Question about MAC lipstick

make_up_maven

Hi - I'm not new to MAC, I have 100's of ES, liner, blush, MSF, nail polish, etc. However, I intentionally never tried their lipstick because I'm so OCD and they have sooooooooooooo many lovely shades, I knew if I started with the lipsticks, I'd have to mortgage my house to buy them all! LOL

So, anyway - I caved on the Spring Color Forecast collection and purchased Victorian Pink and Color Me Coral. Both Frost finishes.

They feel REALLY dry to me. I had a hard time getting them to apply evenly and the color pay off wasn't what I expected. They puddled and pooled on the inner edge of my bottom lip (probably because I used too much to get the color pay off I was expecting).

I found them extremely uncomfortable to wear - love the colors - but the unevenness of application made they extremely unattractive on my lips. I hate lip gloss, so using gloss over them to help blend or make them feel less dry is not an option. I'll likely return them.

Did I get two bad ones? Is this inherent in the Frost finish of MAC lipsticks? Should I try again with a Cream finish? Or am I being too picky?

Anyone else have this problem with MAC lipsticks?

TIA

LMD84

sadly i think that it is just the frost finish
ssad.gif
i have a couple of them and they are very drying. i load up on lip balm and then apply the lipstick. glaze lipsticks are the most moisturising but the colour payoff is quite sheer.

User38

go to the mac website.. they have a listing of lipsticks in all the finishes (there must be at least 7)... and you will find Glazes, Lustres, Mattenes, Satin, Creamsheen, Matte, Amplified -- maybe I am skipping a few. If you find that any lip product applies unevenly maybe you should prep your lips with a balm and a lip erase (similar to a lip concealer) in order to find true colors.

panda0410

Not being picky, I personally dislike the feel and finish of a lot of MAC lippies, as well; in fact the only ones I love are the lustres. Many of the frosts are dry, and the satins and mattes are just plain horrible. Glaze is a lovely finish but the payoff is poor and overall - at least IMHO - other brands like NARS, YSL, Chanel make FAR FAR FAR better quality lippies than MAC. I even prefer some of the Revlon lippies to MACs for finish. MAC is affordable though, but more recently I have been using Inglot and found even they are better than MAC and cost a little less. I'm really falling off the MAC bandwagon tbh - though the cremesheens and dazzleglasses, and the VP/starflash shadows really cant be beaten
winks.gif

Meisje

I find all MAC lipsticks are very drying on the lips, but the ones I have apply nicely.

purrtykitty

Most of MAC's frosts are like that, and for that reason I much prefer lustres. I'd try exfoliating your lips and using a good moisturizing balm and primer before giving up.

Brittany88

I agree. I think it is a characteristic of the frost lipsticks. I have Angel and it is a frost, but it is less "frosty" of the other frosts I have tried. My favorite finish that I have tried is Creamsheen. For me, the color payoff is great and they look really good on.

LMD84

ah yes, cremesheens are very opaque however don't feel dry or heavy.
smiles.gif

i do like lustres however they never stay on me very long!!

thiscarmen

Yup frosts are pretty drying.
One thing you can do is apply lipbalm right when you start to do makeup, and if you do your lipstick last, just blot the lipbalm away before applying your lipstick.

Or you can try other formulas. I find that cremesheens, lustres and amplified creams have great payoff without being horribly dry.

LisaOrestea

I dont really like Frosts for the same reason...but seriously, if you find them too drying DO NOT go for a Satin. They are horrid
ssad.gif

Lustres and Glazes are my favourites. I love the amplified formula too but the colours tend to be a little loud for everyday use haha.

vcheng79

I have the same problem with Frost. Very drying. I have very dry lips and when I applied Frost lipsticks the lines on my lips are even more obvious...errrrrrrr

FiestyFemme

I don't care too much for the frosts. The two I have are fairly dry. They're not too bad if I apply a slick lipbalm before, but I would never try to put them on bare lips. My fave finish is Cremesheen, because it's pigmented but glossy and non-drying. I like the Lustre finish ok, but only certain shades.