Questions before a possible demo interview

tarteheart

(Mods, please move this to a better place as you see fit!)

I have eight questions for the makeup artists out there. I realize that people do things differently, and would like your experience and input. I'm asking these questions in preparation for possibly/hopefully getting a demo interview, so I really appreciate your responses.
smiles.gif

Questions:
1) How can I use the 208 or 266 angled brush to apply Eye Kohls to create a thin, precise line?
2) Is this the order, generally, that you tend to do things in?
- Cleanse and moisturize entire face
- Apply primer, concealor/foundation to upper eye area
- To upper eye: Apply crease colors, then lid colors, then highlight colors, (then false lashes, if necessary), then liner, then mascara
- Clean lower eye area, apply primer, apply concealor/foundation; apply color/liner/mascara; fill in brows
- Spray Fix+ if necessary, apply primer, apply foundation
- Apply cream blush products; apply powder blush products
- Prime lips, apply liner, apply lipstick, apply gloss
3) Relating to the above question, when applying brow set, when do you do it? Before applying color to the eyes? Before applying powder to the face? Is it the last step you do? Or when do you fill in the brows?
4) Do you tend to blend and feather lipliner before applying lipstick, or do you blend both products into each other?
5) Are the following brushes appropriate for applying Blushcremes/CCBs?: 116, 187, 190, 192. Are there any other face brushes appropriate for cream products?
6) What brushes do you tend to use for foundations? For liquid/cream products, are you applying with 187/190/192 -- and then what brush are you using to buff?
7) Do you have a lot of success applying mascara onto your customers (if you work in retail)? I'm guessing it depends on the individual person's sensitivity, correct?
8) Is it acceptable to have a customer cleanse his/her own face with a wipe during a demo/application, or should I be doing it for them?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

user3

I put my answers and suggestions in purple for you find them easily.

Questions:
1) How can I use the 208 or 266 angled brush to apply Eye Kohls to create a thin, precise line?

Use just the tip of the brush and swipe it over the Kohl. Apply to the eye using just the tip

2) Is this the order, generally, that you tend to do things in?
- Cleanse and moisturize entire face
- Apply primer, concealor/foundation to upper eye area (I tend to not apply foundation or concealer to my upper eye area, I use a primer or MAC paints)
- To upper eye: Apply crease colors, then lid colors, then highlight colors, (then false lashes, if necessary), then liner, then mascara (the order of e/s colors and false lashes will vary by person. You need to find out what works best for you and how you like to apply them)
- Clean lower eye area, apply primer, apply concealor/foundation; apply color/liner/mascara; fill in brows
(I personally do not apply primer to lower eye area or anyone else's when doing their makeup)
- Spray Fix+ if necessary, apply primer, apply foundation
- Apply cream blush products; apply powder blush products
- Prime lips, apply liner, apply lipstick, apply gloss
The order of many things will vary by how you like to apply them. Many people apply their foundation before they do the their eyes. It's all about what works for you.

3) Relating to the above question, when applying brow set, when do you do it? Before applying color to the eyes? Before applying powder to the face? Is it the last step you do? Or when do you fill in the brows?
When using brow set I apply it after my eyeshadow and all powder products.

4) Do you tend to blend and feather lipliner before applying lipstick, or do you blend both products into each other?
I blend the lipliner then apply the lipstck with a brush. I blend the lipstick while applying.

5) Are the following brushes appropriate for applying Blushcremes/CCBs?: 116, 187, 190, 192. Are there any other face brushes appropriate for cream products?
116 is better for powder products
Plenty of people use the 187 for cream products
While the 190 may work I would suggest using the 192 it will give you more control.

6) What brushes do you tend to use for foundations? For liquid/cream products, are you applying with 187/190/192 -- and then what brush are you using to buff?
190 or 187 for applying foundation and to buff the 180

7) Do you have a lot of success applying mascara onto your customers (if you work in retail)? I'm guessing it depends on the individual person's sensitivity, correct?
The trick to applying mascara on others is getting them to relax. I tend to talk more to them right before I apply the mascara. This way they won't think about it and the twitching of the eye will be mild. I have my clients look down. Since they will naturally blink I just swipe the brush up as they blink. To get the mascara at the base of the lashes I have them look the right for the right eye and to the left for the left eye. For bottom lashes I just have them look straight at me.

8) Is it acceptable to have a customer cleanse his/her own face with a wipe during a demo/application, or should I be doing it for them?
This will vary. Some clients like to this themselves. Typcially you will do it for them unless they ask otherwise.