Rosetta Stone?

Dr_Girlfriend

Anyone had any experiences with any of the Rosetta Stone software? I really need to be able to help customers and patients that only don't speak English. Generally we have a translator at the hospital but in case she's not available I'd like to be able to help. I wouldn't want to accidentally cause harm because of a communication barrier.

Thoughts and opinions? It seems pretty expensive and would hope it's worth the money. Thanks guys!

Shadowy Lady

well, my husband is using it right now to learn Persian. He's quite happy with it. He's been using it for two weeks only and he already has some grasp on the language. It is expensive but to us it's definitely worth it. The software is structured in such a way that you follow a basic set of rules that help you learn faster and more efficiently.

HTH
smiles.gif

tara_hearts

You have to try livemocha.com
It is similiar to rosetta stone but it is free, plus you can submit written and oral excersises to be reviewed by native speakers. I have been learning spanish on there and it is super helpful. My name on there is TaraJ if you want to add me.

MAC_Whore

I like Rosetta Stone. I use it to augment my language classes and it does help keep it fresh.

Funny story, I used to work with someone who was so anti-travel, anti-anything but his own little world. His wife finally convinced him to travel to France, despite him "hating the French". BTW, he had never met anyone french.

So one day he says, "I am going to pick up some of those Rosie Stone videos to learn some of the language. I hear Rosie is really easy to understand."

icon_eek.gif

kellygurl

I taught at a Dual Immersion school, where the students are immersed in Spanish instruction. Students who only speak English model from the students that only speak Spanish, and the ultimate goal for the students are to become bilingual by the 6th grade. The students use the Rosetta Stone program depending on their language needs. It is very helpful, and if the schools are using it, I say give it a try.

Dr_Girlfriend

Thank you everyone for the replies! I should have taken a practical language class when I was in high school. Instead I took Latin. It was fun but of course all it did was sharpen up my grammar.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Girlfriend
....Instead I took Latin. It was fun but of course all it did was sharpen up my grammar.

And hey, if you ever run into any dead, ancient Romans, you will have tonnes to talk about!
smiles.gif

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
And hey, if you ever run into any dead, ancient Romans, you will have tonnes to talk about!
smiles.gif

Sorry, I realized I said that incorrectly. I should have said:

"And hey, if yov ever rvn into any dead romans, yov will have tonnes to talk abovt."

Boasorte

I'm thinking of buying a program to help with my Portuguese, but not to sure about RS.... I'm on LM though, very good site

Latest posts