Question about Mac palettes?

vintagegold14

I am just starting to collect Mac eyeshadows and I think it would be easier to keep them in palettes instead of individual pots. my questions are it:

-is it better to buy palette refills instead of actual eyeshadow pots?

-how do you know which eyeshadow is which when you have a palette?

thanks, obviously i'm a little new to all this so any tips, advice, or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

chynegal

thre refills are cheaper to buy then the single eyeshadow buy it self....the refills are about $11 compared to the $14.50 for the single...as for knowing which one is which after awhile you get to know the names of them... i have a palette now and i think i know only 2 of the names of the eyshadows in that palette cuz those are the ones i use the most

Ebbychina

Hi there,

If you have intentions on keeping a palette, then in my opinion, it is better to buy the refill pans (its cheaper and you don't have to go through the hassle of depotting). I don't really like to depot, but if there is a collection, then I am forced to, however, the upside of doing so is if you have 6 of them, you can Back 2 Mac the empty cases at your local MAC store or counter and receive a free lipstick.

To tell which eyeshadow is which, you can just lift the refill pan out of the individual slots (because the palette is magnetized, it is easy to lift out). However, if you are like me and don't want to be bothered, you can buy little round stickers and place them on the inner cover of the palette so you know the different shadows.

I take a picture of my palettes and label them in photoshop and keep a printed copy on my vanity or in my traincase like this:

Enjoy your palette!!

malaviKat

I prefer palettes as they're easier to store and my personal preference is the purchase of pro pans/palette inserts because they create less waste. As the others have mentioned however, in the event of a collection (ie. something that isn't part of the regular line) I have to buy potted shadows and depot them. (I use the black casings for Back2MAC). In that case, as part of my depotting procedure, I carefully melt the glue on the label at the bottom of a pot and then fix it to the bottom of my depotted pan before I insert it into the palette. This way, all of my pans have a label at the bottom.

It should be noted that while you can Back2MAC a Pro pan, you cannot Back2MAC a pan that has been removed from a pot (and certain stores/counters will force you to bring in both your black pot and your pan for Back2MAC. Check with your local store).

My palettes are arranged by colour and are all labeled on the outside. I also label the inside of my palettes using Microsoft Excel.

Some old pics of my collection:

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

Hope that helps you!

malaviKat

^ Yeah. I know at the stores around me you can (because the MAs keep reminding me about that every time I reach the cash register.) I hear this varies depending on location though, so you should check with your local store. They should take it back...

(What tends to vary more widely is whether or not they'll accept a pot without the silver pan inside it.)

vintagegold14

thank you so much everyone!!!
ok, so it's better to buy pro pans?? i think that's what i'll do!! i can't wait!!!

euphrosyne_rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaviKat
I prefer palettes as they're easier to store and my personal preference is the purchase of pro pans/palette inserts because they create less waste. As the others have mentioned however, in the event of a collection (ie. something that isn't part of the regular line) I have to buy potted shadows and depot them. (I use the black casings for Back2MAC). In that case, as part of my depotting procedure, I carefully melt the glue on the label at the bottom of a pot and then fix it to the bottom of my depotted pan before I insert it into the palette. This way, all of my pans have a label at the bottom.

It should be noted that while you can Back2MAC a Pro pan, you cannot Back2MAC a pan that has been removed from a pot (and certain stores/counters will force you to bring in both your black pot and your pan for Back2MAC. Check with your local store).

My palettes are arranged by colour and are all labeled on the outside. I also label the inside of my palettes using Microsoft Excel.

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

Hope that helps you!

That is the most awesome job of organizing and labeling of a palette I've seen. It looks so pretty! I have to agree that buying the refills is better/cheaper than depotting even though it is great to have the empties for B2M. I usually only get the pots when I have to with the LE or collections. The depotting process isn't always smooth and I prefer not to depot if I don't have to.
M^ love the Serendipity quote btw.
yes.gif

vintagegold14

ok, got it! i will definitely buy the refill pans and label my palettes, hopefully as neat and pretty as all of yours are
smiles.gif
thank u so much!

NellyKim

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaviKat

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

Hope that helps you!

drools.gif
drools.gif
drools.gif
so greate collection of palettes
drools.gif

lauraglou

Oh I wish my dressing table looked so neat!

What are those little round beads called that you have in the glass jar. I'm trying to get some from the UK and don't know where to look or what to ask for. All I can find it little stones that have rough edges.

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraglou
Oh I wish my dressing table looked so neat!

What are those little round beads called that you have in the glass jar. I'm trying to get some from the UK and don't know where to look or what to ask for. All I can find it little stones that have rough edges.

That stuff is called ColorFill. I'm not 100% sure where you'd find it in the UK, but you could try local florists or art supply stores - anywhere they're in the business of making floral arrangements.

HTH!
smiles.gif