Question about foundation brush

dnarcidy

When I use my foundation brush (it's from Alison Raffaele), my foundation looks streaky. Is it the brush? My skin? The foundation? My technique? Help please
smiles.gif

gildedangel

What is your skin type? What foundation do you use? What type of brush are you using (flat? round? A comparison to a MAC brush would be helpful)?

dnarcidy

I have combination skin. You can take a look at the brush here Alison Raffaele - Detail. I use it with the Alison Raffaele Reality Base foundation, which is supposedly medium coverage, but I find it to be pretty sheer.
I'm thinking of switching over to MAC foundation and buying the 187 brush, because I'm guessing it's both the brush and the foundation I don't like.

gildedangel

Thanks for posting the pic! That is a strange shape for a foundation brush, I would normally use a brush like that for blush and contouring. I use a 187 for my foundation and I love it to death! I have combination skin too; I really like the MAC Studio Sculpt foundation. It isn't heavy or cakey but it has good coverage, it doesn't work for everyone but I think that it is worth a shot!

pinkieyardbird

I seem to have the same problem, super streaky coverage that I end up blending with my fingers anyway.

I have been using the 187 brush with Revlon Colorstay foundation. I actually went to a MAC counter this past weekend and bought the Studio Fix (NC25) foundation. When the MA was testing it on me, she used the 187 brush and it was also streaky. When she left to help another customer I quickly blended it in with my fingers. Silly, I should have asked her
cry.gif

Maybe we aren't blending it enough? Putting too much on the brush?

Strawberrymold

That is a strange brush for foundation. I much prefer a rounded synethic brush, they buff out liquids and creams like a dream... no fingers required. As to the foundation I can't comment because I have never used it. I use the MUFE HD foundation and love it though if you are in the market for a new foundation.

Almond_Eyed

I just make sure I do short strokes with my brush when I apply liquid foundation. I use a MAC 187 brush so blot the liquid on then use small circle motions and buffing as opposed to "wiping" it on.

Strawberrymold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnarcidy
Hmmm! Has anyone tried the beautyblender sponge? Maybe I'll get that.

Although it works well, it is way overpriced. It isn't magic and I have found many others I have liked more that were much cheeper and worked just as well. The Laura Mecier and MUFE sponges are nice and Sephora makes a sponge just as good as the Beauty Blender that is more than half the price.

CandeeNova

it's most likely a little of a few things. i have trouble with those paddle type foundation brushes. they make my skin look streaky and i have to work with them a lot to get my foundation to look the way i want it to look. my favorite brush for foundation is the MAC 109 because i can use it to buff the foundation on to my skin rather than slapping it on with a paddle brush. it makes my foundation look very blended and nice. hope this helps!
winkiss.gif

obscuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnarcidy
Hmmm! Has anyone tried the beautyblender sponge? Maybe I'll get that.

Target sells a cheaper version of the beauty blender by sonia kashuk.

I have the beauty blender. I think it is ok though after using it to apply foundation I usually reach for my MAC 109 to blend it in because otherwise it looks funny.

Vixxan

I had a really bad streaking problem with my 187 brush. If there is any type of build up in your brush it will streak. Even though I was shampooing my brush after every use the shampoo was not removing all the build up.

I switched to the MAC 109 brush but the shedding was so bad that I couldn't continue to use it for foundation. Out of all the brushes that I have tried for foundation this one gave me the nicest finish.

I am currently using Cover FX 160 for cream foundation. This is brush is perfect for cream foundation.
The Glam Shack: Cover Fx - 160 Foundation Brush

For liquid foundation I am using Cover FX 170 brush. The brush gives you a natural finish but it did have a slight learning curve for me. It took about a week for me to comfortable using this brush.The Glam Shack: Cover Fx - 170 Foundation Brush

For a polished air brushed look I use the Studio Tools Dual Finish Skunk brush from Target. I like this one better than the 187. The Glam Shack: Haul - Makeup Brushes

lenchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almond_Eyed
I just make sure I do short strokes with my brush when I apply liquid foundation. I use a MAC 187 brush so blot the liquid on then use small circle motions and buffing as opposed to "wiping" it on.

This how I apply my foundation as well using a MAC 187 brush, other times I use MAC 180 and buff it in.

fintia

I recently got the MAC 181 kabuki brush and I've been using it with my MAC Studio Sculpt and I am really liking the results