resume help

beautenoir

So I've applied for MAC a number of times and even had an interview previously that they ended up hiring internally for, but they are looking again and I have been encouraged to re-appy by the lovely MA's there. The position is for a part-time makeup artist for only 10 hrs a week which is perfect for me since I have my job at the piercing studio. I have been a piercing for a few years and so on my resume I have more than one studio in which I have worked for...my question is that at all three of the studio's in which I have worked my duties and skills are the same so is it bad if on my resume I have those three studios and have the exact same thing written under each of them? Should I put on the former ones just body piercer and then list my skills pertaining to those jobs only under the present one?...it just seems redundant to list the same things three times...any thoughts?

ms.marymac

Hmmm. With the job duties, try and paraphrase them maybe. Hopefully that will mix it up a bit. If you can think of ways that you increased $ for the studios, throw that in there as well. I would think if you had gaps in your resume, they would ask what you did during the time off. Maybe you could also think of a way to say how you maintained a high standard of sanitation. Customers service, upselling jewelry, etc would all be good things to think about. HTH

beautenoir

yeah...my resume is actually pretty good(in my opinion) and I do have all those things...but my problem is that I have all those things under three different jobs and it looks bad...I wouldn't completely take any of the studios off my resume but am wondering if listing the skills under all three is really necessary?...so an outline would look like this instead of skill under each one:

present studio:
-prof.piercer
-skills listed

former studio:
-prof.piercer

former studio 2:
-prof.piercer

michy_mimi

I agree with ms. marymac. You don't want to leave holes in your resume so make sure to list all of them. I listing all three piercing shops would be okay. I mean you do piercing but it is retail too. I am a teacher so when I list my experience I always list every job I had that deals with children. The trick is to just word it to get the desired results. Also as marymac said make sure to include upselling and customer service. I think MAC being a retail place would like that.
smiles.gif

Good Luck :matey:

d_flawless

i agree with what was said above...and there may be vague differences
kinda off topic, but i would stress the importance of sanitizing in your work, since that's a big thing for MAC, too
smiles.gif

and good luck, you're skills are awesome and you totally have the look/style, i could totally see you working there!

kimmy

write the same thing, but word it differently
smiles.gif
and yeah, sanitizing is a big thing for mac, so i'd place a bit of emphasis on that! the thing about piercing too is that it requires some artistic vision, as does makeup aristry, so having numerous studios will show that you're good at what you do and that's always a plus
winks.gif
good luck! i'm sure you'll do great!

SushiFlower

I would recommend writing an impressive cover letter. Explain why you love MAC (mention the AIDS fund or B2M for extra points) & let them know why they need YOU!! Never underestimate a great cover letter. It always makes a person stand out. It might even be the reason to interview the person.
You obviously are an asset to the company. Your creative, talented & so damn cute!! GOOD LUCK!

shabdebaz

I also agree with the posters on listing and describing all three positions on your resume. Also, a good thing to do is to make sure the manager is there on the day that you plan to drop off your resume. Make sure you dress in MAC dress code and have kick-ass makeup on! Hand the resume to him/her personally and maybe talk about your availability.

Latest posts