Question about spaying & neutering kittens!? I have a male & female!

HOTasFCUK

Hey! i have two little kittens that i got about a month ago. My precious cat ran away in August when i was on a business trip & we never found her! A good customer from my parents store gave us a little grey female kitten (Bella) and then about a week or so later, my boyfriend decideds to surprise me with a little orange male kitten (Phantom) so now i have two! Bella is now 3 or so months old & Phantom is about 2 months or so. They actaully get along really well but they love to get frisky with each other & i'm scared that as they get a few months older & in heat, the friskiness will turn into a litter of more kittens here!

I took them to the vet & they said that once Phantom's balls drop, then we can get his fixed. Well i just noticed yesterday that they are there! My last cat was fixed at 5 months because she went into heat early & was driving me & my family crazy! Has anybody been in this situation where 2 cats will have to be fixed? Should i get them done at the same time? And when? I don't want them to start mating, going into heat, or have them spraying urine! My last female cat even sprayed some crap all over my bed & my parents bed! Please let me know what you have done with your cats! Thanks!!!

P.S. We should have a pet forum here!!! I'm really surprised we don't! I know there are so many pet owners here on Specktra! :p

xxManBeaterxx

Hey haha i remember you from our makeup alley swap xP like 6 months ago

Two kittens?? They must be sooo freaking adorable to watch!!

I see no problem getting both of them neutered/spayed at the same time. They say you should spay the female before her first heat, if not her chances of getting cancer in her female parts (mammary and ovarian) increase dramatically. As long as they are around minimum 5 months old (dont wait any later or they could make babies O.O) you can spay and neuter them both! Until then if your really worried you can have her wear a diaper O.O LOL.

HOTasFCUK

Hey! Yes i remember you from that swap!!! We have an appointment for their 2nd de-worming the last week of October so i think i will start booking a date for them!!! I love watching them play & sleep together but sometimes they look like they are killing each other! I know they are playing but they scare me sometimes lol i think its best to get them fixed at the same time. If one comes home from the operation & the other is hyper & wants to play, then we got trouble because they sometimes will wake each other up to rough around! At least they will both be drowsy that night and just relax and heal together! I'm going to ask the doctor about the risk of developing cancers. I read about that somewhere but thanks for letting me know!

pink_lily002

Talk with your vet when you go back to see what they recommend. Both my cats were spayed when I got them. I would imagine that the vet would recommend doing both operations around the same time. Good luck!

kimmy

i just got my kitten fixed, she's almost four months but my boy cat (who has been fixed since 1996) was trying to get at her so i figured she was probably coming into heat.

just keep an eye on the stitches because you don't want them to get infected. it's normal for the incision site to be a little red and puffy for the first few days, and a little bit of pus will probably be seen but it isn't anything to worry about. you can apply iodine with a cotton swab over the stitches to clean the wound and the iodine will leave a protective barrier, too.
smiles.gif

velvet

the humane society here fixes kittens when they are 3 lbs i believe. at least the females.

as far as i know it is safer now to do it at a younger age than it used to be. I volunteered for this organization for a year (specifically for the cats)
smiles.gif
Columbia Second Chance

x3n

Hmm, well, I see no problem with getting both of them fixed at the same time.
I have two 10 month old girl kittens, sisters
smiles.gif
, who have to yet to be fixed, yes I know, they should have been fixed by now, but we honestly can't afford it.. We should be getting them fixed soon, as they drive our boy cats INSANE! One of our boys now literally beats on one of the girls because she's always crawling all over him when she's in heat. xD But all our boys are fixed, once is 13, the other is 5, and we got him because my uncle passed away, and he was his cat, so my nana gave him to me to keep, and he had already prepaid for him to get fixed, and our one year old, we got from the local shelter, and since he was a boy, it's not as expensive as it is to get a girl fixed.
But yeah, you wouldn't want little kittens running around, especially when the two are still kittens themselves!
Although, I would suggest getting the boy fixed first, as I believe they tend to spray. Girls, however, just drive you INSAAAANE.
/end of ridiculously long post.
smiles.gif

Tinkee-Belle

Get them fixed as soon as you can.. recovery is easier the younger they are. We get all our kittens done at 10 weeks of age. But there are not many vet places that will do them that young because they are so small you need to have a highly skilled vet. When we have litters we take all kittens in at the same time. As soon as the anesthesia wears off, they are playing and dont even know anything happened to them. Adult cats will be in pain for a few days. Also, the sooner you get your kittens fixed the least likely they are to spray. And girls will spray just as much as the boy cats if not more...

You are smart for deciding to fix your cats this early.. many people wait waaaay too long and it is harder on you and the cats!

And I agree about the pet forum!!!!!

sweetbabyblue

Yes, there shouldn't be a problem with getting them fixed at the same time, but keep them apart for a little while after they've been fixed because you dont want the male ripping the stitches off the female by accident.
Mammary gland cancers are more frequent in non desexed females and in males prostate cancer is higher in males that arent desexed. There are also many other benefits from desexing your animals. Good on you!
smiles.gif