Professional critique of Carmindy from WNTW

Ziya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugAvery2001
I was wondering what people though about Carmindy's rules. I like the show and I like what she does for those girls who really don't have a clue when it comes to make-up

One episode she stated that you should put your concealer on AFTER you put on your foundation. she said that you wipe off the concealer that way.. i tried it.. i didn't notice a difference

I usually do concealer after foundation too...I find I use a lot less concealer this way
greengrin.gif
and I think with the shades that I use ( Select Cover NW 35 and Select NC 40-43) it really does a good job of covering circles and kind of highlighting the area. Also, I stipple my foundation on with the 187 so if put concealer on a zit for example, it doesnt have the same coverage as it gets "wiped off" (coz its not set with the powder yet. Sorry for the essay, HTH
tong.gif

amyzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziya
I usually do concealer after foundation too...I find I use a lot less concealer this way
greengrin.gif
and I think with the shades that I use ( Select Cover NW 35 and Select NC 40-43) it really does a good job of covering circles and kind of highlighting the area. Also, I stipple my foundation on with the 187 so if put concealer on a zit for example, it doesnt have the same coverage as it gets "wiped off" (coz its not set with the powder yet. Sorry for the essay, HTH
tong.gif

I do the same thing... I usually do an extra layer of foundation with my 187 first... then apply concealer. Since I match my concealer very closely to my skin tone, I usually don't have to reapply foundation. To avoid that "circle" effect, I apply the concealer with a patting motion with my concealer brush, and it blends very well. If I need to reapply foundation, I usually use my mineral foundation VERY gently, since I apply it anyway after my MUFE liquid... If I applied foundation all over after concealer, it rubs off immediately, causing me MUCHO frustration.

amyzon

I do have to mention one thing I saw on a recent episode from this year that AGGRAVATED the hell out of me... I'm sure WNTW fans can recall this one.. It was a 25 year old blonde girl that wore a good bit of makeup, a bit of a MAC addict likely (I remember seeing those familiar black pallets!), and Carmindy was appalled, APPALLED I tell you ladies, that she was caught wearing a set of falsies and heavy eyeshadow during the day. OH THE HUMANITY PEOPLE! I'm wearing falsies today and I feel fabulous and confident. No one in my office can apply makeup like me!

Carmindy went on to tell this girl she was wearing far, far too much makeup and it was making her look ten years younger. She went on and on, and it really upset the girl! Carmindy instructed her to clean her face, and then stroked her ego to no end about how beautiful her face and skin were and how so many women would be jealous and wanted what she had. Let me tell you, this girl really wasn't all this beautiful, or all that pretty really, and she didn't look that bad with makeup on, really, although she didn't seem to have a good foundation match. Carmindy gave her a "fresh face" and told her she looked her age and so gorgeous and blah blah blah... Stroking her ego, ya know...

It just annoyed me. Carmindy would probably say the same about moi... MY GOD, I'm wearing a smokey, dramatic eye to work today (breaking the rules of daytime makeup, JEEBUS!) and falsies (omg!) and a coral lip (just too much too much too much girl!). I feel like wearing a dramatic eye today, SO WHAT! I like colorful eyes too... and I like changing it up on the daily - neutral is boring and I only do it occasionally - makeup is my creative outlet (isn't it hers!?) and I see nothing wrong with that.

I think Carmindy's gig on the show is to make a dramatic change... I think even if a chick came in camera ready with perfectly applied makeup, MUFE and NARS products (because she inspects the contents of their makeup bag), and there was absolutely nothing she could say... There would still be a harsh critique, she would wipe that gorgeous face off... And put a neutral, "fresh face" on in its place. And that is where I have an issue. There must be a dramatic change, even where it's not necessarily needed. It's an exciting part of the show, particularly on the ladies who wear gaudy, outdated, and cheap cosmetics, or none at all, and the main reason I watch the show. But when it's not needed and to make sure her segment gets its time on the show... Grrrr...

spacegirl2007

ok im not a pro and i definitely agree with some of the stuff that has been said (too many similar/neutral looks, being critical of those who wear bold makeup, etc.) but one thing i love about carmindy is that she always finds something to compliment the person on, their eyes, eyebrows, cheekbones, etc. she finds at least one thing about everyone to enhance and she stays pretty positive with most people. with a few exceptions that have been noted already (younger people who were into bright/bold makeup), i think she provides a good service. "5 minute face" is a big crock but for the people on the show who are absolutely CLUELESS (which is most of them), it's a non-intimidating approach that they can maybe live with and implement into their daily lives.

Meisje

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbytes
Frankly, what I hate more than anything is the whole "5 minute face" mentality...it usually stems from the assumption that women who spend more time on their makeup are either extremely high-maintenance, or silly, or have nothing better to do with their time.

I've experienced similar condescension --- people equating wanting to look nice, and spending time on your appearance, with shallowness and a lack of intelligence. Not only is it offensive and a lame stereotype, I've noticed that those MOST troubled by my good grooming and those whose personal appearance could use some work. It's all just fun to me, and another level of being an artist and enjoying color in every aspect of life.

As for Carmindy, I feel that she (and the show) aspire to a lot of cookie-cutter looks. Sure, the people look nice, but they often (not always!) seem to try to beat the individuality out of quirky folks. I always wonder what they would say about Betsey Johnson if she was just some lady instead of a legend...

mommys-makeup

for some reason i ALWAYS watch WNTW just for carmindy's makeovers, in the hopes that maybe in just this one episode shes gonna do this cool ass mac makeup artist type makeover using turqoises and crazy ass purples, but atlas, as i wait in anticipation while she swings the person around to look at herself i am once again...terribly dissapointed, and if she uses that SAME burgundy eye pencil on the top lid followed by the same burgudy-ish colored eyeshadow...i will scream!

ThumperG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisje
I've experienced similar condescension --- people equating wanting to look nice, and spending time on your appearance, with shallowness and a lack of intelligence. Not only is it offensive and a lame stereotype, I've noticed that those MOST troubled by my good grooming and those whose personal appearance could use some work. It's all just fun to me, and another level of being an artist and enjoying color in every aspect of life.

As for Carmindy, I feel that she (and the show) aspire to a lot of cookie-cutter looks. Sure, the people look nice, but they often (not always!) seem to try to beat the individuality out of quirky folks. I always wonder what they would say about Betsey Johnson if she was just some lady instead of a legend...

Agreed!....There is something to be said for taking the time (however much time appropriate for the individual) to make yourself polished and put together. I personally feel better when I do and appreciate others who do as well. It shows you give a damn. Afterall, it's a tough world out there and it goes by before you know it, so put your best game face on, at least you're always ready for whatever!...lol

And there is definetely something to be said for individuality. We should not all want to look/be the same, makeup or otherwise!

winkiss.gif

Latest posts