Question for those with HUGE MAC collections...

arbonnechick

Could any of y'all who have these ginormous MAC collections and have catalogued them on spread sheets show me an example of how you've done it? I'd like to actually see some of your spreadsheets.
smiles.gif

My collection is getting HUGE, and I really need to list it all out somewhere.

TIA!!!
wavey.gif

mandirigma

seriously! and if somebody could whip up a macro or an easy-inventory program that'd be awesome too. LOL.

(i myself just have a janky word document in columns. lol.)

Femme Noir

I just keep a little notebook. Categorizing the pages as "Eyeshadows" "Lipsticks" "Limited Edition Collection items" "Brushes" You get the idea
smiles.gif

lara

I keep a list on my PDA, otherwise I'm likely to accidently pick up doubles.

Liz

i have a spread sheet. i mark if i have them, if it's a reg e/s, LE, D/C, or pro. then if i can/know the texture, i'll put that, and if i know the collection it was in and when it was d/c'd.

so the spreadsheet calculates how many e/s i have, how many LE e/s, etc.

allan_willb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
I keep a list on my PDA, otherwise I'm likely to accidently pick up doubles.

That is such a great idea.Thank god I pretty much know everything I have so I don't go out and buy doubles because I'm sure a lot of girls do that.I think I need a PDA now hah!

Katgirl625

Anne, PM me your email, and I'll send you what i've started...I think I did one basket of stuff so far...

moonrevel

I have an Excel spreadsheet where I just put the name of the color, the product type (eyeshadow, Pigment, CCB, etc.), and the price. I sort it first by product type alphabetically, and then all the things in each product type are alphabetized. I used to have one where I also put the color family and the intended use (eyes, lips, multipurpose) so that I could run analyses of my collection in SPSS to see what kinds of colors in what kinds of products I buy the most (because I am a big dork), but I kind of gave up on that.

MAC_Whore

I have a monstrously huge-antic, ginormous collection, so I made an Access database. It tracks products and their stats (LE, DC, if I own it or not, collection launched with, etc), collections, and other misc info. Next step is to add the graphics of all the collections and pics of products.

I did this to keep track of my MAC, so I don't buy the same thing twice and to keep my Access skills sharp. Durrrr, I am a fucking geek! I am like the Napolean Dynomite of MAC, "I have MAC and Access skillllz". I am still tweaking it, but it is looking good so far.
smiles.gif

lola336

I have a spreadsheet too in excel but mine has separate tabs at the bottom for different things.. i have one tab for 15 pan palletes, one for blush palettes, one for when i buy items - i put what i bought and how much i spent, that way i can keep track of my spending on certain things. I have a looks tab where I put down favorite eye and lip combos. Hmm..I have a wants list tab where I put down what Im looking to buy and any items im waiting for in the mail. And then i have a tab for my inventory separated by lipstick, lipglass, pigments, etc. wow...im a loser..lmao..heres a screenshot of it
smiles.gif

sorry it came out shitty but u get the idea - im linking to it cause for some reason it didnt paste right either..grrrrr

hope this helps!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a62/lola336/MAC.jpg

midnightlouise

I used to just have a plain, old document in Word where I would list things under category by year etc., but my computer crashed recently & I lost all of it! Of course I never thought I'd need to back it up so I'll just have to do it again. *sigh* But this time I'm going to do it in Excel for better organization. We'll see....

Liz

for the people that put the prices down, do you change them when there are price changes??

mare

I have an Excel spreadsheet with... a growing number of tabs. First is overall Lip stuff, listing just color by product (lipstick, lipglass, chromeglass, etc.) Second is overall Eye stuff, listing just color by product (eyeshadow, powerpoints, glitter liners, etc.) Then there's a Face/Multipurpose page, with colors listed by products (blushes, CCBs, pearlizers, pigments, etc.)

Then there's the detail pages, of which I've only done 3 so far. The Eyeshadow Detail page lists the color name, finish, whether I have pan, pot, or both, collection name, size, and top type (flip or screw). The Lipstick detail has color name, finish, and collection name. The Lipglass/Lustreglass detail just has color name and collection.

There's also a page for postcards/promos, but I'm still looking into a better way to organize that.

This is a listing only of what I have, not the whole product line and what I have of it. I haven't marked limited or permanent, or discontinued, but I think that's pretty easy to figure out with printouts of the Specktra color stories pages.

Mare

lola336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
for the people that put the prices down, do you change them when there are price changes??

well u can infer that from the prices u pay...like i have one spreadsheet for cost. one column is the item name, next column is the price. the third column is the total from that particular transaction. so i group them by when i got it...that way i keep track of what i pay for when i get things either from mac, ebay, spectra...etc. That way i can keep track of what i got things for..like ok..i got that lipstick for 10 bucks....u know. in the event i want to sell it later on..i know what my cost was. so if there is a price change its reflected by the cost next to that item. i dont have the pricing per category..like e/s are 13...ls are 14..etc.

arbonnechick

You guys are all just the AWESOMEST for these tips and ideas!!!
wavey.gif

I have lots of info to help me get my collection catelogued, and I couldn't have done it without y'all.
th_worship.gif

arbonnechick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
I have a monstrously huge-antic, ginormous collection, so I made an Access database. It tracks products and their stats (LE, DC, if I own it or not, collection launched with, etc), collections, and other misc info. Next step is to add the graphics of all the collections and pics of products.

I did this to keep track of my MAC, so I don't buy the same thing twice and to keep my Access skills sharp. Durrrr, I am a fucking geek! I am like the Napolean Dynomite of MAC, "I have MAC and Access skillllz". I am still tweaking it, but it is looking good so far.
smiles.gif

OMG, I freakin' LOVE Napoleon Dynamite!!!
rofl.gif

You have a ginormous MAC collection?
"Lucky!!!" <-----said in my best Napoleon voice

angel_grll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore

smiles.gif

Dang!! I wanna see your Access Database!! I've never tried using it before but it sounds awesome!

Latest posts