Regular MAC brushes vs SE sets?

BrowneyedBeauty

Hey guys and gals! I am debating whether to buy a MAC brush set that's SE or if I should get the brushes I want slowly as I get money. I haven't heard if there is a difference in the quality of the SE sets compared to the normal length MAC brushes. Thanks for your help!

Sorry if someone has already posted a questions like this..I couldn't find it when I searched.

florabundance

i've never bought an SE set, but a girl on youtube said that they generally suck and are of a lesser quality to the regular ones.

mizuki~

The SE's are definitely not as awesome as the full sized ones! I think their machine made. The SE's are still okay though. Some are better than others..

MrsRjizzle

Much diffrent. For one they are smaller. Not just the handle but the actual upper part of the brush as well. But they can come in handy for certain things.

Example I love the 168 se. I think it is the perfect size to do highlighting and contouring. But the regular 168. I couldnt use the same way. Becasue the bristles/brush is to large.

I prefer the full size brushes. You might get the SE kit to get you started and buy the fullsize brushes that you like one at a time.

FiestyFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRjizzle
I prefer the full size brushes. You might get the SE kit to get you started and buy the fullsize brushes that you like one at a time.

I also prefer the full size brushes, but I had an SE set, and I've worked my way up from there. I still need to replace 3 of my SE brushes, and then I'll be done. I haven't had any trouble with my SE brushes, but like it was said, they are smaller.

MissAlphaKitty

SE sets are a good way to get introduced with MAC brushes

The short handles are cute and handy for travel and for the price you pay it's pretty fair value and they usually come with a cute cosmetic bag...
(As you know, you do pay a lot more for the full size ones)
the SE ones sometimes come in fun colors
I really fancy The HEIRLOOM ones... cuz they are gold
smiles.gif

I own multiple sets:
I agree the 168se is smaller and I prefer it

I can never have too many 190's (1 for moisturizer, 1 for primer etc...) so the SE's are great for me...

I have a 252se from a holiday set... (2006?) it's scratchy and useless

The 209se liner brush and 213se push liner are great (both synthetic)

The 187se is great purse size ... like my 190's I can never have too many 187's... (1 for blush, 1 for my invisible powder, 1 for bronzer...)
I only use mine for powders... I heard there's a bleeding problem with the SE ones when used wet with liquid foundation

They don't replace the full size ones but are a handy addition to your collection especially if you're a girl on the go

kelcia

I have one SE brush set and an SE 181
And quite frankly I don't think I could ever spend that much money on a brush (probably if it was at a CCO)
But uhm..
Brush sets are worth it. Like someone said that they introduce you to MAC brushes and honestly.. I never knew that brushes could be so different and it just changes the way your make up looks.
I suggest getting a brush set with a...
239 (shadow brush)
219(pencil brush)
lip brush
and liner brush
and then usually that set will have a face brush.. but those 4 brushes you can't go wrong with.
The heads are the same size and it's so good to have multiples of those. you can never go wrong.
My SE 181.. i love it. Yes it sheds.. (veery little! i've had it for 5 days now? and it lost maybe 3 hairs the first time i used it but hasn't lost any hairs since then and I use it to apply my sff powder every day.. sooo yeah.)
But the bigger brushes (the face brush) are of a lesser quality.
If you want like a 187 though or a face brush they might have them at a Cosmetic Company Outlet near you. I know the two in orlando had a good supply of brushes.
Good Luck!

nunu

full sized brushes are better quality than SE. SE brushes tend to be hard and stiff on the skin. the regular brushes are softer and better.

SparklingWaves

I don't have any of the sets, but I would think they might be could for a stash in the purse.

I may actually get some in the future. I think they would be useful for keeping them in my purse to give myself a touch up in professional style.
smiles.gif

Also, I think they are nice for gifts.

But as everyone else stated, you can't beat the regular size ones.