Revolting

crystalclear

Hey I'm looking for a little bit of advice on a matter, that to be honest, I would never in a million years have thought would occur. And I apologise for the length and any info that might not seem relevant.
In June mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, which was removed in July and on December 12th she underwent her final does of Chemotherapy, the next day my Dad took her to hospital because she woke up crying from the pain and she was told to go home, she was merely constipated. A 4 days later she was back in hospital with an infection and realeased3 days before christmas when her stomach pains started and to cut a long story shortshe ended up back in hospital and it turned out that there was a "growth" on her bowel, part of which along with the growth was removed on the 30th and she was in intensive care until today. They moved her to a ward which was crowded and understaffed (despite her needing close observation) at 2pm and not connected to her drip or given anything to drink (despite having an infection) until my brother and I went to see her at 6pm. They put the control for the bed at her feet where she couldn't reach it, leaving her to lie in agony and discomfort for all that time then told her she could have chicken or beef pie or a curry for her dinner despite being told only to have food you can drink as her body couldn't cope with solids. When she said this they said she was just refusing food and they wouldnt provide soup or even a yoghurt as she asked. My Dad and I complained to the ward sister who immediately accused my Dad of swearing at her (he didn't) and refused to speak to him. In the end I told her that starving and denying very vulnerable patients fluids was unacceptable and amounted to torture and I would be contacting a lawyer first thing Monday and I would be telephoning the local news and radio stations. Within 10 minutes my Mum was given her fluids, antibiotics and her nurse from the ICU came round and said he'd mediate and got her some soup.
But now I have discovered that some religious nutter in the bed opposite her said that "the smell of death is now in this room and it's coming from her" and pointed at my Mum. Unfortunately the ward sister seems very friendly with this woman and my mother is in pieces as ahe's in agony and she has to wear a turban on the ward as she can't wear her wig and that disgusting old bitch (please excuse the language) keeps looking over at her and whispering to her daughters, as mentioned above I can't go to the nurses and I am going to try and get her moved to a ward where she can get better care but in the meantime I dont know what to do and I'm very worried. I called the ward once the night shift (and different staff) had started and they were fine until they asked who my mother was then the nurse became rude, evasive and practically slammed the phone down on me. In rgaurds to her care I can nag them during visiting tomorrow to make sure she gets her treatment and try to get her transfered to one of the other hospitals in the city on Monday or atleast a different ward. But if not and in the meantime, what should I do about 1) the staff and 2)the nutter(the one I'm more worried about) who acts as if she's is just some benign, old christian lady (she isnt under the way I was brought up) when is aware of the distress she causes my mum and constantly makes insulting remarks about "the Scotch" (we're Scottish and live in England and it is well known that a lot of Scots find that term offensive- everytime she says it she has a side glance at us to see our responses and get a great deal of glee from the enraged looks between us as she believes we can't do anything about it). I'm at a loss as to what to do. Do I tell the woman to shut up (a bad idea under the circumstances), annoy the nurses until they do something (knowing they'll not do anything), confront her daughters (both more than twice my age) and ask them to tell her to shut up or face legal action (and put myself at risk of arrest-in England all they'd have to do is say they were afraid I was going to hit them and I'd be charged with assault despite making no threat or attempt) or do I make a complain of harrassment and racial harrassment to the police (could possibly backfire in light of who it'd be against and if her family went to the press, Scots aren't particuarly popular with certain sectors of the press)?
th_dunno.gif
None of these options seem very good to me (the ward sister wants to ban my Dad from the ward and any excuse will do) but I can't not do anything and I am gravely concerned for her physical and emotional well being.

rbella

God, that is so awful. I cannot even begin to imagine what you and your family and mother are going through. Honestly, I think the best way to deal with the situation is to just bite your tongue (you can't change crazy) and try to be there for your mother as much as humanly possible until you can get her transferred. If you stir up too much "trouble" (which you aren't, but these idiots seem so put out) then your mother my get worse treatment. I would just get on making sure she gets transferred asap.

I'm so sorry. I really hope things get better for you. I'll be keeping you and your mother in my thoughts.
th_cheerup.gif

stronqerx

man..smh@ the old christian lady...actually she's not even christian, shes being fake..she should know better than to act that way, esp by saying racist things like that. I agree with rbella, it's best to bite your tongue with her because shes obviously not in the right state of mind. Just hold on girl !! try to get your mom out of there asap. Godbless you & your fam

Girl about town

Hi im a senior nurse in a medical ward and in my opinion this should have been sorted out the minute you raised your concerns!!!
Ask to speak to the lead nurse for the unit/department or hospital coordinator.
It sounds like the relationship between you and the nursing staff had deteriorated to the point you can't voice any complaints without them thinking you are being agressive or constantly moaning so you need someone to help mediate the situation.
As for the old woman annoying you in the ward, she is probably ill and confused and is also a patient so the nursing staff can't really do anything about her!
Can you bring her yoghurts and soups in and make it known to staff that she needs a soft diet, i really don't see how this is a problem for them all they need to do is phone the kitchens or make a dietician referral.

Ask for a meeting with the head nurse and air your concerns, try not to shout or get abusive no matter how angry you feel , i have had many a relative balling in my face for things that are out of my control and all it does is put your back up instantly and does not hep!!!!

Hope you sort this out the key is making your feelings known without losing control and getting the best outcome for youe mother!!!!Good luck

abbey_08

to be honest im not suprised with the way the nhs is. you should try to get her moved hospital because that one seems awful. cant you request her to be moved away from the nutter?! you could try writing a formal letter of complaint or ask to sit down with the nurse and another unbiased employee and discuss that you arent happy about the situation or the way they are feeding your mother.

hope it gets sorted out soon

crystalclear

Thanks for the advice and support, it is greatly appreciated at this very difficult time.
Things improved on Sunday as the staff had changed and the nurse who had been looking after my Mum in the ICU had came over and told them that under no uncertain terms was she told be told to take solid food or nothing and she has been getting soft foods now and is off all of the drips etc. The Doctor says she should be home by the end of the week so long as she continues to improve.
The crazy old lady has settled down and has more or less stopped with that nonsense and is going home tomorrow so if it had came to the worst she'd get some peace and quiet.
The Ward Sister is just incredibly unprofessional (does not seem to keep very good order in the ward and tends to shout across the ward- and not for purposes of treating people)and I had the task of asking her what the doctor had said in regards to Mums treatment (Mum has been on morphine for a couple of days and was drifting in and out of sleep this morning when she and the doctor was in) and getting home, which she hasn't got back to me on. I think she's avoiding us but since it concerns my mother health my opinions of her and vice versa is neither here nor there and I only want to clarify things for my Mum, so I'll just have to try again tomorrow. I will be making a complaint about her first day in the ward but will wait until she is home, to avoid any further problems with this woman.
Some NHS staff are fantastic (like the nurses in ICU) and some are terrible like the one on that ward. Unfotunately the bad ones are the ones that get in the papers these days and I think that makes thing a bit more difficult for other members of staff.

Girl about town

The ward sister does sound very unprofessional, chances are if you had this problem then other people have had the same one!!!, Ims sorry you had to go through this in an NHS hospital, it may not seem like it but the majority of nurses actually care about their patients and want their experience in hospital to be as pleasant as possible, i hope you get things sorted out xx