Raves & Rants Living in NYC...

luminious

I live in NY, but not in the city. But anyone can tell you it's expensive. I live in a smaller town and it's crazy how expensive everything is. I plan on leaving NY just because it cost so much to live.

Chic 2k6

i dont live in NYC but you can get subway transport and buy passes like $10 for many passes and you only have 2 top it up when you need to. but when i was on holiday there, it was pricey but you can find stores that is affordable. you dont have to live right in NYC maybe near by like Queens or Staten Island? Avoid areas like Times Square, Broadway, near the Empire State or any popular tourist areas because thats where property is the most expensive

Ms. Z

Hi!

A ride on the train or bus is $2.00. You can buy an unlimited weekely pass for $24.00 (you can ride the train/bus as many times as you want for a week), monthly pass is $76.00.

The city consist of Manhattan, Queens, the Bronx, Brooklyn & Staten Island.

Apartments in Manhattan are the most expensive, a closet, ah I mean a very, very small apartment will be over $1000.00 (and you are very lucky if you can find one for this amount), and an apartment even in the worst parts of the city will be usually run you over $800 for a one bedroom. Houses outside of Manhattan, like Queens, the Bronx, Brooklyn & Staten Island cost over $250,000. Upstate NY is less expensive, they have beautiful, large houses for under $250K, but Long Island is expensive.

If you smoke, cigarettes are about $7.50 per pack (they cost less in other parts of New York.

The tax right now is something like 8.75 for everything (including cosmetics, accessories & clothes over the price of $110)

Most people who live outside of the city do not drive to work, they use mass transit. Parking Lots are expensive, street parking is extremely difficult and if you find sometning you have to feed a meter. In a matter a fact alot of people who live in the city don't own cars (no place to park & insurance is expensive)

I'm not familiar with other cities, but one sad unfortunate fact about NYC, we have a lot of homeless people.
cry.gif

I love living in NYC besides all this. There are alot of things to do, shopping is the best, and if you get hungry in the middle of the night, there is always someplace near by to eat. I also love the cultural diversity; everybody is here.

joytheobscure

OH wow, cigarettes are that expensive, I pay $15 a carton for my husbands, we'd live on ramen noodles if I lived in NYC and no mac only covergirl if I lived in NYC on our income.

lola336

im from jersey..but ny is amazing. theres plenty to do....lots of places to go for food, bars, clubs, museums, shopping, you can basically do almost anything in ny (as in close to the nyc area).
another pro is that u can get on a train and go just about anywhere...and the train isnt too expensive.

it really depends on where u plan to live for the cost. are you going to live in like ny state or staten island and commute or in actual nyc? either way its pretty expensive...but moreso to be in nyc. my friend has a studio...which is like a room and she pays like 1100/month. shes more in the bronx area. but still..thats pretty high! overall its not going to be cheap to live in ny. a lot of people that work in the city commute there. if you dont live in ny and live in nj for example, and remember then u will have to pay taxes in both states. but in the end it might be cheaper than the cost of living in ny. it would really depend on exactly where in ny u would live..but the further away from the actual city you go..the more reasonable the cost is. good luck..keep us posted in where u end up. there are a few girls here that are from ny and the area..we can give you a list of places to go...

smiles.gif

ps - even though it costs a lot to live there...u also tend to get paid more in areas with higher cost of living. plus..ny is one of the best cities..i love it. i go back and forth to boston..and i didnt know that most other places the clubs and bars close at 2. even in jersey most of them dont! so thats another reason to love ny..lol.

lola336

Quote:
Originally Posted by joytheobscure
OH wow, cigarettes are that expensive, I pay $15 a carton for my husbands, we'd live on ramen noodles if I lived in NYC and no mac only covergirl if I lived in NYC on our income.

15 a carton! where do you live?? lol

Ms. Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by joytheobscure

WOW $15! I'm gonna need a cigarette CP.

x20Deepx

Some more tidbits, besides what's already been said:

Movie tickets are $10.75 now I think.

Food is fine. It gets extremely expensive, but since Manhattan is, like, restaurant factory, you can find very cheap meals that are still pretty good.

Pizza is $2 a slice most places, but you can find them for less if you look around.

I think NYC is worth the cost.
smiles.gif
I wouldn't dream of living anywhere else for more than five years.

gigiproductions

NYC rocks..im sorry we do..clubs, movies, industry parties, the village, album release parties, times sq, south street seaport..queens is a nice place to live..i live right over the 59th st bridge i have a huge 1 bdrm apt with a big living room and i pay 800 (my mom left/rent control) ..i work in soho and the commute is 45 mins on the train..if i go anywhere in the city ..its no more than 25 bucks to go home..nyc is the place to be..and if u get a job u get transit check which is a yearly train pass..it works..its the greatest..the people, the puerto rican day parade,concerts..man i can go on for days