Racism in cosmetics company ads/products?

deven.marie

I'm doing a term paper for a class about racism, and my professor told us to take racism and relate it to something we are interested in, so of course i chose makeup and beauty
greengrin.gif

Anywho, have you ever noticed racism in cosmetic ads or products? Such as companies who do not use any women of color in their ads, or indicate that beauty is having fair skin, hair, and eyes?

Also have you noticed any companies that only produce products (such as foundations) for women with lighter skin tones?

I've been doing some research and I did find some interesting articles, but I just wanted to get other's opinions as well.

Any examples will be appreciated!
smiles.gif

jaclynashley

From what I've noticed Physicians Formula's Mineral Foundation doesn't come in a very wide of colors.
Sorry if I'm not much help but I thought I'd mention it.
Good luck though!
smiles.gif

GreekChick

I've noticed all the Lancome ads always feature a white woman. I have yet to see someone of another race model for their skincare promotional pictures.

darkwater_soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven.marie
I'm doing a term paper for a class about racism, and my professor told us to take racism and relate it to something we are interested in, so of course i chose makeup and beauty
greengrin.gif

Anywho, have you ever noticed racism in cosmetic ads or products? Such as companies who do not use any women of color in their ads, or indicate that beauty is having fair skin, hair, and eyes?

Also have you noticed any companies that only produce products (such as foundations) for women with lighter skin tones?

I've been doing some research and I did find some interesting articles, but I just wanted to get other's opinions as well.

Any examples will be appreciated!
smiles.gif

To play devil's advocate... a lot of companies who start off with darker tones of foundation later on end up having to axe them because they don't sell... I'll be completely honest here too, I've been in highend retail cosmetics for a number of different lines for about 6 years now... I've only color matched in foundations or powders maybe less than 45 or 50 people who would be considered darker than NC or NW 40.

nibjet

the whole Beyonce/L'oreal controversy was the first thing that came to mind for me.

Also, you never see really dark models used, and off the top of my head I can't think of any ads with Asian models either.

edit: just googled the Asian model thing, and found a site with tons of pics, one of the big complaints was that when the US uses Asian models they either make them look like geisha girls or like they had black eyes.

deven.marie

i also noticed lancome usually features white models, for their mascara ads and whatnot.

I did see a couple articles about the beyonce thing too, im gonna include that in my paper.

nibjet thanks for bringing up the absence of asian models, I think that would be a really good topic for me to discuss.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaclynashley
From what I've noticed Physicians Formula's Mineral Foundation doesn't come in a very wide of colors.
Sorry if I'm not much help but I thought I'd mention it.
Good luck though!
smiles.gif

no - they don't cater to the uber-pale girls among us either.

if a brand doesn't have a heap going on in the darker end of the spectrum, i'd say look at it on the paler end as well. many pale girls have just as much trouble finding good foundation as darker skinned women. it's interesting to note that the colour discrimination seems to go both ways in terms of foundation shades.

florabundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
it's interesting to note that the colour discrimination seems to go both ways in terms of foundation shades.

Nicola Roberts (member of british girlband Girls Aloud) actually did a TV show based on this. Each member of the band had to pursue a sideline dream of theirs and hers was to create a cosmetics line that suited uber-pale girls, and she talked about how much she hated how pale her skin was, and was constantly trying to tan. It was actually kind of sad...
but yeah that would be good for the paper too, to show every angle of the problem.

YouTube - Nicola Roberts - Passions Of Girls Aloud (Part 1/5)

SonRisa

Quote:

Just a friendly reminder that racism doesnt solely apply to darker skinned women. A LOT of people have complained that most MU lines dont offer foundation or concealer light enough. Sometimes my NW15 concealer is too dark for me (depending on the time of year).

Another thing to explore might be the fact that there's various lines that are geared towards women of color, who never offer light shades of foundation. For instance, there's one drugstore line (cant remember the name, it may be black opal or something) that offers bright colored shadows and lipstick that are rich in pigment. Let's just say that I happen to really like their product, the way it's made, the quality etc etc But yet they dont offer a foundation shade for me. All I'm saying is that it goes both ways...
winks.gif

PLUS, I cant tell you how many times Indian women had problems at the counter getting a concealer or foundation that had enough of a yellow undertone to match their skin.

Beauty Mark

Is it considered racism, though, if they don't make foundation light enough for white women? I'm not saying that it isn't a problem (because it is), but another word is probably needed. The incredibly pale I believe are considered the same race as other slightly darker women. AFAIK, race is attributed to a lot of things. Skin color factors in, but it isn't the only thing. For instance, with Asians, another indicator of race are the eye shape and typically, a flatter nose.

I think the most blatant example recently is that Bollywood actress. The way Loreal redid the photo I thought she was a white woman. I was really surprised when I saw the ad and then saw regular photos of her

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Is it considered racism, though, if they don't make foundation light enough for white women? I'm not saying that it isn't a problem (because it is), but another word is probably needed. The incredibly pale I believe are considered the same race as other slightly darker women. AFAIK, race is attributed to a lot of things. Skin color factors in, but it isn't the only thing. For instance, with Asians, another indicator of race are the eye shape and typically, a flatter nose.

I think the most blatant example recently is that Bollywood actress. The way Loreal redid the photo I thought she was a white woman. I was really surprised when I saw the ad and then saw regular photos of her

There are typically caucasian features too, though.

And, if it can't be considered racism for the lighter end of the spectrum, it certainly can't be considered racism for the darker (speaking only of foundations), IMO.

lilMAClady

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater_soul
To play devil's advocate... a lot of companies who start off with darker tones of foundation later on end up having to axe them because they don't sell... I'll be completely honest here too, I've been in highend retail cosmetics for a number of different lines for about 6 years now... I've only color matched in foundations or powders maybe less than 45 or 50 people who would be considered darker than NC or NW 40.

True. But understand this. Women of color are not very trusting of these high end lines with our skin. They don't specialze in our skin tones and their problems and people aren't just going to run up just because you have 3 or 4 bottles of 'dark' foundation sitting out. It may be the right color (usually it isn't by a longgg shot) but you have to know how to apply it, (not all over the face because alot of women need two shades or just one in certain places) and undersand the varying tones. Alot of MA's in my expirience don't know this and it can be very hard for women of color to find foundation, even if they do because the color may not exist. My mother has to have hers custom made.

GreekChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I don't think it's racist not to offer shades for all skin tones...that's stretching it a bit far. Different companies cater to different market groups.

Although, the Fair & Lovely skincream ads from India are just straight up prejudiced.

YouTube - Fair and Lovely Skin Cream Ad (in English)

YouTube - Fair & Lovely Ad - India

YouTube - Fair N Lovely

YouTube - fair and lovely

Those creams target an asian demographic. In most asian countries, the ideal is having fair skin and "western" features. Women actually search for products like these in order to lighten their skin.
It's similar to the exclusive Lightful range MAC released a while back in Asia (the only difference being that the MAC product didn't claim to lighten one's skin, but to give it more of a glow, more of a luminosity).

ShugAvery2001

Quote:
greengrin.gif

There's really nothing you can talk about regarding racism and cosmetics at least not in the context of 2008. Not making a large range of foundations is not an example of racism today, it's more an example of serving your niche demographic.
Now of course this hasn't always been the case in this country. You could alway refer to history and focus on companies like Fashion Fair who became successful due to racism attitudes in cosmetics in beauty and fashion. Fashion Fair was launched in 1973 and at that time, there weren't many cosmetic options for women of beauty and at the time you wouldn't see many woc on the runway either. Fashion Fair was a pioneer in both those areas! If I were you I'd focus on that. Unless you want to talk about the demographics of a cosmetic companies executive board or have some knowledge of some highly controversial memo sent out talking about women of color.
Today really, it's much to do about nothing (at least in that area). There are so many niche lines for woc and also mainstream lines that serve women of color. Fashion Fair is still around and there are other niche product lines for woc like Iman. WOC have so many options today.

Also, you see how what happens when you start throwing around the 'R' word and then referencing shades of foundation ... you learn that just like there is no NC 60, THERE IS NO NC 1 and people get defensive.

There is racism against people of color today, I'm in chicago and a middle eastern girl was attacked at Elmhurst college because she's an arab muslim. Alot of people hold irrational biases against people of color and would hire them for a job but a promotion, faggettaboutit! Racism and it's a very serious thing. Make sure you understand what it is.

ShugAvery2001

See even this has to due with hiring practices

You're worth it - if white. L'OrÃal guilty of racism | World news | The Guardian

"Part of the cosmetics giant L'Oréal was yesterday found guilty of racial discrimination after it sought to exclude non-white women from promoting its shampoo.
In a landmark case, the Garnier division of the beauty empire, along with a recruitment agency it employed, were fined €30,000 (£20,300) each after they recruited women on the basis of race. The historic ruling - the first time a major company has been found guilty of systematic race discrimination in France - saw a senior figure at the agency given a three-month suspended prison sentence."

florabundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugAvery2001
There's really nothing you can talk about regarding racism and cosmetics at least not in the context of 2008.

Today really, it's much to do about nothing (at least in that area). There are so many niche lines for woc and also mainstream lines that serve women of color. Fashion Fair is still around and there are other niche product lines for woc like Iman. WOC have so many options today.

Also, you see how what happens when you start throwing around the 'R' word and then referencing shades of foundation ... you learn that just like there is no NC 60, THERE IS NO NC 1 and people get defensive.

Racism and it's a very serious thing. Make sure you understand what it is.

I think the extent to which L'Oreal photoshopped the shade of Beyonce's skin is an example of racism. Photoshopping the photographs of models is intended to remove their imperfections....so, to me, that advert implies that Beyonce's natural shade is an imperfection.

ShugAvery2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabundance
I think the extent to which L'Oreal photoshopped the shade of Beyonce's skin is an example of racism. Photoshopping the photographs of models is intended to remove their imperfections....so, to me, that advert implies that Beyonce's natural shade is an imperfection.

I don't know why they paled her out like that. Apparently someone else on this thread mentioned, the same thing was done to a Bollywood actress. I'm not quite sure that purpetuating a certain standard of beauty is automatically considered overt racism though. Even in the African American community, there is color/shade bias/preferences. It's tricky to really know the intent behind the action. I'm just saying. Bey has done a lot of ads for L'Oreal. Does L'Oreal do this all the time with her?
Racism is such a sensitive issue, it's best to approach it logically and really think about it before hurling charges.

ClaireAvril

A lot of the drugstorelines do not carry a range of colours .. thats why I started going to MAC.. that is why a lot of people who say MAC is too expensive will go there just to get their foundation..
I don't know if its racism.. but its definitely annoying.. and when i go to shoppers drug mart and see the new line of foundation from Covergirl or whatever it may be I want to knock everything over and go crazy in the store. These companies don't feel as though people of colour exist.. there's only 1 shade of us..