Regarding MAC Pigments, fake vs. real

darklocke

I went through all my pigments from MAC, trying to spot potential fakes, and see if I could find any differences. I've read lots and lots of guidelines out there regarding this problem, and one of the supposed tell-tales is when the country of manufacturer on the box differ from the one on the jar.

I actually found this on 5 of my pigments, where the box stated "Made in USA", while the jar stated "Made in Canada". I tried to spot a pattern, and I kinda did. The 5 pigments in question are: Acid Orange, Chartreuse, Grape, Kelly Green and Naval Blue - and interestingly enough the first two is from the same batch: AB6, the next two is also from the same batch: BA6, and the last one is from the batch: AA6. As you can see all of them is from 2006. I have no other pigments from any of these batches, so I can't check if it's a coincidence or if these batches actually have boxes and jars made in different countries.

So, is it a mark of them being fake? Immediately you would think so, but I happen to have the receipt from the MAC store on the Grape pigment in question, and I do doubt that MAC sell fakes!

Do any of you have any thoughts on this?

chynegal

Does it have the name on the bottom with the number.....if it has a name and number its not fake

darklocke

It's got both the correct name (corresponds with the box as well), and the batch number on the bottom sticker.

chynegal

Fake mac only has numbers on the bottom...I have bought a few from ebay which sucks. The ones u have are real...the fakes mac pigments have a weird texture to it

darklocke

As far as I know there's a lot of fake pigments out there with both names and numbers, so I don't think that's a safe sign to look for anymore. The latest fakes are almost impossible to spot.

angi

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklocke
As far as I know there's a lot of fake pigments out there with both names and numbers, so I don't think that's a safe sign to look for anymore. The latest fakes are almost impossible to spot.

It's true, the recent fakes are very very close in detail to the genuine item. While some will only display a number, these are the old old fakes and they are now so much better

I've checked mine, and my chartreuse (2007 batch) also has made in usa (box)/ made in canada (Jar). My deep blue green also has this. As with many things, it's not a conclusive sign of a fake, I think I remember reading a thread somewhere where someone depotted a genuine eyeshadow and even found the component parts were made in different countries.

darklocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by angi
I've checked mine, and my chartreuse (2007 batch) also has made in usa (box)/ made in canada (Jar). My deep blue green also has this. As with many things, it's not a conclusive sign of a fake, I think I remember reading a thread somewhere where someone depotted a genuine eyeshadow and even found the component parts were made in different countries.

Thank you so much for confirming this, it makes me a lot calmer.
smiles.gif
What makes me confused is that some people say that tell-tales like for instance the differing box and jar IS conclusive of it being a fake - and that makes no sense to me.

Also, can't some jars have slightly bolder text than others, due to the ink and the machines in use, without it saying that it's an absolute fake? As far as I know, machines ain't all perfect.

angi

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklocke
Thank you so much for confirming this, it makes me a lot calmer.
smiles.gif
What makes me confused is that some people say that tell-tales like for instance the differing box and jar IS conclusive of it being a fake - and that makes no sense to me.

Also, can't some jars have slightly bolder text than others, due to the ink and the machines in use, without it saying that it's an absolute fake? As far as I know, machines ain't all perfect.

The country of origin could be an indication of fake, if this differs from genuine items, for example if Melon pigments have made in canada (box) and made in Canada (jar), and you buy one that doesn't have this, then I would be looking more closely at. Along the same argument however, some made in printing may match when it shouldn't!

Wierdly enough, I received a pigment this morning that had printed on the box: made in USA/ fabrique aux e.-u. I thought that was really bizarre - I thought they meant the same thing? So I was searching through my pigments and found the same thing on my overrich pigments (vintage gold, museum bronze etc). Says the same thing on the back of the jar too.

Some jars do have bolder printing than others, machines aren't perfect! I've received some pigments where the printing is barely visible it's so light, and others where the printing is very thick. However, the quality of printing should remain the same, and again, it's not something I would use on it's own as conclusive proof.

TheCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chynegal
Fake mac only has numbers on the bottom...I have bought a few from ebay which sucks. The ones u have are real...the fakes mac pigments have a weird texture to it

I'm sorry, but that is not true. The new 'better' fakes have both the name and batch code number on the bottom. Please read the thread at the beginning of this forum about fake vs. real pigments. I have received 2 fake pigments from mommroxx off ebay, and they look almost identical to the real thing. Please please read more on this forum.

User27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCollector
I'm sorry, but that is not true. The new 'better' fakes have both the name and batch code number on the bottom. Please read the thread at the beginning of this forum about fake vs. real pigments. I have received 2 fake pigments from mommroxx off ebay, and they look almost identical to the real thing. Please please read more on this forum.

Seconding her, I received my 1 fake pigment from mommroxx off Ebay and it took me taking the Silver Fog to get looked at and it was a dead ringer. The manager was shocked at the quality of the bottle and when we did the swatch, real MAC held way better color as my fake wiped away in a few strokes. She's the reason I don't buy jars of pigments now because she sells to a lot of other sellers as well and it was too much of a headache for me.

Latest posts