Rising violence in teenage girls...

*Stargazer*

We are fortunate in the US that it isn't nearly as bad as it is in the UK, but it all stems from the fact that the parents of most of todays teens refused to discipline them when they were young because they didnt want to "stifle" them. So they grew up with no boundaries. Compounding the problem, when they DO commit these heinous acts, they don't get the book thrown at them. They get a slap on the wrist.

kimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
We are fortunate in the US that it isn't nearly as bad as it is in the UK, but it all stems from the fact that the parents of most of todays teens refused to discipline them when they were young because they didnt want to "stifle" them. So they grew up with no boundaries. Compounding the problem, when they DO commit these heinous acts, they don't get the book thrown at them. They get a slap on the wrist.

exactly. i think alot of it too is that girls are RARELY punished as harshly as boys are (it's sad, but true...at least where i come from) so they know they can get away with, like Ladybug said, just a slap on the wrist...

Raerae

I agree a lot with the above posts...

WAY to many people have gotten WAY too involved with the in's and out's of how people need to raise their children. All these dont do this dont do thats or you'll end up dealing with Child Protective Services. Not to mention, Law Suit happy parents, which leave other authority figures powerless when it comes to disciplining their kids for fear of LawSuits.

Parents: How dare you raise your voice at MY child! How dare you single out my ANGEL! Blah blah blah...

Other People: How DARE you discipline your child! How DARE you raise your voice at your child! I'm reporting you to protective services!

As a result you have kids who think they can do whatever they think they want too, and think they deserve whatever they want. I mean c'mon, they have shows on TV about bad behaving children where the parents dont know how to control their kids...

Beauty Mark

I agree it's about the parents. Particularly in girls, I think there's this fucked up movement about some sort of strength and being awesome by behaving like a violent asshole. I don't understand it or pretend to understand it, but I was reading an article about some Internet celebrity (famous through like MySpace or YouTube) who derives pleasure by being basically or trying to be a violent asshole. It sounds like she'd go out of her way to start a fight, which is ridiculous. She's evidently very popular.

I'm fine with girls standing up for themselves, but they're being ridiculous.

Uchina

My parents were VERY liberal. They always told me that I should be outspoken and stand up for myself, but they ALSO taught me that hurting people is wrong. I have rage issues, but I've never beat anyone up in my life. Female rights does NOT equal female violence.

Beauty Mark

Mine were, too. I hope I didn't come off as anti-feminist, because I'm not at all. I've just noticed a trend of females trying to embody "masculine" traits and taking it way too far.

tokyo_juliet

No, it's not just the parent's lack of proper raising. Not all of it stems from the parents not disciplining them when they were young. The problem is also who they hang around with. I was brought up fine by my parents but due to the fact that I started to hang around the wrong group of friends, I became rebellious and didn't listen to anyone anymore, not even what my parents told me sometimes. It's the same thing with my younger cousin right now too. She's only 13 and she thinks she's so damn hardcore and talks about fighting with other girls that it's just so ridiculous. Her parents can't even control her anymore because she just won't listen to them or do what they say. And her mom's pretty much sad about it, too. She was so sweet to almost everyone when she was young but she also got involved with the wrong group of people.

Latest posts