Relocation

kaneda

So, I've come to the realisation that I really do not want to be in London. This place does something horrible to my head, and I need to get out . I think I've decided that I want to move to Bristol (which is basically a city surrounded by the countryside), seems to have quite a good social side, and it does have good routes back into London if I needed to see my family.

The problems I have are:
1) I don't actually know anyone in Bristol
2) I'm in full time work at the moment (work 8.30 - 5.30 M-F) and have to book annual leave 2 weeks in advance, so I'm not sure how I would even do interviews
3) The fear of 'what if this is actually a huge mistake'

Theres nothing in London that is keeping me here: I'm single; my mum is going to spending half a year in a different country; my brother moves around a lot; my dad is now remarried; most of my good friends aren't in London so I wouldn't be leaving them behind; I like my job, but I'm not very good at holding down jobs. I'm just not happy here.

Wondering if anyone on here has relocated or knows anyone who has relocated and how they've found it? What was your process of getting yourself set up in a new city?

*Stargazer*

I picked up and moved halfway across country when I was 19 with just the stuff I could fit in my (very small) car. It was amazingly liberating. It was hard too, though. I made sure I had a job before I left and then everything else fell into place afterwards.

The hard parts were mainly the initial loneliness and fear and the having to start over again.

Good luck.

Beauty Mark

There must be a way for you to do interviews.

Most things in life are what ifs. If you feel like you'd be happier in this other place, go for it. It won't initially be easy, but it may be the best decision of your life

ashleyisawesome

My step sister and my cousin have moved to Europe to live for some time, but she's back now. She got a job as an au pair, which basically got her settled for a while, gave her a job and a place to stay. She really liked it, and she met a lot of new people. I don't know if you have to be an American to do such a thing, but it's something to consider and find info about if you're interested.

spectrolite

I packed what I could fit into a suitcase and hopped on a plane to Australia on my own when I was 19 and never looked back. I moved to a new country which was totally weird and different to the States. Luckily I made some friends and had a place to stay when I arrived. It certainly made the process a whole bunch easier.

I think it's important to have all of the information you can about a place before you decide to live there. Find out about accommodation, how far it is from transport, what the crime rate is like in the area and other things you might find important. Honestly I think it's quite hard to know what exactly you are getting yourself into if you don't know the area or any people in it. Get on the web and check out real estate and prices, maybe take a day trip or two to the area just to get a feel for it. Moving tends to get pricey too so make sure you have enough saved up to get you set up and for emergencies. Maybe you can even get online and meet people in the area through Facebook etc..?
smiles.gif
Put in your notice for leave and organize some interviews during your time off. Those job find sites are really great, so make use of them,

Packing up and relocating can be really scary at first but it is also thrilling and exciting! Just be sure it's what you really want to do before you go ahead and do it.

I dont really have experience in a move especially out of the US, but..... I just went to another state(GA) and i fell in love. I was super frustrated in living in NY and i went to visit friends in ATL and saw that i have a better opportunity in this state. We checked it out a bit and i plan on going to visit again soon...to see if i get the same feeling again....but in my mind i would like to move and this would be a big thing because i dont know if this is going to be the right chose...so i guess my advice from one confused person to another make sure this is what you want to do...see if you can take that time off and schedule something for that time....theres got to be a way to interview.without having a job i wouldnt go anywhere.

Kayteuk

I am about 30 mins from Bristol if you want to PM me.
smiles.gif
I may be able to help ya out in that area.
I have moved about a lot previously so I know what its like. Bristol is really really nice!

aleksis210

I've lived in Florida my whole life and my boyfriend and I decided we wanted to take some time off from school(and crowds)and moved in with his dad up in Mich. for a year..We both LOVED it...I got a job fairly easily and it was very easy to make friends(everyone is so nice up north!) The cold weather was an amazing scenery change as were the towns/traffic. The only thing I really missed was having everything really close by...but I got used to that very quickly. I think you should go for it, I LOVED the change, it was VERY good for me...it doesn't sound like you will be too far away anyway..
smiles.gif

ratmist

I moved on my own from America to London when I was 17 to have an education and start a new life. There was nothing to keep me in America. I had no family or friends in this part of the world, so it was quite a severe shock to be that far removed from everything I'd ever known.

It was the best decision of my life, without question, but one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. If you don't have ties anymore to London and you're looking to move within the UK, Bristol isn't that bad.

As for interviews, there are cheap flights from London to most UK cities, if you don't mind Ryanair treating you like cattle that is. If you land an interview at a bigger or wealthier company, try asking if they'll give you a travel allowance. You'd be surprised how often some companies will reimburse you for travel expenses, even bumping for the cost of a hotel if you can't get a same-day return. Some companies will also do telephone interviews in a first-round of interviews as an alternative to a face-to-face interview. Ask them if there's likely to be more than one round of interviews and opt for the telephone unless you're very, very keen on the job. No point wasting your money travelling if you're unlikely to land the position or get to the second level of interviews.

melozburngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stargazer*
I picked up and moved halfway across country when I was 19 with just the stuff I could fit in my (very small) car. It was amazingly liberating. It was hard too, though. I made sure I had a job before I left and then everything else fell into place afterwards.

The hard parts were mainly the initial loneliness and fear and the having to start over again.

Good luck.

the last part of what Stargazer has to say is the key part.

Just be aware that you WILL be lonely, it'll be potentially difficult to make friends, and the seemingly unimportant holidays suddenly become overwhelmingly lonesome.

Fear not, though homesickness and loneliness never fully goes away, it fades, and you meet new people, and find new favorite places to shop, eat, hang out...

It's actually extremely refreshing to start anew.. as daunting as the task beforehand is. It's nice to "grab life by the balls" and start your life again on your terms, not taking into account what other people desire for you do to, how they want you to act and handle things.

Best wishes...
smiles.gif

melozburngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksis210
I've lived in Florida my whole life and my boyfriend and I decided we wanted to take some time off from school(and crowds)and moved in with his dad up in Mich. for a year..We both LOVED it...I got a job fairly easily and it was very easy to make friends(everyone is so nice up north!) The cold weather was an amazing scenery change as were the towns/traffic. The only thing I really missed was having everything really close by...but I got used to that very quickly. I think you should go for it, I LOVED the change, it was VERY good for me...it doesn't sound like you will be too far away anyway..
smiles.gif

oooh! where did you live in MI?