• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

prom tutorial (a request from a specktra member)

LC

This look was a special request from a girl who likes my fotds. she sent me a pic of her dress and wanted me to create a look to compliment it
smiles.gif
This is her dress,
dress.jpg
but she said her dress looks a little more red. So a red garment is a pretty hard color to compliment. The easiest thing is to wear a matching lipstick, but in this case, the girl didn't want to wear red lips. The complimenting color to red is green, and it can be easy to make yourself look too Christmas-y, so I chose to do a smokey look with a touch of olive, and a peachy coral cheek and lip.
Products used:
  • eyes:
    • MAC studio finish concealer nw25 as a base
    • MAC shadows: Satin Taupe, Smut
    • MAC pigments: Copperized, Golden Olive
    • for brows: "wedge" mac shadow
    • MAC fluidline Blacktrack
    • MAC zoomlash in black
  • skin:
    • MAC studio finish concealer nw25
    • MAC studio fix fluid nc25
    • MAC mineralized skin finish natural in "medium"
    • MAC blush "emote" as contour
    • MAC blush "style"
    • MAC irridescent pressed powder in "belightful" as a highlight
  • lips:
    • MAC pro longwear in "Clingpeach"
    • MAC cremestick liner in "red enriched"
    • MAC pro longwear clear gloss
So this is the final look we're going to acheive:
4.jpg

On to the steps to create it.

I know my steps kind of bounce around from eyes to face, back to eyes, to lips. I don't bounce around randomly, there is a method to my madness
smiles.gif

I always start with eyes because there will undoubtedly be some fall out from any shadow that we place on the eyelid. If there is already foundation, the powder that falls out won't brush off nice and clean with the foundation already on, so it's best to do the foundation after the shadow. So I do eyeshadow first, then foundation, powder, etc, then back to eyes to line them and fill in the brows. I line and fill in after the foundation because it'll assure that no foundation ends up covering the liner or gets into your freshly filled in brows.

Step 1
Using a 252 brush or similar, apply Studio Finish Concealer to the entire eye area using a shade of concealer that will also match your jawline. After this is applied, use a 217 or 224 blending brush to blend out any harsh lines the concealer has left behind
s1.jpg

Step 2
Using a 242 or similar dense brush, apply the Vanilla pigment just under the browbone as a high light color. Apply by patting and pressing the color into the concealer rather than sweeping it on.
s2.jpg

Step 3

Lightly wipe the brush off, and using the same 242 brush, apply Satin Taupe eyeshadow to the inner 2/3s of the eyelid by patting the color into the concealer. Don't be afraid to press hard.
s3.jpg

Step 4

Using the same 242 brush, apply Smut eyeshadow to the outer 1/3 of the eyelid, and creating a triangle shape on the outer part of the crease to create a cat eye affect
s4.jpg

Step 5

Taking a clean 224 brush, blend in between the Satin Taupe and the Smut eyeshadows for a nice smooth transition of color, then continue to blend upward into the crease so that there are no harsh lines left on the lid (sorry this pic is way bad lighting)
s5.jpg

Step 6

Taking the same 224 brush, dip just the tip of the brush into the Copperized pigment and apply in the crease of the eye. Using C-shape motions, blend for about 30 seconds
s6.jpg

Step 7
Using the same 252 brush as in the first step, apply the Studio Finish concealer under the eyes and over any redness or blemishes on the face.
s7.jpg

Step 8

Pour some Studio Fix Fluid foundation on the back of your hand. (woops i poured way too much!)
s8.jpg

Step 9

Using a 190 brush or similar, loosely apply the foundation all over your face. Don't worry about it streaking from the bristles or getting a smooth finish, we'll worry about that in the next step.
s9.jpg

Step 10

Using a clean 109 or similar brush, buff out the foundation in small circular motions all over the face. This gives you that airbrushed look.
s10.jpg

Step 11
Take a 187 brush and apply Mineralized Skin Finish Natural powder all over the face to set your foundation. This is a miracle powder! It looks so natural on and further gives a more airbrushed look on the skin.
s11.jpg

Step 12
Using your 109 brush, apply a contour color just below your cheekbones. The color I used is discontinued and I'm not sure of a good alternative, but any MAC associate will be able to answer that question.
s12.jpg

Step 13

Taking the same 109 brush, apply "Style" blush in a C-shape movement just above the contour color
s13.jpg

Step 14

Using the Same 109 brush, apply "Belightful" irridescent pressed powder just above the blush, this will highlight the cheeks.
s14.jpg

Step 15
Wet a 266 or similar angled brush under a running faucet and mix with "wedge" eyeshadow to give a muddy texture.
s15.jpg

Step 16

Starting about 1/2 a centimeter from the inner most part, start filling in your brows.
s16.jpg

Step 17

When you've reach the end of your brow, use what's left over on the brush and fill in the inner part of the brow. Eyebrows are naturally thinner in the inner most part, so if you fill them in real heavy right there, it will look unnatural.
s17.jpg

Step 18

Wipe off your 266 brush and use it to apply "blacktrack" fluidline eyeliner. I lined mine to somewhat follow up the outer wing of the crease shadow
s18.jpg

Step 19

Continue with the blacktrack fluidline and line the waterline of the eye
s19.jpg

Step 20

Wipe your 266 brush off again, then dip it into Golden Olive Pigment and line under your bottom lashline.
Take a 217 or 224 brush and slightly blend so it's not such a harsh line.
s192.jpg

Finish the eyes with Mascara (not shown)
Step 21

Take "Clingpeach" Pro Longwear lip color and apply it over the whole lip area. I chose a pro longwear instead of a lipstick or lipgloss because the color lasts all day and night, and since my girl is going to prom, she won't want to have to worry about the color smearing or coming off.
s20.jpg

Step 22

Take "red enriched" lip liner and lightly line the outside. This color is much darker and redder than Clingpeach, we don't want to draw too much attention to the liner. So do it lightly, and feather it inwards so it kind of blends with the lip color.
s21.jpg

Step 23

Finish with either the gloss on the other end of the pro longwear, or any clearish gloss of your choice
s22.jpg

Ta-da!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupgirl22
dont know how to thank you enough <33

welcome welcome welcome
smiles.gif
glad you liked it

mello

favfavfav.
I especially love this tut for your explaination of what you do with your foundation/blush. Gorgeous!

Latest posts