questions for demo...

beautenoir

okay, I have a few questions for my demo on thursday...

assuming my model has no makeup on, what do i use to clean her skin...wipes?

how does everything get sanitized before application?...will i be shown this?

is the MA standing over my shoulder or just checking up on me?

they will be choosing a scenario for me when i get there...do they pick out the products they want me to use or do I choose stuff myself?

depending of course on the look, are false eyelashes a must?(I've never done this on anyone but myself)

lip liner?...I don't use it so this part scares me because I've never even applied it on myself.

thanks guys...any help is totally appreciated.

depecher

I was the model for someone last summer at Nordies. I am not an aspiring MA, so some of my more technical answers may not be spot on. You may want to do a sanitizing search. Here are some answers to your questions:

Skin cleaning: I have sensitive skin, so she didn't clean it. I've never had them do it at the store/counter either because of my allergy to fragrance. I can't help you here.
ssad.gif

You will have to sanitize everything. The powder products get wiped with a tissue. The eyeliner/lipliner get sharpened and then treated with alcohol. The lipstick also gets dipped in alcohol and then wiped with a tissue. The mascara will be from a temporary wand. You will be given brushes though.
smiles.gif

The manager didn't stand over us. She did give the MA to be half an hour to create a look. I can't remember if it was 30 minutes for day time and 30 minutes for night time. She did leave to do her work. She did come back a few times to see how things went.

They gave the MA to be a look from a face chart to create. She had to choose the products to recreate the look. I think they stacked the deck though because they gave her colors that were sooo NOT me--warm ones and bleh to that face chart. I felt bad for the MA too!

They had her apply false eyelashes on me. I've never worn them and dont plan on it either. The manager did give her some tips on the application after the demo.

They did have her use a lipliner and lipstick. I don't remember what was used, but it wasn't anything I would have chosen.

Rebelrock had just come out. Rather than giving her a look (purple and blue) that would look good on me and my skintone, they did the opposite. I guess they wanted to see her application skills. She did get the job though, so I guess it all worked out. Unfortunately, she quit in December.
ssad.gif

I hope this helps!

shabdebaz

I didn't have to do a demo, but I'll try to answer some of your questions. Wipes are good to cleanse your model's skin. I think even handing it to her is okay.

Basically, for sanitizing, everything that is powder based (shadows, blushes, studio fix....), the surface is wiped clean with a clean tissue. Anything liquid (foundation, liquid liner...) has to be poured out into a petri dish and cream (studio tech, CCBs, fluidlines...) has to be scooped out into a petri dish. Everything else is dipped in alcohol and wiped (lipsticks, shadesticks...). Remember for pencils to "dip, sharpen and dip" before using. Of course, for lipglasses, mascaras and such, always use the disposable wands.

I'm not sure if someone will be watching you the whole time or going back and forth. I guess it depends on how busy they are.

I don't think you will be required to apply false lashes. It is something that you will be taught, so I don't think you will be expected to do it for the demo.

And, for the lip liner, I think that you should definitely use it. They look for the "3 products" on the lips. So, a liner, lipstick and gloss.

Good luck!

tarteheart

Whether or not someone will be watching over you...it depends on the place. I know that when I do my demo, it is most likely that someone will be standing right behind me or right next to me. Also, I believe every demo may be different as far as recreating a face chart, or recreating a look from a magazine, or doing your own look from scratch. And lastly, I believe (but I am not certain) that after your first demo, you would do another demo with an eyelash application.

devin

assuming my model has no makeup on, what do i use to clean her skin...wipes?

if your model comes in with a clean face then you don't have to clean her face. you can use some of their skincare products like fix+, etc. just to show that you have some knowledge of their skincare line. if you have some fallout you can either choose to do the foundation last or use wipes to clean up the fallout.

how does everything get sanitized before application?...will i be shown this?

my trainer did go over the sanitizing process with us before hand, but i had prepared myself before hand. for liquid products pour into a petri dish. cream products scoop out some with a spatula and put in a petri dish. powder products wipe with a tissue. lipgloss use a lip wand and do not double dip. mascara use a wand and do not double dip. make sure to clean your hands with the hand gel they should provide. they should provide all these things for you.

is the MA standing over my shoulder or just checking up on me?

this just depends on your counter. at both of the demos i went to no one was standing over me the entire time. they would periodically walk by or stand by me for a couple of minutes to see what i was doing. make sure you are talking and explaining to your model then entire time. they like to see that you can educate the customer on the product and application as well as apply the makeup.

they will be choosing a scenario for me when i get there...do they pick out the products they want me to use or do I choose stuff myself?

at the first demo i went to i was given a face chart and told to copy it. if you can't find the exact colors just pick colors that are similar. they should show you where everything is and you will then pick out the products you want to use. i was then told to turn that look into a night look. at the second demo i was told to do any look i wanted, make it simple and to take as much time as i needed. so i guess it just depends.

depending of course on the look, are false eyelashes a must?(I've never done this on anyone but myself)

i didn't have to apply false lashes at either demo, and i haven't heard of anyone who has. it would be nice if you wore them, just to show that you know how to apply them.

lip liner?...I don't use it so this part scares me because I've never even applied it on myself.

i did apply lipliner at both of my demos just b/c i use it and it helps to show your knowledge of the products. if you don't use lipliner you may want to practice a bit on your model if you already have one or on yourself. i don't think it's a must though. you basically are just following the line of your lips, you can then smudge the lipliner with a q-tip or your finger so that it blends in and then apply your lipstick or gloss or both.

HTH and Good Luck!!
smiles.gif

Latest posts