Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

starletta8

Although I'm still spending more on makeup than the average person, I feel like I'm doing pretty well at a huge vulnerable moment- roll out of fall collections + Anniversary Sale.

I've bought a decent number of items over the past week, but only about 5% of that total was impulse; 95% was planned. I'm very pleased with my fall list- as of right now, my fall list is very short and I've talked myself out of multiple items (Chanel blush, 2x Dior palettes, 2x YSL palettes, NARS palette, etc). I've found that I have 0 guilt about spending money if I've really sat down and evaluated the purchase first. I'm usually close to purchasing 100% of Tom Ford's collections; I'm leaning towards a grand total of 2 items from the next 2 collections. In my own way, my low buy is being successful.

shellygrrl

Staff member
A little Friday FOTD... * Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer (I still have a little left) * It Cosmetics YSBB CC Cream - Fair * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * OCC Skin Conceal - Y1 (mixed with the above for blemishes) * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * MAC Paint Pots - Tailor Grey (all over) and Painterly (lid only) * MAC Eyeshadows - Copperplate (additional blending above crease) and Omega (subtle cheek contouring) * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * NYX MegaShine Lipgloss - Nude Pink

Twinkle_Twinkle

Just thought I would pop in to say that I haven't purchased any makeup in the last two weeks (although prior to that I had a bit of a binge with the holiday sales an all).

shellygrrl

Staff member
:cheer: Today's FOTD... * Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer * NARS Sheer Glow - Siberia * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * OCC Skin Conceal - Y1 * Rimmel Stay Matte Powder - Transparent * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * hairspray + spoolie * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * Urban Decay Eyeshadow - Mushroom (from Smoked Palette) * MAC Eyeshadow - Omega (a recent acquisition; I really wish I bought this one sooner) * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * MAC MSF - Light Year * MAC Lipstick - Feed the Senses

jennyap

I bought 2 of the Giambattista Valli lipsticks, that should be me done for this month I think. I hardly look at info for anything other than Mac, so I'm not tempted by much from other brands, otherwise I think I'd be finding this much harder than I am. Went to a christening today so unusually for a weekend I did a full face of makeup - if I could remember what I used I'd post it lol! Keep up the good work ladies :)

veronikawithak

Happy to report that it's been 4 weeks since my last makeup purchase! Even better, it's been relatively effortless. If someone gave me $100 to spend on whatever makeup I wanted, I don't even think I could do it. Complete mental shift in that area. Going to start working on other things now. I think food/snacks/drinks is next.. that's my most impulsive area.

Anaphora

In my opinion, I've been doing really well! Here are my purchases/non-purchases for the last few weeks:

1) Two Kat Von D Studded Kiss lippies

• Thin Lizzy: completely unique to my collection and I've gotten more compliments on this lipstick in one day than I usually get in 6 months.
  • Wolvesmouth: I wanted it when it first came out, but passed. I finally got it so I could get the mini Becca Opal highlight, which in turn has helped me stay strong and skip Champagne Pop.

2) I've been selling on the CB quite a bit! Even sold a GV lippie after I bought it and realized I really didn't need it. Also getting rid of foundations that didn't work out, so that might help get back some of the money I've spent.

3) I went to the mall with a friend and only bought two $5 v-neck tees at H&M! I know I'll use them (wearing one now) and they aren't hard on the wallet. I wanted a sweater in American Eagle which I may get at some point, but it was $44, so I passed for now.

How's everyone else doing?

shellygrrl

Staff member
A little bit of haulage... From MAC, a couple of eyeshadows (Malt and Omega; I'm really loving the latter!) and a single palette that now houses all my MAC that's already in pans or that is depotted. From Sephora, a #35 brush (they market it for brows but I intend to use it for pinpoint concealing) which I got along with some skincare (FAB Facial Radiance Pads). I also got a deluxe sample of the new MUFE Ultra HD to try out, and a REN One Minute Facial 100 pt sample.

B

Buffy89

I've always caught up here and read new posts, but I haven't had the time to post an update. In June, I only repurchased my powder and cleansing oil, but they don't affect my low-buy and are like repurchasing toothpaste or soap to me. In July, I picked up 5 of the Mac Dazzleshadows. I had already planned this the month before, that's why I didn't purchase anything but staples in June. I also bought some clothes on sale (mostly linen t-shirts with lace embroidery), but they are really versatile, wearable in fall/winter as well and ok for a more professional look in the right combo. I'll sell stuff at a women's flea market next month, so until then, I'll have to do a major purge. Those Summer sales everywhere are so tempting, but my budget for clothes/makeup is used up, so I'll wait til next month. I'm interested in some nude lippies from upcoming Mac collections, but the collections in general don't really impress me.

Twinkle_Twinkle

I'm officially on a no-buy until the end of September. Today I picked up the NARS Eyeshadow Primer, Smashbox Under Eye Primer, Sephora e/s in Safari and UD e/s in Beware, which I'm returning because I realized that I already own it from a palette. I also have a UD.com return so I haven't spent additional money on cosmetics and I used a gift card today, so with the return there were no out of pocket expenses. The only exception is that I'll allow myself to get NARS Tribulation blush when it's released and if I need staples like primer or mascara I can get those. Fingers are crossed that I can do this!

shellygrrl

Staff member
One last purchase for me this month: a beautyblender. The real deal this time, to replace the dupe version I bought at the end of 2014 and tossed earlier this year. Beauty Bar still had the purple one they put out a while back, and discounted, so I bought one. Two FOTD -- one from Friday, one from today. Friday's... * Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer * MUFE Ultra HD Foundation - #117/Y235 (deluxe sample size; I wrote up my first impressions in the general MUFE thread in that section of the boards) * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * OCC Skin Conceal - Y1 * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * MAC Paint Pot - Painterly * Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * MAC Blush - Next to Skin (contour) * lip balm Today's... * Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer * It Cosmetics YSBB CC Cream - Fair * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * OCC Skin Conceal - Y1 (mixed with the SS) * Rimmel Stay Matte Powder - Transparent * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * hairspray on a spoolie * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * MAC Eyeshadow - Malt (transition shade) * Makeup Geek Eyeshadows - Unexpected (crease + lightly in outer corner) and Rockstar (lid) * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * MAC Blush - Next to Skin (contour) * NARS Blush - Sex Appeal * MAC Lipstick - Feed the Senses

Twinkle_Twinkle

Since NARS Tribulation is already up on the website I decided to order it so that I can be official about my no-buy. Plus it's nice to start a no-buy off with a haul (big or small, in this case pretty small) of some kind. Now I must exercise self control for a couple of months, maybe longer. It would be nice to get all the way to the Sephora F&F sale but I know I'll want some Colour Pop items at some point and there will probably be a Becca LE item in the mix. So we will see!!

veronikawithak

Happy to report that it's been 4 weeks since my last makeup purchase! Even better, it's been relatively effortless. If someone gave me $100 to spend on whatever makeup I wanted, I don't even think I could do it. Complete mental shift in that area. Going to start working on other things now. I think food/snacks/drinks is next.. that's my most impulsive area.
Another week without makeup spending! Feels great watching the days tick by. I've been happy to see that my spending has gone to other areas like books, board/card games to play with friends, and other entertainment/experience things. In the long run, they require more effort than clicking a checkout cart but they bring me much more enjoyment too. Friday is the last day of my trial budget month and it did not go well in other categories, specifically food and furniture (as expected - we just moved). I've adjusted a couple of things based on what my actual net pay has been and I'm ready to tackle next month's budget with eyes wide open. This will be a challenging time but it needs to happen if I want to get on track to start making payments on my student debt in a few months.

B

Buffy89

Another week without makeup spending! Feels great watching the days tick by. I've been happy to see that my spending has gone to other areas like books, board/card games to play with friends, and other entertainment/experience things. In the long run, they require more effort than clicking a checkout cart but they bring me much more enjoyment too. Friday is the last day of my trial budget month and it did not go well in other categories, specifically food and furniture (as expected - we just moved). I've adjusted a couple of things based on what my actual net pay has been and I'm ready to tackle next month's budget with eyes wide open. This will be a challenging time but it needs to happen if I want to get on track to start making payments on my student debt in a few months.
yay, sounds great all in all! Well, I'm doing ok, but in comparison to people like you or @GlitteryVegas, it could be better, of course. Just ordered a new lipstick today, a year ago I would have ordered at least 2 or 3 more items without caring about a lack of swatches around. Might visit the counter soon, but I'll try some sneaky B2Ming for new stuff, hope it works. I torally agree on the entertainment/friends topic. It's really easy to spend lots of money for activities and food with friends, but the fun is really worth it. Dining out, cinema and stuff can be pricey on a student's budget, but I never have a bad conscience about those expenses (in comparison to makeup, clothes, takeaway food when I'm on my own).

jennyap

OOooooooo 2 products here that I want to remeber to use again!  UD Mushroom and MSF Light Year! Thanks doll! Always love seeing your FOTD posts.... and you like FtS just as much as I do! 
Funnily enough I just pulled Light Year out the other day for the first time in ages. And I keep wondering how long it will be until [@]shellygrrl[/@] finishes Feed the Senses! (I have it but hardly ever use it...)

PixieDancer

Funnily enough I just pulled Light Year out the other day for the first time in ages. And I keep wondering how long it will be until @shellygrrl finishes Feed the Senses! (I have it but hardly ever use it...)
Great minds think alike! And I was worried about her FtS too!!! hahahahahaha You know you're a makeup lover when you worry about someone else's stash! *wink

jennyap

Birthday FOTD - all the glow!
amuse.gif

MAC Strobe Cream mixed with
Dior Nude BB Cream
Guerlain Rainbow Meteorites

MAC Utterly Becoming PP
MAC A Passionate Quest eyeshadow quad
MAC Sweet Allure (browbone)
MAC Silver Fog (inner corner)
(last two from the Neutral Cool x15 palette)
Diorshow mascara
Chanel Stylo Yeux Beryl (waterline)

MAC At Dusk ED blush lightly topped with
MAC Unconventional blush
Laura Mercier Matte Baked Radiance Powder - 01 Highlight

MAC Heavenly Hybrid lipstick

Hubs is taking me out for lunch at a gorgeous country pub we found a couple of months ago. We just had a drink that time but the food looked fantastic so we knew we wanted to go back. Sun is shining, have a new dress to wear, and a MAC order on its way to me. Happy day!
heart.gif

B

Buffy89

happybirthday.gif
@jennyap
Sounds like you have a wonderful day!

Speaking of FTS, I own that one too, but I also never use it. It's a perfect light nude for me, so I avoid using it up (silly, I know). Maybe I should post FOTDs as well, just to recognize certain habits and to see how often I use items.