School

ElectroCute

I really need some advice. Here's the things you probably need to know: I hate the school I go to. I've wanted to change schools for over 2 years now. I'm 14. (Yes, that young.
blush-anim-cl.gif
) I've been at the same school ever since I started school, and I've never liked it but every year it gets worse. I have no self confidence left, I barely speak anymore and every day I end up crying because I have such a horrible time there.

The bigger problem is, I can't change schools for the simple reason that my mum doesn't want to deal with the hassle of changing a school. She likes the one I go to and won't accept that I don't. Last year I came really close to changing and was so happy, but couldn't because my mum refused to tell the school in time (you have to give my school a notice a term in advance if you want to change.) and I couldn't. But whenever I brought the subject up she either laughed like it was a joke or got annoyed and started yelling that she likes the school I'm at. This is what shes doing now too.

What can I do? She doesn't listen to me and it doesn't seem like she understands how important this is to me!

LMcConnell18

i know EXACTLY what you're talking about! i went to a school for 3 years, and then all my friends [including boyfriend] got into a fight and they all stopped talking to ME. so now i was the one left with no one at lunch, or no one after/before school. and it really sucked. i wanted to change schools hella bad but my mom wouldnt let me either. until i sat down and actually had a heart to heart talk to her. tell her how you feel and that it makes you really unhappy!
GL <3

Chic 2k6

im in the same situation right now, i wanna change colleges because im not like my courses here cept for Media. Why not tell a teacher and ask your teacher to talk to your mom?

user79

Wow your mom is kind of inconsiderate not to really listen to your needs. Have you thought about talking to a school counsellor about your desire to switch schools? You can probably do it yourself with some help of the school staff if you're so miserable where you're at now!

purplkaret

yea i went to a highschool that i hated b/c my mom thought it was "better" but i had to leave all my friends and it sucked ass. i'd say just sit it out. it feels like a long time now, but once you go to college, it's up to you what you do.

another thing u can do is talk to the counselor at school and tell them and maybe they can relay the message to your mom.

Shimmer

Know what the funny thing about changing schools is?
Usually, nothing changes, except your surroundings. I desperately wanted the same things when I was your age. New surroundings, new people, new everything.
Looking back, it wouldn't have mattered. My sense of self being as poor as it was back then, the same thing would have happened in the new school that happened in the old school: I would have grown to hate it.

Love yourself hon, that's the first step. If you truly love yourself others will see it and know it and you'll be amazed at how the world changes in the way it treats you.

Hawkeye

Gotta agree with Shimmer there. You can't run from anything it always sort of catches up with you. Sad too
ssad.gif

what is it that you dont like about school?+

Beauty Mark

Well, why don't you like the school you're at? Why does your mother like it?

I think middle school and high school can be crappy times, no matter where you are. There will always be the clique of bitchy people who derive pleasure from being awful towards you. There will always be some nice kids around to hang with, too. You just have to join activities with those kids.

If you still want to switch schools, approach your mother rationally about it. Think of reasons why the other school is better; get some academic reasons, too, not just social. Explain very thoroughly and rationally again why you don't like your school. You need to give examples sometimes. If she won't listen or if your problems are that bad, talk to a teacher or guidance counselor who will help you come up with some way of coping.

Hawkeye

Total 2nd. Anyone who tells you that High School and Middle School are the best years of your life are liers. Plain and simple.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Total 2nd. Anyone who tells you that High School and Middle School are the best years of your life are liers. Plain and simple.

I don't think college is, either. They can be good or bad, but wouldn't that be horrible if your best years are over by the time you're 18 or 20something? What do you have to look forward to
smiles.gif
?

xbeatofangelx

The best year is the one you're living in!
greengrin.gif
But it gets better, it really does. I didn't like high school either, but I just plugged along and got accepted to a great university (GO BEARS! n_n) where I met a lot of cool new people.

When I look back on my life, the time I spent in highschool is really a *blip*, and it doesn't mean much to me - and I don't really remember it.

But everyone's right in saying that you can't run away from your problems, because well, just because! =p ... A few more years won't be too long, and you'll learn to grow stronger and depend on yourself more through this experience (an invaluable trait)

Good luck!

caffn8me

Perhaps there's another member of your family you can talk to seriously who will then discuss it with your mother.

ilovexnerdsx

i agree with Shimmer. i suffer from terrible depression, and for a year and a half went to the 10th hardest school in the nation (ranked by newsweek.) i recently switched and though the stress level is down, my sense of self isn't better.

tell us dear, what is it about your school you don't like? if its the teachers or something school-specific, then switching schools would definitely help. if it's something internal, i think you should talk to a guidance counselour at your school to see what's best.

good luck!