Pushing LE Colors - Why

ollieo

Why do they push the new LE colors so much. I was on Mac Chat asking for 3 everyday warm lipsticks and 3 red night out warm lipsticks. I think 5 out of the 6 were LE and part of special collections. The last 2 times I was at a Mac store I was shown only LE eye shadows. Is it so I get hooked and then try and find the colors again and get hooked into the monthly Mac gotta have it LE bandwagon? They do have a regular line right? In a way I don't care. I know if I run out of a lipstick or e/s that there will be others I like just as much. But I am curious.

kalice

I guess they're trying to get people to jump on the LE bandwagon so that there will be uncount number of purchases, not because of a pretty colour or anything, but for backups. I've seen people buy three or four of each LE items for backup because they believe it will not be there in a month. Because they're creating a mindset of limited supply, the demand for them, at least among hardcore MAC fans, naturally go up.

Deirdre

I did that, once. And then realized that similar, if not exactly the same shades, maybe with a different finish, will appear in future collections. Plus repromotes of the most highly sought shades. I'm never buying a backup again, and am skipping the next two counter displays. Really, I just started wearing MAC in August 2006, and I've conned myself into buying more of their product in the past five months, than I've ever bought in 10 years! It's nutso. I am avoiding MAC until Barbie comes out, and then not going back until the summer collections come out. I'm sure I've spent enough to put a new roof on my house! LOL.

MAC_Whore

Probably to:

1. Keep the looks/products fresh for customers. Keep us hooked and hungry for more.

2. Move that junk outta the warehouse and outta the counters. There isn't any room for it after the displayer comes down, so it becomes clutter in the store and the testers fill up that irritating overflow beaker behind the shadows.

My guess.
smiles.gif

prinzessin784

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
Probably to:

1. Keep the looks/products fresh for customers. Keep us hooked and hungry for more.

2. Move that junk outta the warehouse and outta the counters. There isn't any room for it after the displayer comes down, so it becomes clutter in the store and the testers fill up that irritating overflow beaker behind the shadows.

My guess.
smiles.gif

Definitely. It's all about pushing products. They don't want leftovers from older collections hanging around when new collections come out.

lsperry

I believe this to be true for any product in any industry. MAC is not the only one doing this! That is what I would do if I were in business – I produced the stock; now I’ve got to sell it. A customer can always ask to be shown products from MAC’s regular line. That’s what I would do if I am not interested in the LE stuff and asked MAC Chat for a rec or visited a counter. The MAs I’ve dealt with have always been accommodating and shown me what I’ve asked to see. I only buy the LE stuff I’ll use and that flatters me…Not because it’s LE and might be gone soon! If I’m especially impressed w/it, then I’ll buy a back-up. Yeah, the color will probably be out of season at some point in time, but, again, I’ve never gone w/the make-up trends per se. I guess being African-American I never look at the trendy stuff as applying to me anyway. Almost always the models are Caucasian and the “new” look is for them. The one thing I do notice about MAC, though, they do try to include women of color in their line-up. I use MAC because for years I tried to find make-up that was pigmented enough for me. I love MAC’s variety of colors and I’m sticking with them both regular and LE. I look at the new collections, decide if the colors (or products) is needed or is flattering, then purchase it. I never look at buying a “whole” collection. Such as DANSE – I bought the two pigments and love them – am pressing them next weekend. The rest of the collection was too light for me. Disgruntled? No. I'm looking forward to MAC's future collections.

I guess I don’ get the mentality of buying a whole collection—How does one get hooked into doing that? What’s the point?

jillianjiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deirdre
I did that, once. And then realized that similar, if not exactly the same shades, maybe with a different finish, will appear in future collections.......

this is definitely true. i just bought jeté and i noticed that all that glitters and jest are extremely similar.

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore

Ugh those beakers are so terribly annyoing...we still have stuff from as far back as Sweetie Cake at my counter, but since they're no longer on display they kinda just collect dust. At least when my Budding runs out I know where to get another one.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsperry
.....I guess I don’ get the mentality of buying a whole collection—How does one get hooked into doing that? What’s the point?

For me, the habit started with my former 60% MA discount and gratis and then kept going when the discount and gratis went away. Yeah, it got a bit more expensive to say the least, so I taught myself to be a bit more discriminating!
lol.gif

Chic 2k6

i find it annoying lol its bad enough tryna pay for a set of LE stuff then something else comes out and i want want want lol

i got a Sweetie Cake gloss from a CCO along with my chromeglass, i found Shimmertime Pigment in an overflow tray as well as Sprout e/s, im chuffed bout Sprout because i really wanted it and didnt trust eBay
greengrin.gif

Thankfully im not at all interested in the next few collections e.g. Icon, Chrome&Cream, Charged Waters etc... I'll wait til Barbie, even then i'll buy a little bit

saniyairshad

for me it is if i dont get the LE product that i want now i wont be able to get it when i want it...which frustrates me then i'm like i wont use it as much because ill run out of it.. it's sooo frustrating

MACgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillianjiggs
this is definitely true. i just bought jeté and i noticed that all that glitters and jest are extremely similar.

OMG i demo'd all that glitters today on my customer and then later on demo'd jete on another and i was like damn they look hella similar!!!

MACgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
Ugh those beakers are so terribly annyoing...we still have stuff from as far back as Sweetie Cake at my counter, but since they're no longer on display they kinda just collect dust. At least when my Budding runs out I know where to get another one.

girl yes, we only have the petit gloss from sweetie cake!! only a few though yay!. The reason we push collections is because they are a trend just like clothes. We give the options of new color and technique for that time. I never shove these collections on my customers i simply let them know that we have beautiful new colors from our new collection, thry usally are hooked and want to see the new colors. But mac is a company, and as a company they must make a profit off collections, so its up to us to sell and wow customers with these new colors. But sometimes things dont go as planned (glitz gloss, glimmershimmer, petit gloss) but that to is apart of being company.

giz2000

I don't think I've ever pushed the LE items intentionally...most of the time, I stick with my tried and true, no-fail colors...

princess

Push them to make space for new stuff.

I have to agree about the beakers, they are kind of annoying.
lol.gif

MAC_Whore

Another reason they may promote those to you in the store is that as MAs we see the regular line everyday. When a new line launches, we are pretty excited about new colours.