Revlon Skinlights Diffusing Tint? And a general skin Q.

VeganChick

I just tried my mom's Revlon foundation and I LOVE it. The only problem is that it's already been discontinued...like, long enough that the only places you can get it are ebay and amazon. I'm afraid that if I stock up now, it will have gone bad before I even finish the first bottle! (Will this happen?)

If you think it's a bad idea to stock up, what would you replace it with? It's called a diffusing tint, so I don't know if that's just a fancy name for foundation, or if it's something else entirely. I have skin that's dry in some places, normal in others, and oily in the t-zone when it's warmer. I also tend to break out. Skinlights is the only product that I've tried so far that's given me nice coverage--just enough to even skintone in some places, but buildable coverage in the places I need it. And it gave me a really nice glow. I looked almost flawless, even right after a breakout! What else will do this?

Also, my skin seems to have changed it's "type". I used to have really dry skin with normal patches, but this summer it's changed to almost completely oily. I used to only very rarely get oily at all. I can't tell if this is permanent or just because of the weather. So does anyone have any tips for how to prepare for both my skin getting really dry for winter and my skin staying mostly like it is (with just decreased oil)? I have to buy all my makeup and skincare things soon, and I can't afford to replace everything in a couple of months..

Also, I'm on a tight budget, so I can't spend too much money. So try not to recommend any foundations that are like $30...

And I think I'm about an NW20. I'm not this pink in real life...but I guess this picture is trying to say that I have pink undertones.

6g2lvkw.jpg

Sorry this is so long...
Thanks!

xiahe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganChick
I just tried my mom's Revlon foundation and I LOVE it. The only problem is that it's already been discontinued...like, long enough that the only places you can get it are ebay and amazon. I'm afraid that if I stock up now, it will have gone bad before I even finish the first bottle! (Will this happen?)

If you think it's a bad idea to stock up, what would you replace it with? It's called a diffusing tint, so I don't know if that's just a fancy name for foundation, or if it's something else entirely. I have skin that's dry in some places, normal in others, and oily in the t-zone when it's warmer. I also tend to break out. Skinlights is the only product that I've tried so far that's given me nice coverage--just enough to even skintone in some places, but buildable coverage in the places I need it. And it gave me a really nice glow. I looked almost flawless, even right after a breakout! What else will do this?

Also, my skin seems to have changed it's "type". I used to have really dry skin with normal patches, but this summer it's changed to almost completely oily. I used to only very rarely get oily at all. I can't tell if this is permanent or just because of the weather. So does anyone have any tips for how to prepare for both my skin getting really dry for winter and my skin staying mostly like it is (with just decreased oil)? I have to buy all my makeup and skincare things soon, and I can't afford to replace everything in a couple of months..

Also, I'm on a tight budget, so I can't spend too much money. So try not to recommend any foundations that are like $30...

And I think I'm about an NW20. I'm not this pink in real life...but I guess this picture is trying to say that I have pink undertones.

6g2lvkw.jpg

Sorry this is so long...
Thanks!

i heard that Revlon's Bare It All Lustrous Lotion is pretty much the same thing as Revlon Skinlights. i *think* it's oil-free but i'm not sure.

http://www.revlon.com/ProductCatalog...x?ProductID=17

as for your skin, everyone's skin can change with the seasons. mine is kind of like yours - in the summer time i'm more oily than i am in the winter time. i'm still oily in the winter but i have more dry areas, mostly in my cheeks. for winter i honestly would avoid things with benzoyl peroxide in them b/c BP can be VERY drying, at least on my skin. i'd personally stay with something containing salicylic acid, even the summer too b/c BP can increase you're skin's sensitivity to the sun thus causing it to burn easier. the skincare line i currently use and LOVE is Clinique's new Acne Solutions line, but i only use the cleansing foam and the toner (both contain 2% salicylic acid). for a moisturizer i use Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel which is oil-free and it's AMAZING - my skin just absorbs it right up!

HTH!
smiles.gif

VeganChick

Thanks! That does help a lot.

I'd thought that Bare It All lotion is a tinted moisturizer though. The Skinlights seemed like a foundation to me. Can you layer a TM to get more coverage?

And I do use a good deal of salicylic acid. But I burn really easily anyway, so I always make sure to have at least some sun protection. (I alternate my lotions and foundations, so I make sure to use at least one product with SPF in it.) I may not need quite so much by winter-time though...I started being really strict with my skincare regimen a couple of days ago when I had a hideous breakout and it's all clearing like twice as fast as normal. (I think there's only .05% in my face wash, though the toner has either 1% or 2%. But it doesn't irritate my skin.)

Thanks for the recs for skincare..but Clinique is twice as expensive as Neutrogena. I think I might try the DDM gel though (you like the gel, not the lotion? Clinique says I want the lotion for type II skin) because I got an email offering me a free trial package of their 3-step and free shipping.

We pretty much have the same type of skin. Mine doesn't (or at least didn't) get oily at all in the winter, even with a day cream. But I think I might be going through a hormonal change, so it might be oilier than usual this winter. What do you use for foundation?

xiahe

Quote:
Thanks! That does help a lot.

I'd thought that Bare It All lotion is a tinted moisturizer though. The Skinlights seemed like a foundation to me. Can you layer a TM to get more coverage?

And I do use a good deal of salicylic acid. But I burn really easily anyway, so I always make sure to have at least some sun protection. (I alternate my lotions and foundations, so I make sure to use at least one product with SPF in it.) I may not need quite so much by winter-time though...I started being really strict with my skincare regimen a couple of days ago when I had a hideous breakout and it's all clearing like twice as fast as normal. (I think there's only .05% in my face wash, though the toner has either 1% or 2%. But it doesn't irritate my skin.)

Thanks for the recs for skincare..but Clinique is twice as expensive as Neutrogena. I think I might try the DDM gel though (you like the gel, not the lotion? Clinique says I want the lotion for type II skin) because I got an email offering me a free trial package of their 3-step and free shipping.

We pretty much have the same type of skin. Mine doesn't (or at least didn't) get oily at all in the winter, even with a day cream. But I think I might be going through a hormonal change, so it might be oilier than usual this winter. What do you use for foundation?

Revlon Skinlights was more like a tinted moisturizer with a pearly sheen effect and the Revlon Bare It All Lustrous Lotion is pretty much the same thing. as for layering for more coverage i'm not exactly sure because i don't use a tinted moisturizer lol.

despite the season, you should ALWAYS wear some sort of SPF but maybe just not as strong b/c you won't be exposed to the sun as much as you are during the summer.

and yes, Clinique *is* twice as expensive as Neutrogena. if you were interested in trying Clinique's Acne Solutions 3-step system, they sell a trial-sized kit with a 30-day supply of the foaming cleanser, the toner & the repairing lotion for like $30-something and although that's still a lot it's much cheaper than buying the full-sized bottles of all three products.

as for foundation, i recently tried Maybelline's Pure. foundation and i really like it! the coverage is pretty light/sheer (some people on MUA said it was more like a tinted moisturizer than a foundation but i don't think so) but IMO the coverage is buildable - you won't get full coverage with this stuff, though. it gives a very natural look and it's good for canceling out any redness i have from blemishes. it won't completely cover blemishes tho so you'll have to use a concealer (preferrably a medicated one like Maybelline's Pure. concealer or Neutrogena, both contain salicylic acid to help heal pimples while concealing them) but i really like this stuff. it gives a natural look - i very very very rarely use foundation on my ENTIRE face so i just use it where i need it - and it doesn't feel "heavy" on my face like other foundations do. it's oil-free and it's made of 50% water! it's pretty cheap to try, too (i paid like $5.99 + tax).

user79

The Skinlights lotion isn't meant as a foundation, it's mean to be a cream pearlescent highlighter. It can add a sheen or a shimmer to your face. I like to use it in combination with another foundation.

VeganChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
The Skinlights lotion isn't meant as a foundation, it's mean to be a cream pearlescent highlighter. It can add a sheen or a shimmer to your face. I like to use it in combination with another foundation.

I think you're thinking of the Illuminators (the highlighting tubes):
5yb39uf.jpg

I'm talking about what Revlon calls a "diffusing tint", which I'm pretty sure is just a liquid foundation with the same pearlescent qualities.
6afsbh3.jpg

I just loved the texture and coverage and how it made me look almost flawless. I think it was my HG...might have to buy it on eBay and just hope it doesn't go bad...

xiahe

Quote:
I think you're thinking of the Illuminators (the highlighting tubes):
5yb39uf.jpg

I'm talking about what Revlon calls a "diffusing tint", which I'm pretty sure is just a liquid foundation with the same pearlescent qualities.
6afsbh3.jpg

I just loved the texture and coverage and how it made me look almost flawless. I think it was my HG...might have to buy it on eBay and just hope it doesn't go bad...

lol yes you're right, i'm sorry....the Bare It All Lustrous Lotion is basically the same as the Illuminators, not the Skinlights Diffusing Tint. you might have some luck finding it on eBay but seeing since it was discontinued awhile ago the product itself might be bad...maybe Revlon will come out with something similar
smiles.gif

VeganChick

I know that a lot of people loved the line...Now I have no idea what to try as far as foundations go...

I guess I might try Revlon's New Complexion foundation. It's supposed to even out and brighten skintone. Or Rimmel's Recover line, which is an "illuminating anti-fatigue foundation".

Unless anyone else has any suggestions??