Resume Problems

I love Brian Kinney

What does a stay at home mom of 3 1/2 years with minimal job experience
put on her resume? I am stumped! The only thing I have really ever done is babysit, worked retail 6 years ago for 7 months and did some freelance makeup from home. It's time I got a job but I am so stumped as to what to put on my resume..any suggestions would be much appreciated...thank you.
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

What kind of job do you want? What kind of education do you have?

Tell us more about yourself; I do a lot of favor resume writing for friends and family.

Raerae

Being a housewife can be good resume expierence.

Babysitting becomes - I ran and opperated a in home Day Care Center for local families. Which includes expierence in time managament, money handling, accounting, etc.

Do you take care of your family finances? Thats book keeping expierence right there.

Toss on your Education from school. GPA, as well as any clubs, activities you took part in, leadership etc.

Are you good with computers? Excel, Microsoft Word, and MS Powerpoint? Or any photo editing software like photoshop, etc?

Housekeeping is resume expierence as well, even though it's typically taken for granted by most men. But that can be useful in those types of fields.

It really depends on the job you want. You need to write your resume to show how the life expierence you do have, can relate to that job.

Temp agencies are good too, as they can help you get your foot in the door doing office type work that can lead to amore stable job.

xbeatofangelx

Agree with Raerae. Focus on your skills, instead of your previous jobs. Try writing a functional resume instead of a regular one, it highlights your skills and potential more than you >lack of previous work experience<

greengrin.gif

Jade

I agree with Rae Rae...great suggestions! I too didnt have much experience...but with a great attitude and your previous skills you'll get a job
smiles.gif

I love Brian Kinney

I really dont have much experience in anything..I was thinking of applying for retail positions and I'm also applying at the starbucks down the road from em..All I have is my grade 12. No college/university or special training
ssad.gif

Beauty Mark

If you're looking at more retail positions, you don't need a resume.

Depending on your tolerance of people and walking around, there's always waitressing. You don't need a resume for that.

I second the suggestion for temping. If you can type, use several Microsoft programs, and answer a phone, you should be able to at least be a receptionist.

Make sure that you apply now, though, because I imagine college kids are going to be looking for their summer jobs very soon.

Raerae

You'll make more money temping anyways than you will serving coffee for minimum wage
winks.gif

I had little to no resume expierence, but I interview well, and had the skills necessary to do my current job, and I'm making more now than I've ever made.

Temping to hire. It's always a possibility. Just start early, it takes time (usually a month or two) to get a good position.

pixichik77

Focus on skills, come on, we all have them! Do you delgate well? Most housewives do (honey-do lists). Running a home takes skill, fiscal responsibility, etc. Don't lie. But by focusing on skills, and interviewing well, you will get a position. As prev. stated, most retail doesn't require a resume. temping was suggested. Also, (for you and others in a similar position) consider voulunterring, it looks GREAT on any resume.

Latest posts