Psychiatrist making me feel worse....

Bianca

Hi all,

I'm feeling really depressed today, sometimes I even feel like I don't want to live anymore. I'm depressed for a couple of years and I looked for help, well, the help is making me worse..

I used to take Prozac and it didn't help, after that I had to take Effexor also no help. I talked to my psychiatrist and she decided to put me on Amitriptyline. My boyfriend, who was with me, asked if there were any side effects. She told us that dizziness could occur when standing up from a sitting of lying position. So, I went to see the pharmacist and they gave me a half used package, without a note with warnings (don't know the word sorry). I tought that nothing would be wrong, I had taken anti-depressants before and knew about the side effects so I took them. The next time I went to the pharmacist they gave me a full package with that note with warnings. When I came home I read it, to my shock it said it could clash with birth control pills. I was scared because I don't want children yet so I called her and she wasn't inn. I sent her an e-mail that she should have told me about this and that I was angry. My bf read the e-mail before sending it, and he said it was a good e-mail. She contacted me and called the pharmacist and told me I could take these pills without problems, they would not clash. So far so good you would think...

After that I went to see my counsellor. She started talking about my e-mail to the psychiatrist. She forwarded my e-mail to my counsellor and said that she was shocked and hurt by my reaction. I found this very weird, it was her mistake in a way. So we talked about it and I felt weird afterwards. Yesterday I had to see the psychiatrist again. I asked her why she forwarded my e-mail to another person. She said that my "behaviour" puts people off and that my problems are caused by this, for example me not having found a job yet. I said I come here to feel better, not to feel worse and I almost cried. She was like, well I guess you have other expectations of your treatment and at this point I was like...whatever.

I really don't understand. The only thing I did was send her an e-mail because I was afraid I would get pregnant. I explained and they make this big thing of it, I would think a psychiatrist would know better than to treat your patients like this. I'm really depressed now and feel worse than ever. I have to see the counsellor again tomorrow and I hope she is not starting again about my "behaviour" I think they are the ones that need treatment. People who know me think that this situation is really weird....

Thanks for reading.

*Stargazer*

Wow. I am sorry that you are having to deal with this. Is it at all possible to see new people? It sounds like your relationship with them could be damaged beyond repair and they may not be able to help you with anything at all.

n_c

I agree with Ladybug10678, try and get someone else if possible...*hugs*

Beauty Mark

Your treatment is supposed to help you feel better eventually; sometimes, you do feel worse, but the ultimate goal is for you to feel better. Your therapist's attitude is extremely unethical, and I would report her and the psychiatrist. They're being childish and worse- dangerous.

What I would do is quit going to these people and find someone new.

thestarsfall

That's Awful! I hate it ppl blow things waaay outta proportion (but then I am paranoid about that anyways)...

defnitely find another counsellor/psychiatrist cuz they have broken your trust...

good luck with eveyrthing!

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Thats awful!
For one,your psychiatrist should NOT have forwarded your email to ANYONE!!! I cant Believe that was done! Things between you and your psychiatrist (and that includes EVERYTHING) are SUPPOSED to be confidential arent they? I Strongly suggest that you find New people to go to.

GalleyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Your treatment is supposed to help you feel better eventually; sometimes, you do feel worse, but the ultimate goal is for you to feel better. Your therapist's attitude is extremely unethical, and I would report her and the psychiatrist. They're being childish and worse- dangerous.

What I would do is quit going to these people and find someone new.

Big second. It sounds like the psychiatrist reacted the way she did is because she is embarassed by her incompetence - because frankly, to give someone medication without telling her about the side effects, asking her about what medication they are taking and making sure she is comfortable with all of it is highly incompetent. You have every right to be concerned if you read that the medication could clash with your birth control, and its your doctor's job to answer your questions about possible drug interactions. I don't see why she needed to forward your e-mail to your counselor, as it had nothing to do with her, and concern over drug interactions is not a sign of a behvioral disorder.
I am sorry, I know where you are coming from, I have been on both prozac and effexor too (still on the prozac). Your psychiatrist should not be making you feel worse.

Bianca

Well I guess you are all right. Why is al this shit always happening to me *sigh* If the counsellor I see starts all over again tomorrow I'm gonna get really pissed and just leave. They are only there to earn their money and they don't give a damn about people.

YvetteJeannine

I'm just kinda shocked she would put you on *such* a different medication without counseling you first about it. So far (as far as I've read from the information you've included in your post), all you've been on is SSRI's (Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors)...and then she puts you on a COMPLETELY different medication...Amitryptaline (trade name 'Elavil') is a Tri-Cyclic drug...with very different purposes and side effects. Yes...it IS her fault. You should have been told the differences between the two, and any common side effects (and most professional M.D.'s will tell a young woman if they prescribe a medication which interacts negatively with hormonal birth control).

So long as the e-mail was courteous and polite, there is NO reason why she should have been taken aback. More importantly, she never should have given this info. to your counselor (unless there is a treatment agreement between the two of them signed by you to share/exchange treatment information). Even if there IS a contract, it sounds like this Doctor is more concerned about HER feelings than anything else...if all this information is correct, it really sounds like she's being quite unprofessional.

If I were you, I would think long and hard about whether or not this doctor were helping me. I am rather disturbed by the way she is making this incident about her; and her remarks were really uncalled for.

Like I said above, so long as the e-mail was not harsh, she should not be acting like this...and even if it was harsh (hypothetically speaking) her reaction is still inappropriate. You did nothing wrong. It is a patient's RIGHT to know about the meds they're taking....And she neglected her duties as a professional.

One more note: Perhaps she's behaving like this as a sort of "smoke screen" to cover for HER mistake. If she puts up a big stink about this e-mail, and makes YOU feel like the culprit (chastising you about your so-called 'social' problems), perhaps you'll just 'forget' about HER lack of professionalism...Hmm...something to think about...perhaps that's her intent.

Hope you feel better soon
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Well I guess you are all right. Why is al this shit always happening to me *sigh* If the counsellor I see starts all over again tomorrow I'm gonna get really pissed and just leave. They are only there to earn their money and they don't give a damn about people.

Not all counselors are like that... I have been lucky to not have some bad seeds. I wouldn't give up on counseling, but I would definitely give up on this person.

Bianca

Well, I did not know about the huge differences between the 3 of them! And my e-mail to her was polite, I haven't been harsh to her at all. At least I now know what to say if she starts all over again. I'm glad that I am not the only one that thinks that this is weird. My bf thinks the same, he wants to go with me next time (he is good at this stuff and I am not) and he also wants her to apologize to me. I don't know about this last part, but he thinks she really needs to.

Beauty Mark

I don't agree with that statement about psychologists at all. There are shady ones, yes, and certainly people who are in therapy who don't need it, but there are many who are in therapy who need it and many who aren't who do need it.

Changes aren't always apparent as to what should be done, and the overall problem has a chance of manifesting itself in some other way, like substituting one addiction for another. A good, skilled therapist will be able to help you determine what the root of the problem is and how to work so that you are better. They don't encourage you to stay in therapy for the rest of your life, unless you don't get yourself out of that rut. They want you to change things you do. Speaking about one of the therapists I had, she was able to give me objective advice and insight. She didn't always side with me, but she wasn't a bitch about it, either.

I think therapy, when done correctly, is a valuable service and one I wish more people would take advantage of

Hawkeye

Bianca,
I think you need to get another psychologist.
I do not feel that this one is being professional in any way shape form or fashion especially with sending an e-mail to a third party. That is a very clear violation of patient/doctor confidentiality. I'm not sure if HIPPA Falls under this but I would check into it.

To be point blank this persons behavior would make me feel very uncomfortable as well.

And the medications that are conflicting really bother me. Though it does happen with doctors etc-it's important in this case to maybe talk to your local pharmacist and tell them the situation and see if they can recommend a good psychiatrist that will maybe treat you better and is more willing to listen.

*Stargazer*

If I'm not mistaken, the OP is in Europe and HIPAA, particular psychiatric standards and American drug companies and prescription practices are probably irrelevant to this specific situation.

I also think that doctors are allowed to share information with other parties in circumstances like this. It may not be the case here, but permission can be granted for two doctors/counselors who are treating the same patient to communicate and share files.

That being said, I'd still find a new therapist.

Hawkeye

hehe didnt see she was from the netherlands.

It's been a long few days.

ANyway-your right.

I'm not well versed in the law in the netherlands but wouldnt the doctors have to have the consent of the patient in order to share thoughts regarding the patient?

MisStarrlight

I agree with everyone else. It sounds like these doctors are blowing your email out of proportion and being completely unporfessional about something that ultimately should be about your health, not about the one doctor's ego.
I was ordered by my school to see a psychiatrist in 10th grade All she did was make my mother cry...so I stopped going. To this day I won't trust anyone enough to sit down and discuss my feelings with them. I know it's hard to start over again, but if these doctors are no longer doing it for you, and are actually making it worse, it is time to move on.

Kisbee

Psychiatrists and councillors are only human, and so they make mistakes, and when they do, they can do stupid things just the same as anyone else.

Obviously she messed up and isn't handling it well. I would try to make sure that she understands that you know that it was a mistake on her part and that you were entirely justified in your concerns and email.

Then find a new psychiatrist and/or councillor.....

Hope it goes well...

Bianca

Well, I saw my counselor again and I told her that there is nothing wrong with my behaviour in that e-mail and that she made a mistake. She was like well it's good that you tell us how you feel and that sort of bullshit but she understood what I meant and that is the point.

Kuuipo

Well,there are always condoms as a reliable form of birth control.
Also,if you get a job and have a busy life and hobbies you may not suffer from depression anymore.

nunu

Hey honey,
I am sorry to hear about your situation, i like the others would advice you to see someone else. Their attitude was so un-called for and un-ethical. Everything should be confidentialy between you and your psychatrist or between you and your counseller. No need for the psychiatrist and counseller to talk about the sessions that you have with either in between them! i'm really shocked!!

Latest posts