rant about double standards! don't mind me! lol

DanaB

i am a smoker. why is it that people can make smart comments to me about smoking ("that's not good for you, you know") but if i comment back it would be construed as rude?

i am also painfully thin. not by my own doing either. i have just always been skinny. all of my life i've gotten ignorant comments. like, "why are you so thin? don't you eat?" but i can't say "why are you so fat? why don't you stop eating?" why? because it's mean. so why is it okay to comment on my weight in a negative way? just because i am skinny, that doesn't mean that i'm happy about it. people of all body types have issues with it. when people say "i like having curves. makes me feel like a real woman", it's offensive to me. i'm thin so i don't have big boobs, or hips. so then i'm not a real woman?

this obviously isn't towards anyone on here. all the people on this site are incredibly respectful and complimentary to everyone! i love it. i was just outside today and an fat woman said that "smoking is not good for you, you know." i didn't say "neither is stuffing your face with that big mac" like i wanted to! lol. why? because i practice this little known thing called restraint, and tact. it's just rude to comment to total strangers about something that is none of your business!

ahhhhhh! i need a drink!

thanks for allowing me to vent!!

browneyedbaby

People should never comment on your size, unless that's what you're there for i.e seeing a doctor or whatever. It's plain rude.

Smoking in public bugs me cos I can't bear smoke and it's detrimental to the health of the innocent by-standers. That said I have nothing againist people who choose to smoke and would certainly never say anything about it a stranger. Only to friends in certain circumstances.

Bah, do your best to ignore 'em.

d_flawless

"like, 'why are you so thin? don't you eat?" but i can't say "why are you so fat? why don't you stop eating?' "

now that you bring it up, i would totally say that if someone said that me. seriously, if that's how you feel.

my only grip with smokers is people who act like they're super healthy and yet they smoke a pack a day. "oh, i'm a vegetarian and i don't eat meat because it's bad for you and i want to save the animals" and yeah, they're lighting up...i dunno, it's just like, what about your own health, you know?

Jaim

I don't think it's okay for people to say things like that! People stink, just keep your thoughts to yourself like you already do and know that you're the bigger person in the end for not making others feel bad even when they do it to you.

as_cute_as_pie

ahh
i get them comments i dont smoke yet i am a little small for my size
i am also quite tall as im full of people in my year who are super small i dont really consider me as 5"8 as tall IMO
people say all the time stuff like argh your so small and 'theres nothing on you'
yet i have big boobs
th_confused_new.gif

ignore them
smiles.gif

it would be considered rude to answer back and people would be like *shock* you cant say that!
yet why can they say stuff to you?
if someone said something nasty to you about being 'slim' and you commented about them being overweight it would be considered wrong
what REALLY annoys me is when people say your anorexic which is so not true, they see it was being super skinny yet however you can be normal size and be anorexic as you have a problem about how you see yourself
so ignorant
i have a super short temper though people make comments i either say extremely nasty stuff or roll my eyes
smiles.gif

akstarr81

I know what you guys mean. I am "petite" I guess, but I'm not anywhere near being a stick or anything. I have huge legs and a total ghetto booty but have a relatively small waist and no boobs and my arms are small (compared to my legs anyway). But I've totally had people tell me I'm too skinny and to eat; it's usually people who are overweight though, which I think is funny. Like if I gain weight it'll make them feel skinnier or something.

The worst thing is that I'm very cold-blooded and I've had TONS of people over the years tell me that if I "put some meat on my bones" I wouldn't be so cold all the time. Oh, so then I'd be overweight and overheated all the time. Like that's a good option.

People are idiots.

I think I got a little off track there, but oh well, it was fun.

lemurian

There is no excuse for commenting on another person's looks, EVER. In my experience, those whom direct such comments towards the unusually thin are simply jealous.

However, I think if you're going to do something so disgusting and disrespectful as smoking in public, you ought to expect some comments
winks.gif
If it weren't unhealthy and unpleasant for those around you, that'd be one thing, but some of us spend a lot of time trying to dodge smokers, and it just doesn't seem fair! I'm all for people smoking in their homes, cars or in the great outdoors (not at a crowded bus stop, however).. I think there should be rules applied to smoking just as there are other personal activities, for instance: if you wouldn't have sex there, don't smoke there. Hehe.

I hope I don't appear to be hijacking someone elses thread with my own personal rant...! (sorry)

Pushpa

preach....i totally agree

i hate when ppl just offer their opinions without being asked.... i laughed at your post

i get 'you wear so much mu i like the natural look' all the time @ school like i care if they like to look natural when i want to look natural i don't wear anything hahahaha

akstarr81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushpa
preach....i totally agree

i hate when ppl just offer their opinions without being asked.... i laughed at your post

i get 'you wear so much mu i like the natural look' all the time @ school like i care if they like to look natural when i want to look natural i don't wear anything hahahaha

I know, if I wanted to look natural I'd look natural. I wear color for a reason, hello!!

Usually though it's only my mom that complains about my makeup, and I can't do much about that...

YvetteJeannine

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_flawless
"like, 'why are you so thin? don't you eat?" but i can't say "why are you so fat? why don't you stop eating?' "

now that you bring it up, i would totally say that if someone said that me. seriously, if that's how you feel.

My only gripe with smokers is people who act like they're super healthy and yet they smoke a pack a day. "oh, i'm a vegetarian and i don't eat meat because it's bad for you and i want to save the animals" and yeah, they're lighting up...i dunno, it's just like, what about your own health, you know?

Not eating meat because it's "bad" for you, and not eating it because one doesn't want to be a part of the slaughterhouse cruelty are two diff. things. I'm a Vegetarian..have been since I was 13..but I've NEVER once said I chose this lifestyle because it's "healthier" for me (whether it is or not is a moot point).
smiles.gif

What I'm trying to say here, is that if somebody is a Veg. because they don't want to eat animals, and they smoke..there's no double-standard. But, yeah...if they're a Veg. because they think it's healthier for them, YET they smoke...that is kinda' a double-standard.
greengrin.gif

joytheobscure

I used to get those "skinny" comments, well even this year, and I certainly don't feel little, even though I am smaller than a lot of people. I miss those comments now that I'm approaching average. Where I live if you're super skinny people will think you're on meth or something... I agree that you cant' make fat comments back, but when you are insecure about yourself its hard being around people who really are struggling with their own weight issues and they are just jealous that you are so much smaller.

As far as smoking goes, I hated my one trip to LA where it was so smoggy you couldn't see far ahead of you, and California makes such a huge deal about healthy living and I've never been in a place with dirtier air. My Dr. comments about my husband smoking, and what is odd is my bad asthma days aren't the days when he's home, its the days when the news says its an air quality alert day. Thats what bothers me not cigarette smoke.

BTW, my SIL is a big hypocrite who thinks smoking pot is fine but gives my hubby a hard time about smoking something LEGAL... he smokes more in front of her on purpose when he's around her, lol... Just because she cant' make him do what she says*like she does her husband and anyone else around her. I'm passive aggressive too, so that is my way of dealing with people.

Raerae

OMG lol...

I get weight comments all the time. So I totally know how you feel. When i went out to eat for the first time with some people from work, and we ordered, the guy who came with us was like, "I bet she doesn't order anything other than that salad."

I'm 5'6" and range between like 105-110. I've always been like this, i'm 24, and my drivers license from when I was 16 says that same height and weight. It's not my fault i'm a size 0. I wish I wasn't. I would kill for some hips, and a cup size larger and an A.

The guy who commented on my salad (I also ordered a plate of calamari that day lol), he also calls me, "Twig" instead of my name. It's SO annoying.

mac_goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurian
I think there should be rules applied to smoking just as there are other personal activities, for instance: if you wouldn't have sex there, don't smoke there. Hehe.

lol, this made me laugh. Thing is, there ARE people who would have sex anywhere and everywhere, including in front of complete strangers.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_goddess
lol, this made me laugh. Thing is, there ARE people who would have sex anywhere and everywhere, including in front of complete strangers.

I highly recommend the beach if you haven't tried it =P Just be ready to get dressed in a hurry if someone see's/hears you and decides to call the police LOL!

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_goddess

Ummm yeah. I accidentally stumbled across a couple doing this whilst on vacation in Spain. They turned a lovely day at the beach into something so very ewwwww. It was not a pretty site. Maybe it would have been different if they had been attractive!
lol.gif

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
Ummm yeah. I accidentally stumbled across a couple doing this whilst on vacation in Spain. They turned a lovely day at the beach into something so very ewwwww. It was not a pretty site. Maybe it would have been different if they had been attractive!
lol.gif

lol i doubt it... I think it's only fun for the people involved lol... Getting caught, or the chance of getting caught is part of the excitement
winks.gif

But lol at European Beaches... I remember my first time in the french riviera, and was amazed at the number of hairy fat itallian men in spedo's LOL... That and topless grandma's LOL...

litlaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
OMG lol...

I get weight comments all the time. So I totally know how you feel. When i went out to eat for the first time with some people from work, and we ordered, the guy who came with us was like, "I bet she doesn't order anything other than that salad."

I'm 5'6" and range between like 105-110. I've always been like this, i'm 24, and my drivers license from when I was 16 says that same height and weight. It's not my fault i'm a size 0. I wish I wasn't. I would kill for some hips, and a cup size larger and an A.

The guy who commented on my salad (I also ordered a plate of calamari that day lol), he also calls me, "Twig" instead of my name. It's SO annoying.

So what if you had gotten just a salad, who is he to judge you? Some people like salads, and they're often enough for a full meal. And people don't realize that the amount of food you usually get at a restaurant is much more than you need for one meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaB
just because i am skinny, that doesn't mean that i'm happy about it. people of all body types have issues with it.

I'm also naturally thin, and I'm pretty happy with my body. Even though I am happy with my body, I shouldn't feel bad that others aren't...and I don't.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlaur
So what if you had gotten just a salad, who is he to judge you? Some people like salads, and they're often enough for a full meal. And people don't realize that the amount of food you usually get at a restaurant is much more than you need for one meal.

This wasn't a dinner salad, was just the teeny tiny little green salad that comes free with your meal. You know, the ones with the single cherry tomatoe, some shaved carrots, and ice burg lettuce lol... But his comments are par for the course when it comes to dealing with people around food.

Same thing happened again at a picnic for a friends job last weekend. They had a free buffett, and they were serving food I had 0 interest in eating. I just wasn't hungry (plus red meat and hotdogs are gross). The lady who was serving offered me like every item on the menu telling me I needed to eat, and there must be something here I liked. If your thin, people just have this desire to try to get you to eat, or comment about what you are or aren't eating.

And I totally agree that restaraunts over feed people... I never grew up with the mentality that I had to clear my plate heh, i detest feeling full. I'd rather snack on tiny little meals all day, than stuff myself 3 times a day becsue it's on my plate.

dollbabybex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushpa

oh i get that and i always say well with ten tons of black eyeliner and pink lipstick im obv not goin for that look!

also whats the point of wearing it, if you cant even tell you have it on!

another thing a girl did in work was... i was reached up to get a folder, and she went 'eurgh look at your hip bones poking thru... its disgusting'

but like you said i couldve snapped back a bitchy comment like, at least im slim etc etc but you cant can you?

Latest posts