[rant] college stuff

jenNpaci

I attend a really small private catholic school close to home *within 30 miles* of my small town, less than 30,000 people. The city I live in right now is roughly 700,000. Anyways every single time I go home for break people assume I decided to drop out? umm..hello? its called visiting home. Also many of the parents of the top ten kids I went to school with pity me because I go to school so close to home. They think its like some community college (no offense anyone) and assume I couldn't get into a BIG state university.

Even though I tell people over and over again, they don't understand WHY I CHOSE to come to my school.

Also, even though my school is newish and small we have to take 16+ credits per semester. I know biology majors at these BIG state schools which are only required to take 12 credits and thats going full time. Their lab times are also 1 hour instead of the mandatory 3 that we have at my university. Despite earning B's & occasional C's I know if I attended an easier school I would get A's. I DON'T WANT A's, I want to be challenged. I want to KNOW that I worked really hard for my degree and that I am learning something MORE than just biology. For example, my school has a liberal arts core program meaning that I have to take 2 years of philosophy, 2 years of theology, and 2 years of Latin in order to graduate. I feel that I am truly getting a better education but I'm also annoyed because everyone thinks I'm some slacker.

I guess I am really upset because these are my mom's "FRIENDS" and she always has to defend me and my school...I really wish they could see that my school is beyond what they think it is.

I'm not saying this to be snotty, it merely is the truth and I'm really happy here.

My sister didn't want to deal with being so close to home so she said she was going to a "real" school. I'm sort of jealous because of all the left over scholarship $$$ she'll get. My school is $30,000+ per year and her school is roughly 6,000. I had over $80,000 in scholarship money but its all gone towards my tuition.

yea anyways..haha sorry for the long rant....i was annoyed because the BF's guy friends came home from their BIG state school and were picking at me. The BF defended me because they were picking at him too for going to art school..some friends...they don't understand he's going to the best art school in Florida.

so yes..good night everyone! or morning =X

gabi1129

dont stress! i decided to go to a closer to home private catholic university too! they school is a lot better than the bigger state schools, and we def get a challenge! w/ the bigger schools, at least here in illinois, its all about partying. and ive had a few people talk smack about me after graduating highschool. two years later. im doin great, and they have dropped out! dont worry you'll be find and just forget the haterz!

Beauty Mark

Well, firstly, college is what you make of it. Liberal arts schools can be as challenging as state schools as community colleges as Ivy Leagues. Some of the most brilliant people I know went to community colleges and some of the dumbest people I know went to Ivy Leagues or the equivalent.

Credit number doesn't mean jack; I think UPenn or a similar school makes every class equal 1 credit unit, but it's equiv to 3 any other school; I was on both 3 credit/class system and 4 credit/class system (transfer student) at both a large private and a small, highly regard liberal arts college; they're not that different. Plus there's the quarter system. I'm sorry to get on your case, but it seems like you're bragging about your school and I have no clue what people's educational backgrounds are here. Being insulting to someone else's school isn't the way.

I don't know how you're approaching this with people, but I would keep answers short and not be overly defensive. Something like "This college best suited my personal needs and interests." I find that people who aren't really happy or are insecure with their situations in college go into the propaganda that the college admissions office produces when defending the school. I think other people see that too, and it makes you so much easier to target; I went to a single sex college, so people were dumb about that. If you approach it like you don't give a damn, it'll generally be better.

giz2000

Don't worry...you just do what you need to do...the best thing in this situation is to let it go in one ear and out the other...btw...what art school does your BF go to??

liquidstar

Which school do you go to? I noticed your post about the CCO in Estero..I used to go to FGCU!
smiles.gif

I don't think you necessarily get a better education at a big university, I prefer a smaller one actually, when I went to FGCU (2003-2005) it was a bit smaller which I liked. I go to UCF now and with 40,000 students it's annoying to try and get into classes and have to sit in a class with 500 people. And in smaller schools you can actually form relationships with your professors that can possibly lead you to a future career...I've only met 1 of my teachers at UCF..lol and that was because it was a lab.

I don't think it's so much the school that will get you a job, but the people you meet and the experience that you get that will lead to a good job in the future..and that's much easier in a smaller school.

Latest posts