RIP beloved shadows

lovalotz

Okay, so I decided to depot my four eyeshadows (yes, that's all i have at the moment..) and I chipped them along with cutting myself. I'm such a failure at this!!
I'm fine until I try to remove the actual metal container from the plastic (after candle flame). This is where they start to chip. How do u girls do it??

MACActress

I use a flat-iron and I just wait even longer than I should, then turn the plastic insert with the pan in upside down on a fluffy towel, and use a safety pin to push through the melted plastic.

Cool Kitten

awww, this sucks!
Once you melt plastic in the back flip it upside down on a towel and push through with a screwdriver (or anything sharp enough to push the metal pan out), it should come right out. Did you melt the plastic enough?

lovalotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACActress
I use a flat-iron and I just wait even longer than I should, then turn the plastic insert with the pan in upside down on a fluffy towel, and use a safety pin to push through the melted plastic.

But when you push through the plastic, wouldn't the shadow crumble?
My shadows get so easily ruined =(

lovalotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Kitten
awww, this sucks!
Once you melt plastic in the back flip it upside down on a towel and push through with a screwdriver (or anything sharp enough to push the metal pan out), it should come right out. Did you melt the plastic enough?

I used an exacto knife (hence the slip and cut). I'm pretty sure i melted the plastic enough...30sec-a min

lara

http://mac.larahill.com/depotting.htm

That's how I roll. Never had a failure yet.
smiles.gif

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovalotz
Does anyone have tips on how to repair my shadows, please?

For minor repairs (chips, cracks), get some surgical spirit from the chemist. Pat it into the damaged areas of the eyeshadow with a q-tip, then set it aside to dry for a couple of days.

I recommend surgical spirit over 100%/rubbing alcohol because surgical spirit has a very small percentage of oil in it, which helps the e/s bind back together without giving any taint to the e/s itself.

lovalotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
For minor repairs (chips, cracks), get some surgical spirit from the chemist. Pat it into the damaged areas of the eyeshadow with a q-tip, then set it aside to dry for a couple of days.

I recommend surgical spirit over 100%/rubbing alcohol because surgical spirit has a very small percentage of oil in it, which helps the e/s bind back together without giving any taint to the e/s itself.

Okay thanks!
So just use a q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol and pat it on?

marykelancey

I recently depotted all of my shadows. Out of about 30, 4 got chipped or bumped when I was depotting. Where was the great "push it through from the back" tip a week ago? But now I'll know. Thanks girls!

sigwing

Try also the mini screwdriver, like in an eyeglasses kit, like Lara's pictures show. It's safer than the exacto knife!

I've used the candle method too, but it's messier, so I'm glad to see those photos! I have a quad I've been waiting to assemble.

lovalotz

hmm...how do u exactly push it through the back?
Wouldn't u make a hole in the pot?
thanks girlies for the tips.Maybe i'll get a seperate empty quad to put my "handicapped" eyeshadows in. lol

litlaur

Quote:
hmm...how do u exactly push it through the back?
Wouldn't u make a hole in the pot?
thanks girlies for the tips.Maybe i'll get a seperate empty quad to put my "handicapped" eyeshadows in. lol

Usually when I wait long enough, there is a hole already melted through the plastic part. If not, it probably would make a whole, but that's fine. It's just going to get recycled.

MAC_Whore

Sorry about your shadows.
ssad.gif

Sorry. I can be of no help. I have yet to pop my depotting cherry. I haven't depotted any of mine. I think I may be getting to that point though, just due to volume/storage. Thanks for the tips everyone.
smiles.gif

lovalotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlaur
Usually when I wait long enough, there is a hole already melted through the plastic part. If not, it probably would make a whole, but that's fine. It's just going to get recycled.

How long do u usually wait for? do u just keep poking the hole until you can pop out the tin thingy? Usually what happens to me when I attempt at removing from the side of the container is I break the shadow.
hmm.gif

sigwing

I carefully pry it up out of the black plastic that's soft & pliable when it's hot enough, I've tried to poke a screwdriver through the back but it wasn't quite hot enough or something, but I haven't had problems with the tiny screwdriver & prying because the glue under the metal pan is really heated and loose at that point. It also makes it easy to stick the piece of magnet onto it to then put into the palette.

lovalotz

I'm so stupid!!
I was planning on going to my counter to pick up some empty pans for my depotted eyeshadows...but then i just realized they're only sold at the freestanding store!! =( Now i have to go all the way to chinnook ='(
What's extra stupid of me is that I depotted my shadows waaay too early and the glue will dry

asnbrb

Quote:
I'm so stupid!!
I was planning on going to my counter to pick up some empty pans for my depotted eyeshadows...but then i just realized they're only sold at the freestanding store!! =( Now i have to go all the way to chinnook ='(
What's extra stupid of me is that I depotted my shadows waaay too early and the glue will dry

you were going to glue it in?

just get one of those thin business card magnets and use that to keep it in the palette. All the palettes are magnetized