Rather depressed...

Nicnivin

Okay, so my company just had a restructure and my job was eliminated and I found out today that out of 3 people I did not get the new position. I in order not to loose people they offered me a full time employee position making 1/3 less my pay. Which sucks but its a job! So I was thinking this might be a good time to get into something else other than retail. I am 36 y/o have a Bachelors in Fine Art, went to a top art college, and was wondering if it was too late to try and work as a MUA. I love makeup but have no experience other than doing my own. I have looked into a 5 week night classes but can't find anything else. My concern is I feel too old to be starting out/over. I just don't know what to do or where to go with my life now. This is what I get for falling into the retail sales trap right out of college. I just don't know what to do anymore... any suggestions?

th_dunno.gif

chiquilla_loca

i'm sorry you're going through a difficult time.
focus more on the skills you have, keep positive & show passion towards what you want to do. i'm sure you will succeed. remember where one door closes another one opens.
i wish you the best, with whatever you decide!
good luck!

snowflakelashes

Hey Sweety, I have no advice, I'm in a similar place emotionally for completely different reasons. All i have to offer is virtual hugs. xoxo - Snowflakelashes

reesesilverstar

I know how you feel. My company did the same thing. It's really stressful, I know, but focus on the skills that you do have right now and see how you could mold them to what's in demand right now. I too was considering going back to school for something else, but I don't think it's finanially wise to do so right now.

ClaireAvril

You're never too old for anything. If makeup is what you want to do go for it. just do what you need to do to get money. Maybe look at your options for finding another job but make sure the new position is secure before you quit the current one.
I think school (if the money is there) is always a great option. I have heard of a few people who have lost work and they believe it to be a great opportunity to go back to university full time. But those must be people with no bills. I guess it just depends on your situation.

reesesilverstar

For real. The idea of having more student loans on top of all the other bills I have to pay makes my heart pound and my head hurt. But if the $$$ are there, then go for it.

1165Cheryl

I'm so sorry your going through this, so many people have lost theirs jobs in this tough time. If make-up is what you really want to do then I would consider it, 36 isnt too old. I figure if we have to work to survive then try and do something we love. I know thats not always possible, like me, I'm disabled but found something I can still do & i love it. It took a little while to build up my name but once I did things have turned out great. Since i cant work outside of the home I was able to find something to fit my situation and I'm now 43. I know how scary it can be getting into something new but life is hard enough and too short to not do something you enjoy. I have many MUA buyers, some do it full time on movie sets & model shoots, some part time until there reputation grows & others do it on the weekends as a hobbie for weddings, ect.

Good luck either way and hang in there
smiles.gif

User38

I know losing your job is horrible... I have never lost my job, but I did lose my husband who died when I was 36. I don't know if there was a moment of happiness for a few years after this. It was after he died that I decided to start my own business and this helped me greatly to move on after that tragedy. It also helped me to provide for my two kids without being dependent on anyone again.

I hope you find peace within yourself. Do not be depressed for situations which you cannot control. Learn what you can to change things which are practical (like a job).. you will look back someday and see that this wasn't so bad, and hopefully smile at the great opportunity you have been given. Best of luck
smiles.gif

blazeno.8

I'm sorry to hear about this. I know it's really hard to see the light in situations like this, but think of all of the opportunities that are at your door right now to define yourself as an artist to the community (if in the end that is what you want to do). Who knows where this can take you?

Khalia25

There's always a light at the end of the tunnel.
smiles.gif
To answer your question, I don't think you are too old to consider a career in make up. As others have said, only go this route if it is truly your passion. Don't do it if it's somewhat of a last resort. I would suggest taking the offer your company gave you and take those classes if it's feasible. You'll be supporting yourself financially while possibly expanding your career horizons. Good luck with your endeavor!
smiles.gif

BEA2LS

i am sorry with the way things are going for you..
please know you are never too old to start over..
smiles.gif