Saddam Hussein convicted, sentenced to death

IcePrincess2250

Eh.....I think the Prime Minister pretty much summed it up when he said
“[Saddam's] sentence does not represent anything because executing him is not worth the blood he spilled,” he said. “But it may bring some comfort to the families of the martyrs.”

:shrug:

amoona

I wonder if it'll actually happen though. Will they go through with it? And if they do how long you think it's going to take? I mean how long can they keep postponing the sentence and appealing it?

What saddens me the most, as a Muslim and an Arab, is that the Sunni Muslims and the Shiite Muslims are fighting with each other. This type of behavior is unheard of amongst Muslims, it was a silent thing that happened in Iraq but it was committed by Saddam who hated Shiites. Now that the US has left no strong structured government for Iraq its sad to see them killing each other. One of my closest friends is Iraqi Shiite and him and are were talking about this the other day. Between the two secs there is only one difference in the religion, so we just don't get why now the people are at each other's throats. It's sad.

On the other hand my boyfriend is Assyrian from Iraq and he never was one who supported Saddam but he was telling me how Christians no longer have religious protection in Iraq. Their Church was blown up a few months ago. Saddam's former foreign minister and deputy prime minister was Assyrian so Christians were never bothered and their were portected by the government. Ever since the US took him out of power they haven't really done anything to protect the Christian minority and many have fled the country and the ones that stayed aren't living under safe conditions.

It's just sad to see all this violence amongst the same people, other Arab countries (with the exception of Lebanon) aren't like this. There's isn't this seperation between Muslim Sunnis and Muslim Shiites or Christians. Whatever happens to Saddam I just hope that someone will protect ALL the people of Iraq before it gets even worse then it already is.

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona

It's just sad to see all this violence amongst the same people, other Arab countries (with the exception of Lebanon) aren't like this. There's isn't this seperation between Muslim Sunnis and Muslim Shiites or Christians. Whatever happens to Saddam I just hope that someone will protect ALL the people of Iraq before it gets even worse then it already is.

I agree completely. By the sounds of it (I wouldn't really know though) things weren't great before, but America really effed things up over there. I just don't know if there is anything that can be done now...like, is it all damaged beyond repair?

Hawkeye

The damage is done pretty much.
I do think that it is an important thing for the government of Iraq to do this as a nation in their own judicial system etc. I think that was one of the better moves of the US in this area-give him over to his own people to try him.
I can't say I'm overjoyed that he will hang but it was the judges ruling. And the sad part is-im for the death penalty! But Iraq-it was just very...conflicted-even before the US got involved.
I do think this will be a good thing for the families of the many victims he has slaughtered.

I mean amoona and I don't agree on much but on this I gotta agree with you. I hope all the people will be protected in Iraq, though I have a feeling ....

Regardless we can hope for the best for the people of Iraq.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbeabitch
Regardless we can hope for the best for the people of Iraq.

Amen to that...

amoona

Actually when Saddam was in power this chaos didn't exist. I mean don't get me wrong, yes he did many horrible things to many people. But it was done by him and his officers. The people themselves weren't running wild and killing each other. That's a new thing. It's weird to me because like I said earlier, you don't see that in other Arab countries besides Lebanon (and there it's mostly a Muslim-Christian thing). I've stopped reading and watching the news about Iraq months ago, it's too depressing to me.

I don't really have sympathy for people who committe geneocide, especially when it's their own people. I just hope that this doesn't cause even more violence in Iraq ... The Shiite's are celebrating and the Sunni's are protesting.

Bre

While I can understand the relief Iraqi (or it would seem some Iraqi) people may feel if Saddam is executed I fail to see how this would set the precedent for a "new and improved" society, which was the reason for toppling him from power, was it not?

It may seem just but what kind of an example does it set for those feuding in the streets, is it that killing/murdering/executing people is ok for some people to decide to do but not others. Does killing 1 person make someone any better then killing 1 million

I am really against the death penalty and am glad that it has no place in Australian Law (any more) but today I heard on the news that our Prime Minister welcomed the verdict which I find very hypocritical. IMO if you don’t condone the death penalty you can’t support an “exception” execution

little teaser

i have mixed feelings about the death penelty to i feel NO human has the right to take anothers life but i guess the way they look at it is killing one (sadam) would be spareing other life that he would torture rob and kill thats why we have laws to protect and if you cross that line you pay or the world would be outta control more so than it already is

litlaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
I wonder if it'll actually happen though. Will they go through with it? And if they do how long you think it's going to take? I mean how long can they keep postponing the sentence and appealing it?

The appeals process begins automatically, but it could go on for a while. As soon as a decision is made, though, the sentence will be carried out in 30 days.

amoona

Yea I read that about the appeal process beginning within a month I believe. idk I could be wrong on the exact timing. Does anyone know what the new judicial process is in Iraq now? How many appeals can be made and all that? Is it sort of like here now were you can drag stuff on for years and years and years? I asked my Iraqi friends but they have no idea how the new system has been set up.

Hawkeye

ROFLMAO

sorry that just cracked me up Uchina

You know it is interesting what the new appeals will be over there.

It will also be interesting to see how this plays out and very interesting if they actually go Through with it-what will happen then.

This is going to be a very interesting next few months

Latest posts