Red Lips - Easy to carry off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayervixen

So I'm a big fan of the retro/pin-up girl look, everyday I'll use my blacktrack and do my pretty cat eyes. However I always do it with a neutral lip because I FEAR the red lip.

I love Russian Red and I'm contemplating buying it, however, I'm a little apprehensive I don't have the whitest hollywood smile ever and I'd hate to buy such a pretty colour only to end up looking horrid on me.

Has anyone got any useful hints or tips on carrying off the red lip look??

Miss. Herzeleid

Ok when using Russian Red lipstick, or any other red lipstick, make sure you use a lip liner as the lipstick can soak into the edges of your lips and make them look strange.

When you have applied your lipstick press your lips onto a piece of toilet paper, this will reduce the chances of it going on your teeth, :p never a good look lol.

Russian Red is a very nice red colour, its the on i use : ] its great becuase it has a blue undertone which suits most skin types.

I hope this helps : ]

Miss. Herzeleid

Oooh, i just had another thought. If you are too worried about the red lip, you could buy a lip tint (benefits one is very nice). Because with a lip tint, you can have a very sheer pinky red or bulid the colour up.

yahoo.gif
lol.

leenybeeny

I have "old lady lips".. they are dry, cracked and have a lot of wrinkles, so the lipstick bleeds. That being said, I still love to do a red lip.. it just takes a bit of work. Here is what I do:

1. Moisturize ahead of time. I have fallen in love with Lansinoh Lanolin (it's nipple cream for breastfeeding mothers - safe for the lips and is amazing)
2. Apply lipliner all over the lip - I use one of the creamstick liners since they stay on so well
3. Apply lipstick with a brush then blot
4. dab on a very light layer of transluscent or blot powder
5. Apply another layer of lipstick with the brush and blot
6. Apply a little bit (dab, don't brush) of BeneFit's SheLaq overtop the lips

If I am using a lipstick that is not a matte, it is more likely to bleed into my liplines so I use a clear waxy lipliner around the edges of my lips beforehand, or I use the clear Browset which is also waxy and fills in those little lines.

When I do this, even with eating, I can just reapply a bit with the brush every now and then.. no need to wipe off and start over half way through the day. This can be drying, so I always carry lipbalm to put *around* my lipline during the day.

ashley8119

Russian Red is a blue based red, and it is known that blue toned reds make teeth look whiter.

I have Russian Red, and I love it. However, it is very matte.
I also adore the pin-up look.
My current favorite red is NARS Bloodwork (it's in a lip gloss tube, but it's very opaque like a liquid lipstick.)
NARS Bloodwork is the red I am wearing in my avatar/picture in my profile, for reference.
I would recommend it. However, the price tag is about $8-$10 more so you might not find that a reasonable price for a lipgloss. In fact, I probably wouldn't have purchased it. It was a lucky incident in which it was a gift for Christmas!

Simply Elegant

Blue based reds are pretty easy to look good in. You just need confidence. Don't let the makeup wear you. But I would suggest applying lipbalm about 10 minutes before the lipstick and always use a lipliner with red lips.

Sanayhs

If you love it, buy it and wear it and keep on lovin' it. Just make sure you wear the lipstick rather than have it wear you - and that's all about being confident and comfortable.
smiles.gif

Another thought is Russian Red lipglass. It would be sheerer, and you may find it a bit easier to help you ease into the red lips.

Status
Not open for further replies.