"Rare!" not...

stingray

I find it so annoying when eBay sellers claim their e/s's are "rare" as if they've been discontinued or something when they're still available to buy at MAC counters or online (at least in the UK they are).

I can only imagine that the sellers think that putting "rare" in their item title and description is going to make some buyers buy it thinking it really is rare. It also makes me wonder if the sellers themselves don't bother checking MAC online to see just how "rare" their shadow is.

Or are these sellers, using what I'd describe as a misleading "con" description, perhaps more likely to be ones selling fake shadows?

rockin

You've got a very good point there.

I've noticed that, of those that call every one of their eyeshadows rare, it does seem that they are selling all the colours which are known to be faked.

julie150463

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin
You've got a very good point there.

I've noticed that, of those that call every one of their eyeshadows rare, it does seem that they are selling all the colours which are known to be faked.

Hmm so rare that every other seller on ebay has them! I always check the MAC site - I usually gasp at the spectrum of shadows they actually do. Rare does sort of suggest fake - if they're that rare then why can sellers churn them out by the bucket load? Perhaps they think people have nothing to compare them too....

rockin

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie150463
Hmm so rare that every other seller on ebay has them! I always check the MAC site - I usually gasp at the spectrum of shadows they actually do. Rare does sort of suggest fake - if they're that rare then why can sellers churn them out by the bucket load? Perhaps they think people have nothing to compare them too....

Yep, so rare that they have just '10 available' and so does every other MAC seller LOL

TamEva Le Fay

I especially find it annoying when they refer to PRO STORE Pigments. Some people don't even know what a PRO STORE is.

Again, did anyone see that Nocturnal Plum Piggie go for $100 not including shipping sold by bananas0077 on Feb. 28....anybody???!!!???
th_dunno.gif

...a Pro Store Piggie - still in stock!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
thud.gif

rockin

I didn't see it, but that's incredible! Could be the work of auction-wreckers, of course?

TamEva Le Fay

Quote:
I didn't see it, but that's incredible! Could be the work of auction-wreckers, of course?

Hmmmmmm? Really? Something weird must have happened. I thought my computer was playing tricks on me.
That never really occured to me.
ssad.gif
Hope it's O.K. to post this here?!?
This was the Bidding History:

radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $100.00Feb-28-08 14:50:05 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
m***e
s.gif
( 1 ) US $99.00Feb-23-08 07:16:49 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
s.gif
US $75.00Feb-28-08 14:11:03 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $52.01Feb-28-08 14:10:17 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $50.00Feb-28-08 14:10:01 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $45.00Feb-28-08 14:08:56 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $40.00Feb-28-08 14:08:43 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $32.00Feb-28-08 14:08:15 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $30.00Feb-28-08 14:07:59 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $25.00Feb-28-08 14:07:43 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $21.00Feb-28-08 14:05:44 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $19.50Feb-28-08 14:05:25 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
0***0
s.gif
( 168
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $17.99Feb-28-08 01:25:33 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
p***d
s.gif
( 61
iconBlueStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $5.75Feb-23-08 22:37:38 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
e***a
s.gif
( 429
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $2.00Feb-23-08 07:47:01 PST

Jade1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamEva Le Fay
Hmmmmmm? Really? Something weird must have happened. I thought my computer was playing tricks on me.
That never really occured to me.
ssad.gif
Hope it's O.K. to post this here?!?
This was the Bidding History:

radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $100.00Feb-28-08 14:50:05 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
m***e
s.gif
( 1 ) US $99.00Feb-23-08 07:16:49 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
s.gif
US $75.00Feb-28-08 14:11:03 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $52.01Feb-28-08 14:10:17 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $50.00Feb-28-08 14:10:01 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $45.00Feb-28-08 14:08:56 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $40.00Feb-28-08 14:08:43 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $32.00Feb-28-08 14:08:15 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $30.00Feb-28-08 14:07:59 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $25.00Feb-28-08 14:07:43 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $21.00Feb-28-08 14:05:44 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
radiantfire
s.gif
( 18
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $19.50Feb-28-08 14:05:25 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
0***0
s.gif
( 168
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $17.99Feb-28-08 01:25:33 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
p***d
s.gif
( 61
iconBlueStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $5.75Feb-23-08 22:37:38 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
e***a
s.gif
( 429
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif
US $2.00Feb-23-08 07:47:01 PST

Those are all shill bidders. so many items on ebay are bid on by the "e***e" clan. Look all over ebay... they are bidding on everything.. I wonder if those are employees from those " we sell your stuff on EBAY" places that have sprung up everywhere. I wrote EBAY an email about my concerns and suspicions and you know what they said? That nothing looked fishy.... ummm hmmmmm RIIIIIGHT!!!! but thats fu*%^ng EBAY for you...

Jade

purrtykitty

"Rare" my ass...I saw a Sharkskin Shadestick go for over $51!! Yeah, it will be rare, but it isn't yet. People totally need to check MAC's website before they're ripped off!

rockin

LOL, there's no "e***e" clan

It is now ebay policy for US and AUS bidders' IDs to be disguised in this manner, with the *** business, supposedly in an attempt to stop fake Second Chance Offers being sent to bidders by scammers. There's nothing fishy about the fact that these IDs show this way and only the winner's ID is visible (and your own would be to you only, too, if you were bidding). I believe only the seller gets to see all the IDs.

This may be coming to the UK, too.

Of course, it does have the side-effect of hiding shill-bidders' identities, too
ssad.gif

In this case it 'looks' like a newbie, placed a $99.00 bid, whether by accident or intentionally, and someone else (possibly a shiller) tried to discover what that bid was by gradually bidding up, and they overdid it. However, positive feedback has been left on both sides and the 'buyer' states that it was a bumpy transaction. Why, I don't know, but it doesn't look like the feedback of a shiller - they would surely leave glowing feedback or none at all?? It's a strange one

ledonatella

OMG this is one of my pet peeves! It's bad enough when it's an LE item that's not that rare or hard to find but it kills me when it's an everyday item! Like one time I saw Prrr lipglass as "Rare!" and another time I saw Shroom shadeow as "HTF!". And sometimes they are overpriced, I think the Prr was $19.99 plus $6.50 shipping!

stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade1012
Those are all shill bidders. so many items on ebay are bid on by the "e***e" clan.

Quote:

I don't mean to sound daft, but in that case how come "radiantfire" (the poor winner!) doesn't show as r***e?

[from another stay-up-late-at-night Brit who's seriously about to go to bed!]

stingray

Ooops, sorry, ignore my last post, I seem to have missed Rockin's bit about only the buyer's id showing up properly...
blush-anim-cl.gif

[I'm off to bed before I make any more daft remarks!]

VDUB*BELLA

Just last week I saw "RARE" Myth lipstick

Sold for over $30 on bay
$14 on MAC website

Do people not understand they can buy stuff through MAC?
Even McQueen eyeshadows are still attainable through MAC but they are going for $30 on eBay

*sigh*

TamEva Le Fay

Quote:

It is now ebay policy for US and AUS bidders' IDs to be disguised in this manner, with the *** business, supposedly in an attempt to stop fake Second Chance Offers being sent to bidders by scammers. There's nothing fishy about the fact that these IDs show this way and only the winner's ID is visible (and your own would be to you only, too, if you were bidding). I believe only the seller gets to see all the IDs.

This may be coming to the UK, too.

Of course, it does have the side-effect of hiding shill-bidders' identities, too
ssad.gif

In this case it 'looks' like a newbie, placed a $99.00 bid, whether by accident or intentionally, and someone else (possibly a shiller) tried to discover what that bid was by gradually bidding up, and they overdid it. However, positive feedback has been left on both sides and the 'buyer' states that it was a bumpy transaction. Why, I don't know, but it doesn't look like the feedback of a shiller - they would surely leave glowing feedback or none at all?? It's a strange one

Just so that I'm clear...what you're saying is that someone really did purchase a Nocturnal Plum Piggie for $100? This was a legit transaction? What's going on I don't understand? It wasn't even advertised as a LE, Rare, HTF, nothing like that. This is how it was listed:

MAC Pigment Nocturnal Plum Full Size 7.5g NIB

I mean, the most I've even seen Coco pigment going for these days was $65 including shipping!

Maybe it was Paris Hilton, or B. Spears who bought it!
ebay.gif
whistle.gif

wolfsong

I think maybe the seller offered it for a lower price. If they were involved in the shill bidding (done by their other account or by a friends/associates account) than they wouldnt want to be caught out and face being kicked off ebay. Though i dont know how that would explain why there is another bidder near the top of the list - this would have meant that they placed the $100 bid separate to the series of other bids.
Maybe someone broke into their account? This would not be uncommon on ebay.

On another note, i think she's selling some fakes anyways:
MAC Pigment Blue Storm Full Size 7.5g NIB - eBay (item 380006720358 end time Mar-21-08 10:41:02 PDT)

MAC Pigment White Full Size 7.5g NIB - eBay (item 380007853000 end time Mar-24-08 17:53:49 PDT)

The base on the first looks thick, the jar closes all the way down and the box looks like its been poorly folded and stuck together by hand.

The second one's writing is off-centred on the front, the pigment is matte when it should be pearl/frosted, the 'e' is wrong, again the box is poorly folded (no sharp creasing like real MAC), and the window at the front looks a lot bigger than the one in the other auctions.

Also what the hell is going on with the item specifics? Probably typos from copying the auctions of her other items, but still...

MAC Glitter Pigment Grey Full Size 7.5g NIB - eBay (item 170195869072 end time Feb-28-08 08:01:41 PST)

Wrong 'e', off-centred 'pigment' on the front of the box.

MAC Glitter Pigment Gold Full Size 7.5g NIB - eBay (item 170195860603 end time Feb-28-08 07:26:59 PST)

Printed bar code on the bottom, wrong 'e', dont look like Gold glitter (shining multi coloured which would be 3D Gold, but its the wrong shade of gold to be either. Plus looks to thickly cut.

MAC Pigment Old Gold Full Size 7.5g NIB - eBay (item 170195176012 end time Feb-25-08 16:06:21 PST)

Wrong shade, photo looks stolen.

MAC Pigment Deep Blue Green Full Size 7.5g NIB - eBay (item 170195176964 end time Feb-25-08 16:13:15 PST)

Looks more like Teal to me (and my computer monitor).

Negative:

I bid for MAC rare apricot pink, instead I received a MAC regular less valueablelvhuaele ( 6 )
Mar-11-08 16:02 MAC Pigment Apricot Pink Full Size 7.5g NIB (#380001123192)US $14.51View Item

I just hope that poor person hasnt paid $100 for a counterfeit pigment.

Suzyn

I hate this. I see it all the time. One day I got sick of it and had an email battle with the seller about the fact that Myth was neither rare nor sold out and hard to find. She kept presenting the argument that thats what her MA told her. I sent her the link to the lipstick collection on mac's website, and gave her the exact location of Myth on the page, you know counted rows columns and the such. I never heard back from her after that. She lost anyway, because her argument was always the same.

Latest posts