Sanitation at Sephora

brownsuga lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluffyew769769
Yeah I don't really try stuff on, unless it is on my hand.

Same here. I don't put anything on my lips or face. I just swatch on my hand or arm and judge from that.

mae13

I forgot to mention, the ideal is always to have extra testers available for when they do your make-up, so a) they're not removing testers unnecessarily from the display units and b) there's more control over how they're handled, since they're not placed out for the customers to use. When you're testing make-up, check with the SA if they have a second tester available from the drawers.

FiestyFemme

I don't try anything on when I'm at Sephora or any makeup counter. Mostly the things I have seen have been young girls who will walk right up and apply the tester (lipstick or gloss) straight to their lips. Ew! God knows who used that before you, and you have no idea what their hygiene habits are like or what germs they could have. I've watched girls do that at Sephora, and 2 SA's just stood by. They looked disgusted, but obviously not enough to do their job and say something to those girls.

I only swatch on my hand, and I always turn down the SA's when they ask me if I'd like to try something on. I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't, and if it doesn't, I'll either return it, swap it, or sell it. Anything is better than using a tester, IMO.

Kuuipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestyFemme
I don't try anything on when I'm at Sephora or any makeup counter. Mostly the things I have seen have been young girls who will walk right up and apply the tester (lipstick or gloss) straight to their lips. Ew! God knows who used that before you, and you have no idea what their hygiene habits are like or what germs they could have. I've watched girls do that at Sephora, and 2 SA's just stood by. They looked disgusted, but obviously not enough to do their job and say something to those girls.

I only swatch on my hand, and I always turn down the SA's when they ask me if I'd like to try something on. I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't, and if it doesn't, I'll either return it, swap it, or sell it. Anything is better than using a tester, IMO.

The opposite is true in Hawaii at Ala Moana. The Mac Free standing store looks like a day care. Its full of baby strollers, preteens touching everything, that I only run in with a list and go out. Our sephora store is cleaner. I always see people dusting,using germicides, there are plenty of disposable wands, etc there. The MAC store had no disposable wands, kids were (literally, they were children!) sticking their fingers in all the makeup. I never saw anyone sanitize at MAC, but I have seen sanitization in Sephora, Neiman Marcus (Nars counter) and in various parts of Nordstrom.
Anywhere there are people breathing on products, or on low counters for children to stick their fingers in, I avoid.

Divinity

EVERY Sephora is the same regarding sanitation and all the testers look iffy. Stick to the hand.

MissDeViousDiVa

Maybe this will sound strange, but I'm honestly surprised by the amount of people in this thread that have hygiene lol
Everytime I go to a counter, it seems like the people asking for sanitized testers/extra wands/anything clean are the minority. Most people just walk up and try it out.

I ALWAYS swatch on my hand, and I only swatch eyeshadows and products not meant for the lips because I know probably tons of people have used the lipsticks/gloss wands already and I think it's gross. Most people think I'm a germophobe but I think it's just good hygiene. I guess I'm not the only one.

onezumi

I wonder if they posted something about sanitation that more people would realize how important it is. This is gonna sound gross, but when I was a kid I didn't know. I had tons of eye infections and got treatment. Each doctor told me it was my contact lenses, but finally one said it was eye cleanliness. Now, I wash my brushes each week and make sure to wash my eye area with Cetaphil each night to be sure everything is off. I found that my eye area is extra sensitive to infections if I don't clean a lot. But, the first place I saw good information about sanitation was right here in this forum.
smiles.gif

reesesilverstar

Ha ha! I MAKE them open up a new one. I remember the last time I was looking for a new lipstick and was in there I saw these little girls who'd obviously had some fun in the makeup. So when I found a shade I was interested in, I asked a MUA to open a new one. She started to point at the already opened one so I pointed out that she couldn't seriously want me to put that on my face when - and pointed at the girls. So she opened up a bunch of lipsticks for me.

newagetomatoz

The most I do at Sephora is swatch is with my fingers and then wipe it off. It is just to disguting to put on me, and then the MAs always ask if you want to "try something on." Ummmm, no.

And then, I over heard some girls at my school saying that if they ever got a job at the Galleria (my mall with the Sephora) they would never buy makeup or bother putting it on at home because they would just go to Sephora every day to do it. EEEEWWWWWW!!! When I heard that I think I threw up in my mouth!!

Sephora, I love you, but not enough to endure your germs.

TDoll

I agree with pretty much what everyone else is saying... Testing products on your face is super yucky (aside from foundations...not a full face, but on the jaw bone, you know...lol).
I usually test everything else on the back of my hand. Most of the time, I just eye-ball it though and don't test at all. Sometimes when I open a lip gloss or lipstick tester I cringe thinking where that sucker has been.
I will say that on several occasions at the Sephora I go to most often, I have actually seen women applying a whole face of makeup from the testers! My mother and I stalked out this one lady there one day watching her go through an entire makeup routine!
Usually you get stalked out there, but no one seemed to care or notice!