Question: How to balance e/s textures

dopista

Hi!

I mostly have veluxe pearls and a few frosts in my collection. I now feel like my looks are too shiny and really don't have any depth to them if you know what I mean. I have tete-a-tint as a "blending colour/transition colour" as a MAC MA called it. I was hoping someone could explain how to use different e/s textures to balance a look and perhaps give e/s recs to achieve this. I hope this question makes sense! Thanks!

MACATTAK

For depth, I would recommend matte shadows. Depending on the color on your lid, I would just put a darker, matte color in your crease.

FiestyFemme

You definitely need some satins/mattes to balance all the shimmery e/s. If I do a shimmer on the lid, I usually do satin or matte shades in the crease and outer V. I might highlight with another shimmery shade though. I like to use at least a matte shade in the outer V, even if I use shimmery shades everywhere else. I'm slowly building my matte collection!

ForgetRegret

My best advice would be to invest in some nice matte crease colors...I don't know if you watch any YouTube tutorials, but if you watch Risa (MakeupByRisa), she often emphasizes the importance of using a matte color in your crease, because what you're trying to do is create depth and put a shadow there...if the color you're using is shimmery, it's not going to create the depth you're looking for, because the shimmer will catch the light and totally defeat the purpose of darkening the area. If you're doing something sparkly or shimmery on the lid, I'd go with a highlight that's not too shimmery. Something like Vanilla e/s by MAC...it's got a subtle sheen to it, but it's not a sparkly or shimmery color. HTH!

gildedangel

I tend to pick about half of the colors to be matte or satin and the rest are more frosty. You should pick up a few neutral mattes and a matte highlight to help give depth to your looks. HTH!

hhunt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestyFemme
If I do a shimmer on the lid, I usually do satin or matte shades in the crease and outer V. I might highlight with another shimmery shade though. I like to use at least a matte shade in the outer V, even if I use shimmery shades everywhere else. I'm slowly building my matte collection!

I definitly agree! That's what I do (And, as an example, a look I did last Friday):

Shimmer/frost on lid (Amber Lights e/s; frost)
Satin or matte in crease (Orange e/s; matte. And a little dark satin brown in outer crease)
Satin as highlight (but I used Blanc Type e/s; Matte2. But now that I'm thinking about it... Ricepaper e/s would have been good too.)
Then add a shimmer/frost on the inner corner and a little under the highest arch of the eyebrow. (Gold Mode p/g)

Mattes are sometimes hard to use, especially when adding directly to your base then blending (ex: Gesso e/s). So I usually add a little shimmer or satin e/s on top (a color similar to the matte e/s). It has a unique finish and it blends better. [I hope that made sense, lol].

ThePowderPuff

I just mix different textures as I like. It doesn't cause any problems at all. In fact I do more mixes rather than sticking to just one texture. If it's all shiny and glimmery it can too much in my opinion.