Random WOC Makeup Thoughts

Shars

I believe this has been discussed before. But why is EVERY black woman nc45?!? When I was working with the MUA artist I just mentioned he, of course, put me in nc 45 studio fix. I went with it and wore it the next day and I was sooo orange. I decided I wanted to swatch all the studio fix's against my cheek to see which one is better. The other MUA who is probably as dark as Style Beauty Dr. Said she was nc 45. HOW? We are totally different shades. How is this supposed to work for me and you. After playing around with the Studio fix shades and MSFN (they always put me in dark, or dark tan in that one) I think I like c6 and nc43. In MSFN I liked Med tan and Dark Golden. In studio fix I swatched c40, c5, c6, c7, c8, nc43, and nc 45. I knew C40 and c5 would be too light, c8 was the perfect golden brown (not a lot of orange) but too dark. C7 was a light orange. C6 was golden, and nc43 golden light orange. I'm really surprised how good Med Tan and Dark Golden look, if I'm supposed to be nc45. I understand it is probably hard matching WOC. I don't know my undertones and I've been told they were Golden (wtf is that anyway, yellow? LOL), Pink (oh come on!), and then I was told I had everything (side eye). I actually think the pink is in my cheeks b/c of Rosacea. I was in Ulta and wanted to pull the Indian girl at the check out aside. She had the most beautiful golden dark brown skin (olive?) and had on a foundation that matched color wise, but the undetone was pink. PINK. Totally washed her out and took away from the gorgeous tones in her skin.
So yeah, how can everyone be nc45.
On another note, I went to Sephora, the MUA had the prettiest complexion. She was golden like me so I was like, OMG what do you use. YSL Touche Eclat Foundation in bd60. Forgot all about that foundation. Picked up a sample and it . It worked.
I go through this every season, trying to find the perfect foundation and concealer. I think it will alwasy be my quest.
The MAC MUA, did show me a cool trick for concealer. He used Select Cover up (why have I never used this, I think I love it) in nc50 to cover my dark circles and then put nc 42 on top to brighten. LOVED it. Worked much better than an orange or peach correcter topped with nc 45 or similiar shade of concealer.

Oh and another thing, I read that Tracee Ellis Ross is Golden in Bobbi Brown... um no, If I'm golden you can't be Golden. Is Golden the NC45 of Bobbi Brown? LOL

OMG!! You crack me up! I thought the universal WOC shades were NC50 or NW45 lol. The amount of times I've seen girls say they were NW45 and I've sat there thinking No, you freaking aren't!! I hope the YSL one continues to work for you!!

Shars

OK, it's been quiet in the Beauty of Color forum lately, but I just wanted to come in here and wish everyone Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Also, on topic, I have to come somewhere and share this...I was browsing around in a SiJCP near me today and a really nice SA came and offered to help. Not the passing, are you finding everything ok and not breaking stride kinda help, but stopped and asked if she could help me find a MUFE e/s since I seemed to be looking for some. I was. I wasn't wearing my glasses and I could NOT see the item I was looking for. Anyway, it turns out it wasn't there - it was in the drawer beneath and when she opened that drawer y'all I saw a FREAKING MUFE No. 92, sitting there, beaming its purple goodness to my eyes. I very nicely inquired about it and when she put her hands on it, she knew. I demanded to be allowed to take it home while dancing around the bay (yes, I really danced). She quickly picked up the other older MUFE shadows down there and put them in my basket (one a neutral and the other a shade very similar to a shade I was looking for that they did NOT have in stock). When we got up to the registers they wouldn't scan so she took out her old code book (why don't others know to do this?) and typed in a code and they came out to $7 each. WOW. She did my exchange and new purchase in one transaction and did not mess up my other MUFE discount with the 3/$44 deal. I know this was her job, but this is so rarely my experience nowadays. She was so kind to let me browse in the drawer and find the shadow I came in looking for and just managed my purchase with NO drama. This was great. I asked her if she would be my go-to person, as in can I call there and ASK FOR YOU? I hate cold calling - you totally cannot trust info you get that way. People will say anything to get you off the phone.

How awesome!! I'm happy you had such a great experience!! I love when people love their job and the good service just genuinely oozes out of them!

sagehen

For those of you who love the UD Naked palette (the first one), could you recommend some color combos and placements? I am trying to decide whether to keep this palette.

sagehen

Uhhhh....Ummm... I rarely use it. Matter of fact the last time I used it was NYEve last year. LOL
OK today I made myself wear it and I have Smog on the lid, Buck in the crease and a teeeeeny little bit of Virgin as a brow highlight. I will stay in my emergency bag, and I will use the shades I mentioned plus the right half of the palette, but when that's too far gone it's history for this palette.

fur4elise

For those of you who love the UD Naked palette (the first one), could you recommend some color combos and placements? I am trying to decide whether to keep this palette.

I used the heck out of mine when it first released! I actually reach for Naked over Naked II. And I use Naked III the most. I won't part with it coz it does get use. If I do it's just another excuse to buy another neutral palette...a girl could have worse problems! ;)

p.s. I use my Naked in combo with mattes to tone down the shimmer from my Tarte Bon Voyage palette. Any matte palette in the same color family (bronze/gold) would work.

p.s.s I leave for Mexico this morning & after reading this packed the Naked to give it some love while on honeymoon ;)

Last edited:

Prettypackages

OK today I made myself wear it and I have Smog on the lid, Buck in the crease and a teeeeeny little bit of Virgin as a brow highlight. I will stay in my emergency bag, and I will use the shades I mentioned plus the right half of the palette, but when that's too far gone it's history for this palette.
sounds nice. I know I won't rebuy it. I'm considering the smoky palette though. Part of me wants all of them, but I wasn't impressed with 2 and 3.

sagehen

sounds nice. I know I won't rebuy it. I'm considering the smoky palette though. Part of me wants all of them, but I wasn't impressed with 2 and 3.
I like the Smoky palette. There are a few surprising shades in it. Naked 2 and 3 are so much better on me. Aren't you an NC too?

Prettypackages

Yes I am. I didn't care for 3 b/c I thought most of the shades were similar to each other. I need another Sephora coupon/credit. LOL I now want all of the chocolate palettes too. I cannot remember how I felt about naked 2.
I like the Smoky palette. There are a few surprising shades in it. Naked 2 and 3 are so much better on me. Aren't you an NC too?

pinkcrush

Just a WOC heads up that the new Smashbox Be Legendary lipstick in Unzipped Matte is a WOC must have if u r a lover of red lipstick!!! It is a deep blue-based red and it is as pigmented and creamy as it can get... I found it at Sephora inside my local JCP. They didn't have all the new shades, a few were sold out, and a few I had several dupes of. I think I have found my new signature red however,seriously!!!

sagehen

Just a WOC heads up that the new Smashbox Be Legendary lipstick in Unzipped Matte is a WOC must have if u r a lover of red lipstick!!! It is a deep blue-based red and it is as pigmented and creamy as it can get... I found it at Sephora inside my local JCP. They didn't have all the new shades, a few were sold out, and a few I had several dupes of. I think I have found my new signature red however,seriously!!!

enabler!!!! I will look for that one when I look for Punked...

sagehen

Thanks for this rec! I bought and love Unzipped. It is going to be my always-in-the-bag red so if I have no idea what to wear it will be Unzipped. I also got Bing too, which is such a nice, bright red.

sagehen

what else do yo u have in this bag?
Nothing special - I have a black and a brown eyeliner, mascara, the Naked palette and 1 darker matte e/s for definition or brows, a brow pencil, and three or 4 lipsticks. Smashbox Unzipped will replace Iman Red. Just in case I get caught unaware or need to touch up for some reason.

Prettypackages

gotcha. I keep my bag in the car. Where do you keep yours? Just curious.
Nothing special - I have a black and a brown eyeliner, mascara, the Naked palette and 1 darker matte e/s for definition or brows, a brow pencil, and three or 4 lipsticks. Smashbox Unzipped will replace Iman Red. Just in case I get caught unaware or need to touch up for some reason.

sagehen

I keep mine either in my desk or in my bag that I carry my lunch, spare shoes, etc in. It would melt in my car in the summer so I don't want to get in the habit of leaving it there. Ask my poor NYX lipsticks how hot it gets in my car lol
gotcha. I keep my bag in the car. Where do you keep yours? Just curious.

Latest posts