Reduce Pore Size After Foundation

tfisher07

I recently switched to the Kat Von D Lock It foundation. It is fabulous, and a very little bit goes a long way. But now more than any other foundation use I notice my pores like crazy! I still use the Porefessional primer that is supposed to help with that, as well as a layer of light powder on top for a more finished look. I seriously can't get the pores to be less noticeable though!

tfisher07

I have tried just about every way. Lightly dusting, powder brush, patting in with a powder pad, etc. It's mainly my cheeks closest to my nose and the bottom outer corners of nose. They don't look anywhere near that noticeable without the foundation.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Ack, I have large pores in similar areas (across my nose starting underneath the centre of each eye -- moreso on the left side than the right for me). I generally have no issue with reducing pore size with foundation and powder. (I've not used primer lately. Before that I've used Laura Mercier Oil Free primer and Smashbox Photofinish Light.) Kat Von D's foundation is pretty full coverage, as you say. So I wonder if it'd be fine on its own, without the primer. Try a little test, very simple one. Do one half of your face without primer (but still set it with powder with a puff or brush), do one half with primer like you usually would, and set it with powder. See which looks better.

tfisher07

OK so I made a few changes this morning. I normally moisturize under my primer and I use two different primers. Porefessional for the t zone and a philosophy primer for the rest of the face. Today I did not moisturize and only used the porefessional. It definitely looks MUCH better. But now I'm wondering if maybe I need a different stippling brush??

tfisher07

OK so looked better in the morning but the lack of the other primer I typically use, which is the present from philosophy, definitely made the makeup wear much faster in my T zone. So then it started looking blotchy in those areas which made it look just like big giant pores! The sephora 45. It was actually recommended by a lot of their staff as a comparable brush to other higher end. But now I really don't know.

shellygrrl

Staff member
So either: 1) Philosophy's primer isn't right for yor, or 2) it isn't compatible with your foundation. What I mean by the second bit is, that it's better to use like with like. For example, if your foundation is water-based, your primer should be water-based as well. (Most liquid foundations are water/silicone-based: the first ingredient is water, the second is a silicone (cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, cyclomethicone; the former is the most common).) Brush-wise, if I apply foundation with a brush, I swear by the Sigma F80. It's got a flat top with synthetic bristles and is very dense. If you like the shape of your #45, you can look at the Sigma F82; it's also got a rounded shape, but it's more dense.