regional slang

ruby_soho

YOOTOPiA - My professer was talking about the differences between Canada and the US one class, how Canadians are cooperative, join together, that sort of stuff. Americans are independent, every man for himself. So when Canadians talk they say "eh?" at the end of their sentence to invite you to converse with them "Nice weather today, eh". Americans don't say "eh?" because they don't want to hear your opinion or converse with you on the subject "Nice day out.". And then he's like "And no one dare say anything to the American because they could have a gun with them and shoot you!". He's so funny, he's like a 40 something old man who looks and sounds like a turtle.

TangoMango

In Scarborough, Canada, we have some strange slang words. Especially my school.

"Yo, let's dip." or "Go Dip!' or "Dipset" means 'Let's go' "Go away" "I'm gone"

"I'm ghost." means "I'm gone."

'That's arms.' means "That's wrong."

That's all I can remember for now.

laurenmo88

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl77
^^^Ha ha...I like go cruise! LOL I like grind brah! Ho, you like go da kine. I could go on and on. Hawaii slang does sound funny to people who aren't from there. THis girl asked my friend one time..."I like one quarter." My freind was like what? You like a quarter, I like one too. LOL My family speak real bad pidgeon. I dont' always speak pidgeon, but it comes out every now and then. My bf be like what did you just say? LOL It's funny. But, people can tell I am not from here by the way I talk. I guess I have a slight accent.

ahahhahaa my uncle jimmy is from hawaii and my whole family lives island style so when we go out to ohau and come back my dad and jimmy talk pidgeon - i love it!

DaisyDee

I'm a southern girl married to a southern guy (he's from Alabama, my family hails from N. and S. Carolina) --
One that gets a lot of laughs is:
'Fittin to go' as in 'Fixin to leave' as in 'Getting ready to leave or go'

YES, people actually DO say "daggum" down here...or "daggumit" or even "dadgum"
like: "My daggum car wouldn't start."

We often refer to the police as simply "the law" -- as in, "You ought to call the law on those hoodlums."

Even those of us who are college educated can often be caught saying: "might could" As in:
"I might could give you a ride to the store."

anyway, I'm 'fittin' to go to the movies right now, so I can't take the time to type in anymore localisms.
smiles.gif

IslandGirl77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDee
I'm a southern girl married to a southern guy (he's from Alabama, my family hails from N. and S. Carolina) --
One that gets a lot of laughs is:
'Fittin to go' as in 'Fixin to leave' as in 'Getting ready to leave or go'

YES, people actually DO say "daggum" down here...or "daggumit" or even "dadgum"
like: "My daggum car wouldn't start."

We often refer to the police as simply "the law" -- as in, "You ought to call the law on those hoodlums."

Even those of us who are college educated can often be caught saying: "might could" As in:
"I might could give you a ride to the store."

anyway, I'm 'fittin' to go to the movies right now, so I can't take the time to type in anymore localisms.
smiles.gif

My bf says Doggonnit! LOL Or hotdog! LOL He says other stuff that makes me laugh. He's from South Carolina.

mitsukai

i'm from alabama too, & let me tell you, dating a brooklyn boy is the damned most hilarious thing
greengrin.gif

it's coke. not soda, not pop. you ask, what do you want to drink? a coke. what kind? sprite. so there.

when you go to the grocery store, you get a BUGGY, not a CART.

it's pe-CAHNS, not PEE-cans, and yes, y'all is completely appropriate.

'might could' is also acceptable
smiles.gif
as is 'fixin' to'!

:p

professionaltart

i say "soda" for anything thats fizzy haha. "pop" weirds me out. you know what ive seen in different areas from traveling a lot, some places (cant remember) have different words for like.... a big sandwich like a hero or a sub. ive heard them called a bunch of neat words but I use the word "hero".

slang has been integrated into our speech that i think its hard to pick them out.

accents on the other hand....im guilty guilty guilty hahaha

professionaltart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsukai

smiles.gif
as is 'fixin' to'!

the only reason i say Pe-CAHNS is cause my exbf was from texas! hahaha

DaisyDee

Quote:
i'm from alabama too, & let me tell you, dating a brooklyn boy is the damned most hilarious thing
greengrin.gif

it's coke. not soda, not pop. you ask, what do you want to drink? a coke. what kind? sprite. so there.

smiles.gif
as is 'fixin' to'!

Almost forgot that one...yes we use a "buggy" in the grocery store, not a "cart." LOL
greengrin.gif

I admit I probably say "might could" at least once a day and I have a degree in English!!
rofl.gif

DaisyDee

Another one that my hubby uses a lot is: "Directly" as in "soon" --

Me: When ya coming home?
Him: I'll be there directly.

kimmy

"beef" as in "you got beef?" so to ask if you're having a problem, usually a personal problem with someone.

"hella" as in "hell of" or "very" like..."it's hella cold!" (yes, i'm from southern california, but i picked it up when i stayed for a few days with my sister in nor cal and i brought it back with me hahaha)

"gnar(ly)" as in "cool/awesome" i think this word is used mainly in orange county though hahaha.

ehhhy the list could on forever, when i actually speak it's 95% slang hahaha. where i am, most slang is really selective, like most slang comes from inside jokes with everyone's little group, you know? i think that's why people in my area usually stick with the same people forever and a day, cause it's hard to adjust to other people sometimes solely because of the way we all speak hahaha
tong.gif

Eemaan

this thread has made me chuckle out loud, US regional dialect varaitions are something you dont come across to explicitly in movies, but when they do and are very obvious and extremely amusing.

e.g Cleetus in the Simpsons
smiles.gif
anyone speak/slang like him?

mspixieears

I nearly died the other day when a very Australian friend of mine, instead of saying 'definitely' to agree with something I'd said, said "def-o". That's very ocker. I'm originally from the UK and that just sounds ridiculous to me.

Mind you, a group of people who are family friends once went nuts when I said that they were taking the mickey out of me.

I have many other silly such stories but I'll spare you all
smiles.gif

michy_mimi

It took me forever to figure out the Minnesota dialect when I moved here 3 years ago. I am originally from Ohio where everyone speaks normall...
winks.gif
At least in my opinion.

But the best Minnesota phrase is "Are ya gonna go/come with?"

I am always waiting for the rest of the sentence....but after three years of being here even my bf says I have a better MinnesOtan accent then him. hehe...apparently I adapt well.

PhreakPhantasia

Quote:

To me it's a cart. You can cart things around in it. A buggy is either drawn by a horse or something in which you put a baby. Buggying things around just sounds dirty, especially if you know any British slang. By the way, I'm originally from central Illinois, but am living in middle Tennessee.

circusflavouredgum

I have a crazy version of language that is strongly influenced by 3 main factors. I'm a first generation Cuban American so I say "coño" and "alabao" when I'm pissed off or excited and I wait for the "guagua" not the bus and still usually say no? at the end of a sentence when I ask a question.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles so I have a bad habit of squealing "Oh my God!!" when I'm excited or have to tell someone something. I call all of my friends 'girl' and when someone acts stupid they're 'trippin'.

My hubby is from south London so all of his expressions have also worked there way into my day to day chattering. Everything from minging to manky, people have 'the hump' when they're irritated, when you go in the grocery store it's a trolley not a cart.

Safe to say no one ever knows wtf I am talking about
lol.gif
cos I forget and use some weird slang on people at the wrong time and in the wrong company.

YOOTOPiA

does anyone say "owned" as in you victoriously won. like when you shoot a game of pool and you totally racked the other person you say "you got OWNED" hahaha i noticed we get a lot of slang from gamers down here...
dang... i used to talk hella valley... "like like like like like every other word" "ohhhhh my goddddd" "nuh uh" "for sure" "totally" "awesome" "chyaaaaaah" "whatever" "for reals"
i toned it down some but whenever my friends and i get together and i get excited and start talking super fast it just comes flowing out! hahahaha

user3

haha yes I say buggy instead of cart too!

I just thought of some more I use however they are not from California. I was born and raised in Georgia.

I often say "fixin" ex: I am fixin' to take a shower.

Yonder "It's over yonder" referring to anything that is somewhere else but usually within eye seeing distance.

Spell = you or someone was sick

Reckon = something you should do "I reckon I should go head home now"

hissy fit = someone getting pissed off

Sho 'Nuff = sure enough

Varmint = an animal or person that is being a pest

whoopin' = to get a spanking or lost in a fight

Bread Basket is full = my stomach is full

Egg on = to push someone into doing something

Piddlin' = a small amout of something or goofing off and doing what needs to get done (chores, job etc..)

Like to = you almost did something "I like to hit that tree when the dog ran out in front of my car"

Ornery = someone that is irritable or not behaving properly

Purdy = pretty

Y'all = You all

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOTOPiA
does anyone say "owned" as in you victoriously won. like when you shoot a game of pool and you totally racked the other person you say "you got OWNED" hahaha i noticed we get a lot of slang from gamers down here...

LOL my son says that to someone when he beats them at a video game. When plays basketball he says " You got jocked"

circusflavouredgum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Nessa
Like to = you almost did something "I like to hit that tree when the dog ran out in front of my car"

rofl.gif
I've had southern friends that say that and fixin' to..sometimes shortened to f'na.