Quest for holy grail foundation

malvales

Foundation is extremely important to me. But up to now I still haven't found my holy grail foundation
th_dunno.gif

Let's see...I tried MAC Studio Fix powder foundation and it ain't give me good coverage; MAC Studio Tech is good but somehow it makes my face look ashy. At the moment I wear MAC Mineralize SPF 15 and I love the texture but it doesn't give full coverage and staying power. I normally wear it for daily use but I also need one for special event when I want full coverage and airbrush finish.
I also tried BE Powder Foundation. I kinda like it but I don't like messy powdery stuff.
I do want to try other brands...But considering foundation is expensive, I don't want to just buy it without at least reading some reviews.
I want foundation that can be built up, flawless/airbrush finish, dewy, but not sticky or too matte either
pretty.gif

Do you know if such thing exists? What is your hg foundation and why do you like it?

obscuria

Nars sheer glow! It's the only foundation that I ever use anymore. It doesn't oxidize on me like other foundations, doesn't cause break outs, isn't cakey, and goes on quite smoothly.

mizuki~

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Foundation (dupe for NARS Sheer Glow) would be my HG foundation. Coverage is medium buildable. The finish is wowowow! Looks soooooo natural! Neither too matte nor too dewy but just right. Doesn't oxidize on my extremely oily face. Lasting power is great. Has SPF20

Just a little background story. I'm always on the hunt for great foundations and am never satisfied ('til now). I wanted to try NARS Sheer Glow after hearing great reviews but money was tight at that time and didn't want to spend so much money on something I might not like. Heard the Neutrogena was identical to it so I decided to try that before paying for the NARS price but instead fell in love with it and don't even feel the need to try the NARS.

Dior's Nude liquid foundation is also my HG as it is very similar to the one I previously mentioned. The only huge difference is the price. Dior is about 4x the price of the Neutrogena lol

fallenang3l211

I 2nd Sheer Glow, its the BEST foundation ever! I cringed at the thought of $42 for foundation...but I've tried lots of foundations from MAC! I used SFF, Studio Tech, Studio Fix Powder, and Studio Sculpt. All foundations felt cakey and didn't go on well...I had to do a lot of work to get a glowing dewy look. Sheer glow is amazing! I get a dewy look from the foundation itself...and its the lightest one I've used by far! Sheer Glow is my HG without a doubt.

MzzRach

I use and really like:

Shu Uemura Face Architect liquid foundation
Laura Mercier Oil free foundation
Giorgio Armani Matte Silk foundation (sadly discontinued)

malvales

I do hear a lot about Nars Sheer Glow. Maybe I should give a try...Damn it's $45!! I also heard about Georgio Armani foundation but I don't know which one. Is it the silk foundation that receives a lot of raves?

Simply Elegant

Chanel mat lumiere-actually is semi-matte once on skin
MUFE HD
NARS sheer glow

If my foundation won't be enough coverage and I'm having a bad skin day, I'll do the areas with the least amount of coverage first then mix a small amount of cream concealer in for the medium coverage areas like around my nose. It also makes foundation glide on more smoothly and looks great.

Shadowy Lady

Adding to the Sheer Glow raves....I love love love that foundation. I wear it on a daily basis. When I want to go out or know that I'll be photographed, I wear MUFE HD. These two are my HG's

RandomnessWithK

I think I'm the only one who wasn't wowed about the Nars sheer glow foundation. I too am still on the hunt for my HG foundation.

I'll stick around this thread to see any other recs
winks.gif

Pure Vanity

bobbi brown moisture rich and armani luminous silk are my hg's still lookig for that extra wow factor sadly lancome, chanel, dior to dark and going to waste on my dresser. how light does nars go girls im nw15.

malvales

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomnessWithK
I think I'm the only one who wasn't wowed about the Nars sheer glow foundation.

Hey K, what's your experience with it?
smiles.gif

RandomnessWithK

it oxidized on me and left me looking like an oil slick even when i used powder on top of it.. it was patchy on my cheeks.. not as bad as as MUFE mat velvet or Laura mercier oil free..

i actually like the MUFE face & body.. think i'll save up for that one since i'm running out of the sample.

from mac i really like the MAC face & body.. they said it's light to medium coverage.. but for my skin - the way the MA applied it - made it look flawless/airbrush finish.. and it looked full coverage.. i use that on days i'm in a rush.. and studio sculpt i like as well..

the mineralize creme i didn't like.. i know a lot of people like that one.. but it actually broke me out so i think i'm going to return it..

kenoki

HG was MAC Select Tint. *sobs*
Currently use GA Face Fabric... I like it fine. But it is no Select Tint.

..kels*

You should look into Face Atelier's Ultra Foundation.. As long as your skin isn't very oily, it should be exactly what you're looking for. You can buy samples from their website for I think either $1 or $2 each. HTH!
smiles.gif

Cinci

MUFE Mat Velvet is my favourite for oily skin.. Now that its getting warmer, I dont always want alot of foundatuon on my fave.. so i picked up a bottle of MAC F&B Mxing medium and mixed it with some of my MAT Velvet.. So now i have 2 formulas, a thicker fuller coverage one, and a light buildable one.

MzzRach

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvales
I do hear a lot about Nars Sheer Glow. Maybe I should give a try...Damn it's $45!! I also heard about Georgio Armani foundation but I don't know which one. Is it the silk foundation that receives a lot of raves?

The GA Luminous Silk foundation is a lovely formula and worth test driving. Gorgeous finish. The GA foundation I have, Matte Silk is no longer available so I am rationing the last bottle I have...

cetati

MUFE Mat Velvet also. It has such a smooth, beautiful finish and keeps the oilies at bay. It doesn't feel super heavy but it has wonderful wonderful coverage. The finish is similar and slightly more matte than MUFE HD but it has 100x better coverage seriously, can't stand MUFE HD anymore now that I've tried Mat Velvet. It does require a primer though but I LOVE IT.

kdolll

NARS Sheer Glow!! I apply it with a 109.. make sure to prime first! I've never ever had a foundation like this and I've tried them ALL from Mac.. ALL! at $42 it is pricey, but flawless face doesnt come with a price ;p. I also really like Estee Lauder Double Wear... 2 amazing foundations! Defneitley give NARS a try ! You can always return
smiles.gif

Strawberrymold

I love love love love love the hourglass veil foundation. It is lightweight, looks amazing on (think glow without dewiness) & is a light to medium coverage. + it is sweat and water proof. I have gone swimming and it hasn't come off. It's very pricey, but well worth it!