Question about glasses

SingFrAbsoltion

I've been needing new glasses for a while, and while browsing online I saw a Marc by Marc Jacobs frame that I loved. The only problem is, I can't buy it online because it's very hard for me to find frames that look good, and even though they look like the right shape I don't want to take my chances. I want to know how I can find out where I can try them on. Should I call local optometrists and find out if they have it? I'm so clueless about this
th_confused_new.gif

spectrolite

I think that would be a great start. You can maybe even contact the Marc Jacobs site and see a list of stockists or send an email requesting one. You can try searching for the style name or number of the glasses and well and see what comes up. Good luck finding your frames. It took me ages to find ones that I loved and it is really a good idea to try them on before you go ahead and purchase.

*KT*

I can check to see who manufactures these when I go to work tomorrow. The thing about eyeglasses is that every designer that has eyeglasses basically sells their name to a frame manufacturer. That manufacturer then designs & manufactures the frames. Sometimes the designer is involved, sometimes not.

For example:
Safilo currently has licenses for Kate Spade, Liz, Saks 5th Ave, Christian Dior, Armani, Armani Exchange, Nine West, etc
Marchon currently has a license to make Coach, Fendi, Calvin Klein, Nike, etc

Knowing which manufacturer makes the frames will probably help you locate a local optical shop who carries the frames or who could at least order it in for you. If they don't have an account with that vendor, they won't be able to order it for you.

And yeah, ordering prescription eyeglasses online is never a good idea.

*KT*

I just remembered that I could log into Eyefinity and check if it's made by one of the vendors we order online via eBuy since I have that login/pw memorized.... and BINGO!

Safilo is the vendor who makes Marc Jacobs. If you want to PM me where you live, I can call our Safilo rep. She might be able to tell me who in your area has a Safilo account. Otherwise you can just work your way through the phone book asking if they have Safilo frames and that there's a Marc Jacob's frame you're interested in.

COBI

I've been ordering my glasses online for some time now and have never had an issue, so I am not sure why "it is never a good idea".

*KT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
I've been ordering my glasses online for some time now and have never had an issue, so I am not sure why "it is never a good idea".

IMO, optical is a face-to-face service industry and I just don't think you get good service face-to-moniter. No live person there explaining the best lenses for your prescription (because not every lens material is suitable for every prescription or for every frame) and no one there to steer you away from frames that will make your lenses look like godawful. The typical consumer doesn't have a frame warmer or the proper tools at home to adjust the glasses when they arrive in the mail. Who gets a new frame part or lens if they get scratched or broken? Guessing you'd have to ship the whole thing back to them to get that kind of service rather than just walking in and having it fixed while you wait? There's someone physically there to stand behind the products.

For me, it's the difference between seeing a certified beautician to get your hair colored vs grabbing a bottle of Nice 'n' Easy off the shelf. It works great for some, but others come to work with purple hair. Terrific for those it works for (more power to you!), awful for those it doesn't.

I'm glad you've had such good experiences with it, but it's certainly not for everyone. I'll rescind my "it's never a good idea" and change it to "it's not always a good idea".

Note: I seldom work on the optical floor as of about 4 years ago. I got tired of the crazies between all the children and all the elderly that our practice sees. We've got 22 doctors and due to the nature of our practice, the largest population of patients are under 10 and over 60. But just like working at a cosmetics counter (or anywhere else where you work with the general public), there are some who are a pleasure and some who are a nightmare to help.

*KT*

CS was really helpful and gave me four places with active accounts in your zipcode. Will attempt to get all the into into a PM before the sonic wall comes back up at work. BOOO my tech people!!