Resolution Mindful Buy 2023

shellygrrl

Staff member
(2022 thread)

2023 marks nine-plus years since the first Low-Buy thread was started on here way back in December 2013 (that thread was focused on 2014)! Last year I decided to change the name to Mindful Buy to focus less on the amount of money spent on makeup (although that can be helpful for some people) and more on our actual purchases themselves and how they may fit into our existing makeup stashes.

If you'd like help with making more mindful makeup purchases you are more than welcome to join us!

LadyBug13

I’m in!

I’m currently on a 90-day No Buy that ends January 30. I’m currently on day 78!

I’m contemplating gifting myself a fragrance for Valentine’s Day. Outside of that, I have all that I need for now. I’m enjoying the process of using what I have, and focusing on finishing products.

LadyBug13

January update:

I spent $38.95 during January on some hands and foot creams. I’ve been searching for moisturizers to combat the dryness and eczema I’ve developed, and so far these seem to be working! In case anyone is interested, the brand is called O’Keefe’s.

I used up 9 face and body products, 1 hair products, 2 makeup products, and 6 fragrances (travel sprays and decants).

I also decluttered 4 face and body products, 4 makeup products, 4 fragrance travel sprays and decants, and 4 fragrance bottles.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Hi guys. Anyone still around? Seems like everyone left. :( I lost my old Instagram account a while ago, so I lost touch with a bunch of Specktra members there as well. Just wanted to check in, hope everyone is doing well. :)

I've been buying less and less makeup in the past few years. On most days I don't wear any at all, and if I do it's pretty minimal. My focus has shifted more to skincare. And MAC especially has made it very easy to go on a makeup low/no-buy anway, I haven't seen anything I'm interested in for a long time. I miss the old collections and excitement around them, like the Mineralize ones, and the big summer and fall collections! Blushes, Beautypowders... :cloud9:
I'm also not a fan of the 'new' Lustre lipstick formula, so I don't buy those anymore either, and have replaced a lot of my MAC staples with other brands.

shellygrrl

Staff member
This place in general has been largely dead for a long time. Pretty much any makeup discussion to be had is going on elsewhere (IG, FB, various subreddits), and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

My mindful buy year has gone fairly well. I think I've been happy with most of the purchases I've made except for a couple.

r0mini0n

I have been buying a lot less beauty this year, but 1/5 still has been a fail, so I need to do better in that regard!
I will say because I've been spending less on random things, it's been a much nicer feeling when I do buy something I really want.

janette9687

I did pretty well when it came to makeup buying in the past few years after I started my low buy. Particularly in 2017–2021, I was moving a lot and really busy with my job, so I wasn't really wearing makup, and I donated a lot. Now, I am back in graduate school and have gotten back to makeup. I have since been replacing some MAC brushes, and now that Mac has gone synthetic, I came back here to check for some natural ones in the clearance bin. It resparked my interest in some LE items I got rid of. At least MAC doesn't have the same hype it used to, so Poshmark and Bay don't have crazy prices. I am trying not to go down a rabbit hole by buying a bunch of LE items I used to have. I think I just miss the community, LE nostalgia, and the fun of wearing makeup.

Latest posts