Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

PixieDancer

After discussing our ever-growing collections on numerous occasions with a couple of my Specktra friends (Shellcat, Spikesmom, Serenityy, etc.) I got to thinking about my New Year's resolutions and how I could use some make-up collection therapy going into 2014. I purpose anyone who wants to try and commit to a low-buy in 2014 come together here for some moral support and collection advice! I am personally going to "try" and limit my purchases from each new LE MAC collection in 2014 to only THREE items. I know this will be a challenge, but I'm sure with some insight from my Specktras I can decide what items would be best for me instead of hauling everything without any real thought to what I purchase. I think this will help me appreciate my new items more and give them the love they deserve, while curbing my "out of control" collection. This will make us more discerning in our selections and force us to use what we already have a little more by shopping our current stashes for dupes.

I know I have seen MANY times how we blame Specktra for causing our lemmings and insane growth of our collections. I think with all the knowledge and talent we have on this website, we could surely do the opposite and try to support each other in making more informed choices when it comes to new, LE collections.

I think I can speak for many when I say my frustration with MAC, and how they work their LE releases, has reached a peak this past year. And I think enabling each other and mass hauling is only contributing to the problem. MAC knows we will keep coming back for more. So, with all this being considered, I wanted to create a place where those that want to still participate in new collections (while limiting their purchases) can come and get some critical analysis and honest feedback and support on "low buying" with their 2014 purchases.

Like I stated before, I'm going to try to do a 3 item limit for each new collection...
Set your own "limit" and let's see who wants to try this...
Who's with me? Anyone?

Happy New Year Makeup Lovers!!

EDIT: Thought I would also copy and paste some links that have also been helpful to me when I'm trying to "shop my stash" which will be necessary for a successful "low buy!"

http://www.specktra.net/t/184620/mac-falling-in-love-again
http://www.specktra.net/t/181602/theme-makeup-with-a-purpose
http://www.specktra.net/t/182064/operation-use-it-up-all-welcome

1/26/2014 EDIT: Our Low-Buy Swap Thread is up thanks to Miss @Naynadine! Please be active on this thread and have a notation in your signature so we know you're part of our group! #LowBuy #TeamLowBuy
http://www.specktra.net/t/186362/team-low-buy-swap-thread

2/3/2104 EDIT: Our lovely @Anneri posted this blog link in the thread and I wanted to share it here as well for easy access...
And here's a wonderful blogpost from a lady who worked in marketing at a large beauty business and chose to tell about all the little methods that are employed to make us buybuybuy. I enjoyed her blog and spent a lot of time browsing though her posts! Really enlightening.

http://beautyandthebullshit.blogspot.de/2010/10/two-step-strategy-to-increase-your.html

Serenityy

I'm so in! Its time to cut down and actually use my stuff!
Thank you for making this thread.
th_hug.gif

Let's all support one another!

PixieDancer

I'm so in! Its time to cut down and actually use my stuff!
Thank you for making this thread.
th_hug.gif

Let's all support one another!
YAY! I'm nervous but I think we can do this!
It's like the little makeup addicts support group we've all joked about!
Let the games begin!

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Great thread idea, Pixie! I've already been ''low-buying'' this year and plan to continue to do so next year. I skipped most of this year's MAC collections completely, before that I used to buy several items from each release. So I'm doing good so far. I'm also in the process of selling stuff I haven't used in a while, extra backups, etc.
The #1 reason I'm buying less MAC are the rising prices. I believe MAC is overpriced in Germany (and their customer service and the LE release drama is a mess), and since I don't have a Pro card I can't afford as much anyway. I have been cheating on MAC with other brands and it feels oh so good, lol.

I don't want to set a limit of how many items, I just want to be more selective in general and make smarter choices. No shimmery/glittery products, no lipglosses, less nail polish. (that goes for all brands, not just MAC) Only stuff that is wearable in every day looks so I actually use it and don't just have it sitting in my collection collecting dust.

We can do it!
pompom.gif

PixieDancer

Great thread idea, Pixie! I've already been ''low-buying'' this year and plan to continue to do so next year. I skipped most of this year's MAC collections completely, before that I used to buy several items from each release. So I'm doing good so far. I'm also in the process of selling stuff I haven't used in a while, extra backups, etc.
The #1 reason I'm buying less MAC are the rising prices. I believe MAC is overpriced in Germany (and their customer sevice and the LE release drama is a mess), and since I don't have a Pro card I can't afford as much anyway. I have been cheating on MAC with other brands and it feels oh so good, lol.

I don't want to set a limit of how many items, I just want to be more selective in general and make smarter choices. No shimmery/glittery products, no lipglosses, less nail polish. (that goes for all brands, not just MAC) Only stuff that is wearable in every day looks so I actually use it and don't just have it sitting in my collection collecting dust.

We can do it!
pompom.gif
YAYYYYYY!! We're sure happy you're here! We can definitely use your experience in this area since your already on the right path. I just want a place to go after checking the collection threads where I know I can really think out my selections with others who have the same goal... NOT buying EVERYTHING! When I just sit in the collection threads, I inevitably always haul more!

I can't imagine paying full international MAC prices!! UGH! I always feel for our international ladies... that HAS to be rough!

Any help you can offer here will be GREATLY appreciated! Sometimes voices of reason get lost in the sea of enabling... but I've always noticed your reserved approach. I just need to be somewhere that I won't fall back off the wagon. Setting the limit for me is a MUST, at least until I get the hauling mentality under control. It's like a forced guideline that I'm hoping will just end up being 2nd nature.

We're all in this together!

Deneb

The #1 reason I'm buying less MAC are the rising prices. I believe MAC is overpriced in Germany (and their customer service and the LE release drama is a mess), and since I don't have a Pro card I can't afford as much anyway. I have been cheating on MAC with other brands and it feels oh so good, lol.

We can do it!
pompom.gif
All the same for me ! I have bought less this year, been cheating with other brands lol (mmm Chanel). I will not set a limit for the number of items, since I can skip an entire collection... and then can splurge on the ones I love.
I have skipped all the riri collections, will not buy anything from Punk Couture (beautiful colors but totally unwearable for me), only bought 3 items from Tropical Taboo, and so on... but I loved Induldge... so I induldged lol !
My objective for now in make up is focusing on a pretty skin, so I will consider that I can buy any product that will follow this path (foundation, powders like MSFN, bb creams etc). I must avoid blushes, MSF's and eyeshadows. I never really liked glosses, I have a few so I'm good. My lipstick box is overstuffed, so I know I can't buy more if I don"t sell/swap !
I feel pretty strong now and I hope everybody in this tread will !!! Set your goals !
drinkup.gif

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
All the same for me ! I have bought less this year, been cheating with other brands lol (mmm Chanel). I will not set a limit for the number of items, since I can skip an entire collection... and then can splurge on the ones I love.
I have skipped all the riri collections, will not buy anything from Punk Couture (beautiful colors but totally unwearable for me), only bought 3 items from Tropical Taboo, and so on... but I loved Induldge... so I induldged lol !
My objective for now in make up is focusing on a pretty skin, so I will consider that I can buy any product that will follow this path (foundation, powders like MSFN, bb creams etc). I must avoid blushes, MSF's and eyeshadows. I never really liked glosses, I have a few so I'm good. My lipstick box is overstuffed, so I know I can't buy more if I don"t sell/swap !
I feel pretty strong now and I hope everybody in this tread will !!! Set your goals !
drinkup.gif
Ha! Same here. I haven't worn much eye makeup this year, so I don't need more eyeshadows (maybe just a few more matte neutrals) and don't any liners either. I want to focus more on face products, I never really got into those, simply because my skin is so sensitive and also dry and super pale as well, so shopping for foundations and the like has always been difficult for me. But I want to try more concealers, highlighters, and I want to get more itno contouring as well.
Blushes are my weak spot, so I'm definitely not setting a limit there. I do want to use what I have for now (40+ MAC ones plus a couple of high end ones), but if a unique one comes my way I won't say no.

PixieDancer

It is rough. But those prices also make it easier to skip and buy high end brands instead, since they're not much more expensive.
But I must admit, if I could get MAC for the US prices and with a pro discount on top of that I'm sure I'd buy more... so maybe I'm not that much of a help after all.
girlhaha.gif

I will need a voice of reason when it comes to Mineralize products. I'm kind of addicted to them, but most of them are quite shimmery, so I don't really need them. But they just look so pretty and tempting...

I'm looking forward to chat with you lovely ladies here.
drinkup.gif

Ha! Same here. I haven't worn much eye makeup this year, so I don't need more eyeshadows (maybe just a few more matte neutrals) and don't any liners either. I want to focus more on face products, I never really got into those, simply because my skin is so sensitive and also dry and super pale as well, so shopping for foundations and the like has always been difficult for me. But I want to try more concealers, highlighters, and I want to get more itno contouring as well.
Blushes are my weak spot, so I'm definitely not setting a limit there. I do want to use what I have for now (40+ MAC ones plus a couple of high end ones), but if a unique one comes my way I won't say no.
See.... THIS is great! The fact that you are both able to recognize where your collection has holes and specifically where you might have a weakness! I think once I get to where you both are... I will be in a MUCH better place. Being around others who are focused on a more controlled way of filling out their collections will help me a ton!
It IS makeup and it WILL not last forever. So hauling and hoarding it seems more and more senseless to me every time I do it. If I restrict myself at least at the beginning, I will be forced to really get items I will use! I'm actually excited to do this! YAY!

DILLIGAF

Just had this conversation with my RL makeup buddies and enablers. My sister and my good friend Sandra. ( both Specktra lurkers). My intention was to go on a 30 day No buy starting in Jan but I like the idea of a low buy more. Actually its more realistic. Count me in!

elegant-one

Should slink right on out of here
girlhaha.gif

Believe it or not (you can laugh if you want) I actually went about 40 days without buying any makeup
icon_eek.gif
Its true! Then I fell off the wagon with the 3 new Nars ls - which I LOVE, & then I bought the blush...& some TF. So, I guess it didn't last long, but I was able to do it.

bouquet.gif
Pixie - you are just the sweetest & you're so beautiful inside & out.

Spikesmom

I'm in! I've been doing really well with the MAC collections lately anyway. I can't remember everything that's been out lately, but I have only 2 holiday items (one MSF & a l/g set), no retro mattes, no riri holiday, etc... My interest in other brands is growing though. I hope I don't just replace MAC with other brands. I have some new Bobbi Brown things that I LOVE, so that's a little scary for me since I'm dying to order more!

PixieDancer

This is so awesome! WELCOME ladies!! At first I was afraid maybe it was going to be just Serenityy and me! She assured me others would come join our "fun"... but in this world of enabling I wasn't sure if this thread would be all that popular! I was afraid I might get kicked off Specktra for such blasphemy! LOL BUTTTT this ROCKS! The more, the merrier... and the more MUCH NEEDED support! We are ALL going to need it! LOL

Now onto YOU miss elegant... heehee... I'm super happy to see you here! You are THE BEST at suggesting great stuff! MANY of your recs are HG status for me. Just don't tempt us on here with your multiple purchases... you're the QUEEN
queen.gif
of enabling for me! So be super picky and only tell me the things I NEED...

I swear Specktra created this
queen.gif
with elegant in mind SPECIFICALLY! It even kinda looks like her with the sweeping dark hair!!

Knope2012

This is such a great idea, and it comes at a perfect time for me! I am also planning on going on a low-buy. Since I probably have close to 100 lipsticks, I think I'd like to slow way down on buying those. If I buy a lipstick, it needs to be a unique color to my collection and one that will get worn often.

I also need to focus more on buying tools instead of more colors. If I had some better quality brushes, I could do more with what I have. I'm also keeping myself on a no-buy from MAC since I've found products that work better for me.

My nail polish collection has also grown to 300+, so I'm going to be cleaning some out when I move. I'm also going to make an inventory of them based on color, as I'm pretty sure I don't need any more purples or blues for a lifetime! Since I'm planning on entering a more conservative career after I finish my degree, I'm going to go on a mission to find unique, work-safe colors instead!

Audrey C

I'm SO in. Until October, I bought far less this year than I did in 2012 (when I essentially purged my entire makeup collection and started from scratch). I'm embarrassed to see that I easily hit Rouge this year at Sephora. That's ridiculous. Beyond that, I've had my fill of MAC and their business practices and I have no desire to incent them continuing to operate the way they do. I went on a binge in October, tried out a bunch of new brands, and deliberately bought pretty much everything I'd need over the coming year. I did that to take advantage of reasonably priced holiday packs or Sephora savings (Ocho Loco 2, MAC CSGs, Ambient Palette and powders, Laura Mercier Artist Palette, Naked 2 and 3, 2 Inglot Freedom palettes while in NY) and because I knew my husband was leaving his job this month. I've put some aside for Christmas and birthday (January) gifts from others and have all I need for the forseeable future. I do still like MAC lippies, but I'll continue to BTM for those.

I love the Inglot shadows I got, so what did I just do (over the phone)? Order another 10 palette from Montreal. The shadows are gorgeous, but I only have two eyes.I have three b/u lippies and TEN l/g or CSGs in the fridge unopened. What am I thinking?
WTF2.gif

I'm sure I'll need to buy certain replacement items (skincare, perhaps foundation although I'm going to try to get through the four open bottles I have), but beyond that there isn't one reason why I need to buy a darned thing. I just bought FIVE large eyeshadow palettes. FIVE. How many did I need. ZERO.

I'm going to go well past 'three per collection'. I'm going to try for...hm....no more than 8-10 items in the entire year, including BTM lippies and replacement items like foundation. That means I can buy a very few items that I absolutely love, but nothing else. I need to work through my stash.

Great idea, Pixie. We need to keep each other strong.
grouphug2.gif

Audrey C

Ok - to help myself out, I just unsubscribed from NARS, Shu Uemura, Ulta, Urban Decay, Sally Beauty, Inglot Canada and Body Shop. It's easier to resist temptation if you're not getting daily 'reminders' of new products and sales that make it just too easy to buy products that aren't strictly required.
nope.gif

Knope2012

Ok - to help myself out, I just unsubscribed from NARS, Shu Uemura, Ulta, Urban Decay, Sally Beauty, Inglot Canada and Body Shop. It's easier to resist temptation if you're not getting daily 'reminders' of new products and sales that make it just too easy to buy products that aren't strictly required.
nope.gif
That's a great idea! There are far too many stores that give out online coupons once a month

Audrey C

That's a great idea! There are far too many stores that give out online coupons once a month
I know, and it's often enough to prompt us into buying things we don't really need. I did keep my Sephora email going because I don't want to miss coupons/emails from them. Everything else? Gone baby gone.

Knope2012

I know, and it's often enough to prompt us into buying things we don't really need. I did keep my Sephora email going because I don't want to miss coupons/emails from them. Everything else? Gone baby gone.
I'm trying to follow your example, and I just unsubscribed from about 10 stores. I can't subscribe from Sephora though; it would hurt too much

NaomiH

This is such a great idea, Pixie! I'm definitely in. It's so easy to get all wrapped up in the excitement of a new collection and get even more carried away when you see all the pretty colours and sparkles. I know I have more makeup than I'll ever use and I don't even get backups of anything (except RiRi Woo). I really think if we all band together and disable instead of enable, we can do this!
grouphug2.gif

Latest posts