Scalp acne?

MACtastic

Eww, that title sounds gross. HAHA. Mods, feel free to move this if it belongs in another section.

I'm prone to zits on my scalp. It's weird...I have an oily scalp (which explains the zits), but I also have dandruff. Hrmph.

Anyways, does anyone have any tips on how to take care of this?

DaizyDeath

I get it too mostly where my hair line starts but yeah im preety shure its normal. lol

sorry im not of much help!

d_flawless

you probably just need a deep cleansing shampoo or a balancing shampoo even, to help balance your oils to that you aren't too dry, but not as oily.
dandruff is actually the condition you get when your scalp produces too much sebum, then it has to flake off the scalp to purge. sebum is also, when in overproduction, what results in acne...makes sense, how the two would seem opposites, but really are similar.
the only products i've heard about are from work:

http://www.aveda.com/templates/produ..._ID=PROD 5941
http://www.aveda.com/templates/produ..._ID=PROD 5816

the top has the shampoo/cond, and the bottom link is for dandruff...hth

als1626

You also may want to go to a dermatologist to get it checked out - I have something similar to what you guys are talking about, but without dandruff. I get "sores" that are basically like a scabbed over pimple, even though I didn't initially pick at the sore, that are itchy and hurt. And I unconsciously *do* pick at the scabs. The sores are generally in the same few places on my scalp. It was eventually diagnosed as folliculitis. I believe there is stuff you can take for it, but for me, I simply started using shampoo without sulfates in it, and that helped tremendously. It runs in my family and everyone who tried using sulfate-free shampoo said they had a big improvement.

I still get them occasionally when under a lot of stress or in the sun a lot (when will them make a non-vile scalp sunscreen?) but it's really infrequent compared to what I used to have. Good luck!

MACtastic

Thanks so much! I didn't know dandruff was from being oily..I guess I associated it with flaky skin on the rest of the body, which is from being dry. I will definitely check out those products, and if it gets bad enough (I hope to God not!) I'll head to the dermatologist. Thanks again! <3

Oh, and sulfate free works miracles on my hair already, maybe it will help with these things too!

ticklemethu

I use to get pimples on my scalp here n there when I was a lil younger but not anymore. It was really werid and kinda gross. My mom would have me lay down sometimes and she would "pop" them. Not very attractive huh?

I also have oily hair but not acne prone skin.