Question...

Evey

Ok, so I currently make these wax dipped, scented teddy bears as gifts n such occassionally....I'm thinking about starting to sell them. My question is, would any of you purchase a wax dipped teddy bear? If so, would you pay $20-25 for one?

For those of you who don't know what a wax dipped teddy bear is...

It's basically a plush teddy bear (usually hairy) that is dipped in scented wax and acts like a candle without the flame. The scent lasts for months and you can renew the scent by putting on a blow dryer on low for about 20 seconds.

Anydo, let me know what you think. I don't want to start doing this and then find out no one wants one...LOL!

blazeno.8

I'd probably have to see (and smell) one. Do you use opaque wax or transparent wax? When you say it's like a candle, does it give off light or does it just smell like one?

CantAffordMAC

I probably wouldn't buy one. if it were like a candle with a flame, I might. But of course thats kind of impossible, the teddy bear would probably catch fire.

If it were a smaller bear and was sold for like $8-10 I might. It'd have to be really cute though.

gigglegirl

would you be able to show us a picture of what one would look like? My initial hunch is no--but I'm bad at visualizing! I love me candles!!

Evey

Here's an example.... the ribbon can be changed and it can either be around the neck for a boy or around the head for a girl....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeno.8
I'd probably have to see (and smell) one. Do you use opaque wax or transparent wax? When you say it's like a candle, does it give off light or does it just smell like one?

It doesn't give off light. It's like a candle in the sense that it's waxed and scented but you don't have to light it. It just gives off a really nice scent.

Quote:
I probably wouldn't buy one. if it were like a candle with a flame, I might. But of course thats kind of impossible, the teddy bear would probably catch fire.

If it were a smaller bear and was sold for like $8-10 I might. It'd have to be really cute though.

LOL yeah lighting the teddy bear is a no no hahaha....I will be making smaller wax dipped teddies...

browneyedbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Personally I would not buy such a product.

Nor me but good luck if you decide to go ahead with selling them etc

gigglegirl

thanks for sharing a pic. Not my cup of tea. I'd rather spend the cash on a candle. I don't like the idea of some wax covered thing just sitting there. And if its a really humid/hot day?

LOL plus the fact I have two dogs that love any stuffed animals (the youngest one likes to swing them around and pull off ears). You leave them somewhere where they can see it, by golly they will try and get them and either slobber them or rip them.

Though I assume if you're already doing them, there is some kind of market for them.

Evey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl
thanks for sharing a pic. Not my cup of tea. I'd rather spend the cash on a candle. I don't like the idea of some wax covered thing just sitting there. And if its a really humid/hot day?

LOL plus the fact I have two dogs that love any stuffed animals (the youngest one likes to swing them around and pull off ears). You leave them somewhere where they can see it, by golly they will try and get them and either slobber them or rip them.

Though I assume if you're already doing them, there is some kind of market for them.

hehe! Def not a good idea with dogs around haha...surprisingly though, the wax on them doesn't melt....unless of course it's sitting outside in 100 degree weather...

there is a market for them here...i guess i'm just scared to do it and get stuck with all these bears hahahhaa

gigglegirl

have you set up a website as well? would they ship well?

You probably don't have to make 100 off the hop, but a handful or two, see how they sell and if people make orders for them. Also have to see if there would be growing demand or repeat business. Would a person want them redipped (does the wax dissipate at all over a long period of time?--after several hairdrying times)
-is it very susceptible to dust sticking to it?
-would it be a one-time purchase like a novelty but not a prolonged business?
-do you offer other things? (I think the different sizes would be great like a mini one someone could bring to an office--market it as such. IIRC most offices do not allow candles for the fire hazard but many people have personal effects like a little stuffy--maybe this wax dipped thing could help your cubicle smell better after a co-worker wafts in after their smoke).

blazeno.8

I think it's very cute and adorable! I know that people who have babies might like it as decoration in the baby's room (we're talking very small and immobile babies). Not only would it rid of "baby scents", but a lot of grandparents and parents would love that!

Evey

Would a person want them redipped (does the wax dissipate at all over a long period of time?--after several hairdrying times) The wax won't come off unless you lay on the hairdryer for a long time. It's recommended that you only do it for about 20 seconds only when the scent is no longer there. but i would also offer scent refreshers....
-is it very susceptible to dust sticking to it? From my experience, dust can be dusted off...lol that sounds weird...
-would it be a one-time purchase like a novelty but not a prolonged business? I think most people would be a one time purchase unless they purchase some as gifts...seeing as they last a long time.
-do you offer other things? (I think the different sizes would be great like a mini one someone could bring to an office--market it as such. IIRC most offices do not allow candles for the fire hazard but many people have personal effects like a little stuffy--maybe this wax dipped thing could help your cubicle smell better after a co-worker wafts in after their smoke). I would like to offer different size teddies and also other stuffed animals. I want to start with teddies first though just to see how they sell. This is one thing I was thinking about though. It would be really good for offices in which candles aren't allowed. You'd be surprised at how the scent fills a room. I also want to do special teddies for baby showers or for a new baby. I'd offer gift packaging as well...They do travel/ship well.

Thanks for all the stuff you gave me to think about....this is great!

gigglegirl

LOL I'm sorry I posted so many times, but it got me thinking! I like the possible office use..... hmmm...no dogs there! Def keep us posted!

Evey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl
LOL I'm sorry I posted so many times, but it got me thinking! I like the possible office use..... hmmm...no dogs there! Def keep us posted!

hehe don't be sorry! You gave me good things to think about. =D

Araylan

It's a cute gift idea and the like, but I wouldn't buy one. The general idea is good so maybe if you kept rolling with it, something would work out. I think that's probably too much money to charge for one of those. My reasons for not buying would probably be:
-pets
-if there are children in the house (not mine personally haha) they would surely want to play with/eat it
-I'm picky about how textures and how things feel
-if it gets hot (since not everyone uses air in the summer) will it stick to/ruin what it's sitting on?

What I do when considering anything, is make a list of pros and cons. That tends to weigh significantly on my decision however if it's something I really believe it, I may just decide that it's worth the risk.

Hope that this is taken constructively, that is certainly how it is meant.
:)

chocodcocoa

They look cute but I wouldn't buy one... They seem kinda hard and crunchy... I like my teddies and other stuffed animals huggable <3

spectrolite

Honestly I wouldn't buy one either. I love having scented soy candles, incense and oil diffusers, but I can't imagine having a scented teddy. What does the texture feel like? I'd be really concerned with it collection dust and the wax melting or heating up and leaving a stain. (It gets pretty hot here + no air-con!)I can see how they would be appealing though. It's the kind of item I'd expect to see at a hospital gift shop or a card shop.

It's great that you are getting all of this feedback before you go ahead. Good luck what ever you decide to do
smiles.gif

Latest posts