Recomendations for me?

janelle811

Hey, I was just wondering if any of you had any recomendtions for blush or eyeshadow for me.

I love trying out new products and looks, but I seriously have the hardest time picking out shades, I can never decide.

I have 2 pictures of me, in the gallery section, they are from a year or 2 ago, but I really don't look at all different, except my hair is curly now.

So ya, any suggestions?

bellaetoile

the best thing i can recommend would be to go to a mac counter and see if they can recommend some looks for you, or make an appointment to get your makeup done, which is somewhere in the $40 range, but you get that amount back in product. its difficult to judge someone's skintone over the internet, especially with pictures that are a little older. lighting, camera settings, computer moniter settings, etc. all can throw off a pictures quality. at least while getting started, its really better to have some idea of the color groups youre interested in. do you want bright colors, neutral colors? shimmery or matte finishes? are you interested in every day looks, or dramatic looks? what type of products? pressed eyeshadows or pigments (loose powder)? blush cream or powder blush? i'm not trying to be unhelpful, just saying that in order for you to be trulyhappy with your makeup choices, its best you look at them in person, and experiment..

midnightlouise

what kinds of colors are you interested in?
smiles.gif

janelle811

Hmm... I like greens, teals, blues, and bronze-y colors. And I want something wearable - not incredibly out there or anything.

I'm really curious to try out pigments; I never have, and I feel like I'm missing something!

I get that you can't suggest too much, just over the computer, and that's ok 8)

If you do have any suggestions with the eye colors that I like, as in specific shades that you really like, I would still love to hear them.

Thanks!
smiles.gif

joytheobscure

Oh, I love sumptuous olive and now I am wearing it with summer neutral - Summer Neutral is awesome, its great!! I was loving patina but summer neutral is a great greenish/beige khaki color. But seriously I'm so excited with summer neutral with sweet sage fluidline and sumptuous olive in the crease and any nice white/beige shade on the brow..

Bronzy shadows.... I have elite from belle azure that I wear but woodwinked is pretty -I"ve also been wearing honey lust a lot with rich ground fluidline I didnt' think I liked honey lust until I found a liner to pair it with- also expensive pink is great with honey lust and bagatelle (from d'bohemia) -

Pigments are something i buy on LE but I dont' use them as often as I should, I'm lazy though. coco pigment is so pretty though and right now I'm loving lily white pigment.

I also love tilt for a blue (its bright but I pair it with Patina - and just wear tilt near my lashline... I can't be too wild at work).

bellaetoile

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle811
Hmm... I like greens, teals, blues, and bronze-y colors. And I want something wearable - not incredibly out there or anything.

I'm really curious to try out pigments; I never have, and I feel like I'm missing something!

If you do have any suggestions with the eye colors that I like, as in specific shades that you really like, I would still love to hear them.

Thanks!
smiles.gif

off the top of my head, old gold sounds like a pigment you might like, as does cornflower, and maybe even teal. all pigments can be bright, but can also be toned down, when blended properly with a highlight color. goldenaire or deckchair are awesome, versatile colors. i'd recommend buying a bunch of pigment samples, especially of some of the LE and discontinued shades, since they can get expensive buying the whole jars, and you will NEVER go through all that. my 1/4 tsp. samples have lasted me for monthsss.

eyeshadow...my favorite colors are of course the discontinued ones..de menthe, parrot, lucky green, guacamole. if you're willing to pay over retail, go for these, if not, then surreal, deep truth, flashtrack, moon's reflection, and freshwater are some nice blue/green colors. for broze colors, amber lights, woodwinked, and honesty are all nice! hope that helps some!

janelle811

thanks guys!
smiles.gif
those recomendations sound great!

I just have a question though - do I buy the samples at a counter, or online? Also, to get discontinued shades, where do I go?

thanks
smiles.gif

bellaetoile

discontinued shades: your only resources are ebay or the communities (like specktra) where people sell their mac stuff. if its no longer in production, you can only hope someone will be selling theirs, unfortunately, usually over retail.

pigment samples can be found on ebay, but i'd recommend a specktra user, or someone from the Lj community, as sometimes fake pigments get sold on ebay.

d_flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle811

Thanks!
smiles.gif

for a bronzey color, try rose gold pigment. it's metallic and really pretty, if you want to try pigments. for eyeshadows that are bronze, try bronze (self-explanatory!), mulch is more red in tone, but that's a good one, too
electric eel, steamy, and freshwater are great blue colors, and i really like humid, juxt, and steamy for greens...
you can always tone down a color by avoiding packing it on and just putting a hint on, like only on the eyelid, rather than up to the browbone, since u mentioned u didn't want it too "out there".

reqs are hard to give online, esp. since i am not one to pay attention to "what would look good". i think all colors can work for everyone if applied correctly. hope that helps...

janelle811

thanks everybody- I am excited to get some of this stuff!

I just had the most exciting revelation last night too- I work at a department store, and while we don't sell MAC at our store, I still get my employee discount if I order on online, or go to a store that does! Yep, 15 %, and sometimes (like one day every few months) 25%! Yay, I can buy so much more now than I realized
yahoo.gif