Resume help?

AlliSwan

I am finally ready to apply at my MAC counter, preferably for freelance to see how compatible I am with it, and then possibly to phase out my regular job for a part time position with MAC. I asked my girls and they said to bring in a resume, and that the woman who hires is very into visuals and color, so I could make the resume a bit fun. I want to do a regular resume (though I don't even know what this consists of!) and add a couple pages of makeup I've done (probably just one of my punk rock friend and one of my mom, to show I can be versatile). Does this sound okay? Any tips on resumes??

MACGoddess

Here is what I did... I first got an application to MAC (I had brought a resume with me when I wanted to ask for an app, but they didn't really need to see it). Then I put together a small makeup portfolio, pics of work I had done on other people, ranging from muted brown smokey eyes, to purples, to black and gold, etc...

I had the application, portfolio, and a personal letter from me to the manager printed and bound at a copy shop and then turned it in... I made sure to have my application to MAC bound in with my portfolio so that would keep my "evidence" that I knew what I was doing with my application.

Since I have no retail experience, I wanted to have an application that stood out from the others, and both the manager and regional manager commented at my interviews at how good it looked.

AlliSwan

Thank you thank you thank you! I have no retail experience and I'm worried that may be my downfall. I want to make the application a knockout, but not stupidly over the top.

Piaqua

I wouldn't worry too much about retail experience. I talked to my MAC manager about this, and this was her reply (mind you, all managers are different). To her, knowledge of the products, enthusiams for MAC and your job, as well as just being a friendly and upbeat person are what really impress her. You could work in retail for years, but if you barely know MAC, are a complete b****, or seem like you would just be blah (you know what I mean?) while on the job, retail experience is worthless. I would just really stress when you apply that you really love MAC, show your knowledge of it, and be super enthusiastic (well not like scary excited, but you know what I mean). Its easy to tell when someone loves their job or not, make sure she (or if the manager is a he make sure he sees) that you honestly will love your job. Good luck
smiles.gif