sensitive about it, but I swear, if Carmindy ever lectured me about neutrals and doing my face in 5mins, I'd tell her exactly where she can stuff her Q-tips
smiles.gif

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugAvery2001
I was wondering what people though about Carmindy's rules. I like the show and I like what she does for those girls who really don't have a clue when it comes to make-up

One episode she stated that you should put your concealer on AFTER you put on your foundation. she said that you wipe off the concealer that way.. i tried it.. i didn't notice a difference

Gigglegirl is right about some foundations not translating well with concealer over the top, but the general rule of thumb with concealer after foundation is that a.) you use a lot less physical product and b.) you can get a more natural finish.

If you go concealer before foundation, you can put on enough concealer to cover the pimple but when foundation is then applied over the top you can be left with a 'blank' area that has much higher coverage than the skin around it. Concealer after foundation acknowledges the coverage that foundation already provides and the concealer application is therefore lighter and more tailored.

It's a YMMV kind of thing, there's no right or wrong. Personally I'm a concealer after foundation person.

tmc089

I just don't like how she has "rules." There should be no rules at all in makeup!! Different things work for different people..what works really well for me could be someone else's worst nightmare. I feel like she doesn't even ask what the actual people want, she just assumes everyone wants a natural pretty look and basically gives the same look to everyone.

YSLGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _trimm_trabb
I don't mind her for the most part; yes, the makeup she does is pretty basic and boring but the person usually does look much better. And simple makeup is appropriate for most (key word: most) guests on the show because many of them never wore any makeup. However, she does some really dumb stuff occasionally that really bothers me.

For example, one girl on the show was very enviro-conscious and Carmindy knew ahead of time that she wasn't comfortable with using makeup brushes made of animal hair. So, she showed her an assortment of wonderful, high quality synthetic (talklon, Too Faced's "teddy bear hair", and the like) brushes, right? No! She told her to apply all of her makeup, from lipstick to eyeshadow to liner to concealer, with Q-tips (except for creme blush which she used her fingers for)! Using Q-tips for EVERYTHING every time you do your makeup is not only shoddy and messy, but if anything creates MORE waste, being LESS environmentally friendly! WHY on earth would she recommend that to somebody who is very eco-conscious, especially when there are so many well made synthetic brushes out there? Stupid!

I've seen her use her fingers to apply product (eyeshadows even) on the makeover subject. THat has always bothered me, but other than that I like her.

narcissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
It's MAC policy not to ever curl anyone's lashes but to walk them through it. It's a legal issue.

I have never heard this before , either. In fact, at Basic, my trainer taught me how to do this on customers. I'd prefer not to since people usually spaz out before I can even get close enough but I'm curious as to where you have heard this.

Thanks!

stronqerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbytes
Frankly, what I hate more than anything is the whole "5 minute face" mentality...it usually stems from the assumption that women who spend more time on their makeup are either extremely high-maintenance, or silly, or have nothing better to do with their time. This is particularly true here in NY, where people literally stare at me in wonderment, as if I'm sort of rare creature for taking the time to do a full face. I can't even tell you how often I'll get a condescending look, and the mention that they "couldn't possibly do that in the morning." I'm probably hyper-sensitive about it, but I swear, if Carmindy ever lectured me about neutrals and doing my face in 5mins, I'd tell her exactly where she can stuff her Q-tips
smiles.gif

lol im from NY too and i got those odd looks as well. I also get the 'YOUR CRAZY, HOW CAN U DO THAT SO EARLY IN THE MORN?' umm excuse me i dont roll out of bed 5 mins before i have to walk out the door. I dont go around askin cetain woman 'YOURR CRAZYY HOW CAN U LEAVE YOUR HOUSE IN YOUR PJS, WITH DROOL AND EYE BOOGERS STILL STUCK ON YOUR FACE?', Let me be, and it's not like i take 2 hrs to put my make up on, the most i take in the morning is 15 mins, now as for going out at night, i take my time and can go up to 30mins
winkiss.gif

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stronqerx
lol im from NY too and i got those odd looks as well. I also get the 'YOUR CRAZY, HOW CAN U DO THAT SO EARLY IN THE MORN?' umm excuse me i dont roll out of bed 5 mins before i have to walk out the door. I dont go around askin cetain woman 'YOURR CRAZYY HOW CAN U LEAVE YOUR HOUSE IN YOUR PJS, WITH DROOL AND EYE BOOGERS STILL STUCK ON YOUR FACE?', Let me be, and it's not like i take 2 hrs to put my make up on, the most i take in the morning is 15 mins, now as for going out at night, i take my time and can go up to 30mins
winkiss.gif

lol.gif
Oh, I have thought so many times if someone gets condescending over taking some time to pull yourself together in the morning. If you can roll out of bed and look presentable, more power to ya. It's the same as when some people mention that they don't watch TV, they act as if you are a lower life form if you mention a TV show.
th_rolleye0014.gif

I feel like Carmindy must be doing something right, people LOVE her. If I mention her at work, women are like "OMGOMGOMG". I think the average person won't notice the things we do.

*Gigi*

WNTW is one of my fave shows. In most cases, Carmindy does the simple things b/c the show is about people making a change and sticking to it. I woman that never wears makeup is not going to get up an hour eariler to apply a full face of makeup, so she shows them that a little mu goes a long way as far as looking refreshed and well put together. That I understand. However, I would hate for her to try to tell me that I had to wear neutrals to fit her idea of beauty.

As for Stacey and Clinton, I love them and their witty comments! I have no sympathy for the people on the show- they know what they are getting into! They can bash my style all day if they want, as long as i get that 5,000 credit card! Woo hoo!
th_DANCE.gif

YSLGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Gigi*
WNTW is one of my fave shows. In most cases, Carmindy does the simple things b/c the show is about people making a change and sticking to it. I woman that never wears makeup is not going to get up an hour eariler to apply a full face of makeup, so she shows them that a little mu goes a long way as far as looking refreshed and well put together. That I understand. However, I would hate for her to try to tell me that I had to wear neutrals to fit her idea of beauty.

As for Stacey and Clinton, I love them and their witty comments! I have no sympathy for the people on the show- they know what they are getting into! They can bash my style all day if they want, as long as i get that 5,000 credit card! Woo hoo!
th_DANCE.gif

It also one of my fave shows. I can't stand Stacey though. She has such an attitude and needs learn some tact. The way she speaks to people is unacceptable.

I have met both of them in real life, and she was so stuck up and bitchy.

Clinton however is such a sweetheart and very down to earth and friendly. He really loves to talk with people and be helpful.

amyzon

I totally agree with the whole 5 minute face mentality you guys have brought up.... BUT...

I just wanted to mention this... I've been on Carmindy's website and if you check out her portfolio, she's done a cover for Sephora as well as some mags and some editorials... The makeup she does on WNTW is clearly for a very different demographic than her creative ventures, so maybe you should check it out before completely passing judgment.

Sanayhs

It has bothered me when I saw her critique someone with well done full makeup, saying that they shouldn't be covering up their natural beauty or whatnot.

She'd probably trash my makeup if she got hold of me in that setting.
angelic.gif

Little Addict

I haven't watched this show since a few years back, though I think I remember the original British version never had a makeup segment.

Carmindy, from what it sounds like, specializes in neutral / natural faces and may not be too well with more-than-simple looks. Also, it my be since it's a fashion-oriented show that they don't want the makeup to be distracting.

just my opinion. her voice also bothers me.

gigiopolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc089
I just don't like how she has "rules." There should be no rules at all in makeup!! Different things work for different people..what works really well for me could be someone else's worst nightmare. I feel like she doesn't even ask what the actual people want, she just assumes everyone wants a natural pretty look and basically gives the same look to everyone.

As an avid watcher of WNTW, I've seen a LOT of episodes, and she does give pretty similar looks to the people on the show. However, I have seen her mix it up a bit. She recognizes the makeup lovers from the ones afraid of makeup, and she gives looks appropriate for each person. Once I watched an episode with a girl who wore full-on glitter on her eyelids EVERY day past her crease, and while we generally regard makeup as a form of expression, even you'd have to admit that that's just a bit insane. At the end she gave her a very different look from the usual people on the show - a funky smokey purple look that I really liked, and flattered the woman much more than her glittered-eyelids. (Nothing against glitter, it was just entirely inappropriate for her career and everyday style).

I think "rules" are necessary for a show like this. These are misguided, in-need-of-a-makeover women. They need rules and guidelines at the very least for some boundaries. You can't tell a lady who hasn't done a single thing with her face in terms of makeup "Do whatever you want, you should do whatever makes you look good!" because she'll just look at you blankly and be absolutely clueless. Before you can break the rules, you have to learn what the rules are.

If you've ever seen the show, you'll know that a lot of the women on the show are very low-key, low-maintenance, and don't even wear makeup on a daily basis. It would be irrational to give each woman a creative, colourful and bright look. The key is to get them to accept a little bit of blush, mascara, highlighter or whatnot to make themselves look a bit put-together. In this regard, the show is a LOT different from Specktra in that makeup serves to make them look better, not as a form of expression. I think this kind of perspective on makeup is the same for the general public.

I just checked out Carmindy's portfolio and WOW some of them are beautiful!

Carmindy

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
It's MAC policy not to ever curl anyone's lashes but to walk them through it. It's a legal issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
We've never been told that. Oh well either way I don't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcissa
I have never heard this before , either. In fact, at Basic, my trainer taught me how to do this on customers. I'd prefer not to since people usually spaz out before I can even get close enough but I'm curious as to where you have heard this.

Thanks!

i've never been told this either. in fact, we were actually given a tip on how to do it a safer way so you don't pinch the skin.

i curl peoples lashes at the counter any time its needed, especially when applying lashes.

Latest posts